Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know PS5 (and XBSX?) outputs 120Hz games as YCbCr color space instead of full RGB, apparently because of bandwidth limitations.
That's why you should not force your TV at High/Full black level, but use Automatic instead.

yep, Vince had video about PS5 bandwidth limitation about a month ago. XBSX can do 4k/120Hz in RGB without problems.

and yes, most TVs have working auto detection so automatic is fine.

yep, Vince had video about PS5 bandwidth limitation about a month ago. XBSX can do 4k/120Hz in RGB without problems.

and yes, most TVs have working auto detection so automatic is fine.
Not for the 2019 LG OLED TVs. There is only off, medium and high. And although low or automatic are recommended the amazing OLED black levels are no longer there when Dynamic Contrast is set to low in 2019 OLEDs. In a completely black room when you are playing the game in HDR and the screen is supposed to be black, you can see that the screen is still slightly lid.

So for people who might be willing to spend, LG Displays will sell panels capable of 1000 nits in bursts to other manufacturers.

The only company using these panels has been Panasonic, which doesn't sell their OLED TVs in the US. These are high-end, pricey models because apparently they come with speaker configurations which raise the cost.

So in 2021, Sony and LG might offer some higher end OLEDs. Actually they both sell very high-priced models, around $5000 or more for a 65-inch.

Not for the 2019 LG OLED TVs. There is only off, medium and high. And although low or automatic are recommended the amazing OLED black levels are no longer there when Dynamic Contrast is set to low in 2019 OLEDs. In a completely black room when you are playing the game in HDR and the screen is supposed to be black, you can see that the screen is still slightly lid.

Set the PS5 to limited RGB and TV to whatever is correct for limited RGB and you will be fine when the PS5 switches to YUV for 120Hz.

what movie do you think ridiculously amazing with HDR?

I just ordered a used galaxy tab S4 with HDR-capable OLED screen. wanna test when it arrive hahaha (the seller gone radio silence after i told them to not rush, just take it easy, the road are slippery due to rain nowadays.... hopefully i didn't jinx them...)

Altered Carbon on Netflix looks cool, and The Morning Show on Apple TV was surprisingly great HDR as well. Generally I really like Apple TV’s quality levels fir their own shows and movie rentals/purchase.

Use the intro sequence of Altered Carbon for some HDR goodness. I dont know if that requires the top tier of Netflix but it does require at least the Ultra HD tier. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

Also, be wary of trying it with most scene rips, as they generally do not release HDR compatible versions.

Use the intro sequence of Altered Carbon for some HDR goodness. I dont know if that requires the top tier of Netflix but it does require at least the Ultra HD tier. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

Also, be wary of trying it with most scene rips, as they generally do not release HDR compatible versions.

Thanks! I do able to play 4k hdr on Netflix on my ugly TV. Gonna try it on the tablet when it arrives

So PS5 and XSX do not support Dolby Vision?

Blunder by several parties on many levels.

PS5 would put tens of millions of UHD BD players out into the world, probably multiplying the installed base. Sony owns a studio but doesn't want to push DV?

Or maybe Dolby was demanding too much in licensing fees and missed out on a chance to have tens of millions of DV-capable players put out into the market in the next year or two.

Dolby could have made some of it up with higher licenses of DV movies, as studios might be motivate to put out more DV discs.

As it was, some studios were not releasing DV for their UHD BD releases but they would have DV in the streaming versions of those same movies.

I guess we're just going to have to get used to HDR10 ...

Hmm really, the PS5 Netflix app. won't support DV?

Does it require some kind of video processing libraries in the OS or something?

I would think both consoles are technically capable, it's more likely a business decision thing.

Too bad they won't even offer a paid firmware update for it.

Thanks! I do able to play 4k hdr on Netflix on my ugly TV. Gonna try it on the tablet when it arrives

Turns out Samsung limited the HDR only for its internal player.

So if any of you were scratching your head with your supposedly awesome hdr capable Samsung tablet and the Hdr looks weird or lacking punch... Yeah...

Googling around I found A few people got confused by this and posted on reddit and xda. I wonder why only few people, maybe because the screen unable to get too bright? It also have auto hdr to sdr mapping. Thus only few noticed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back