Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Moderna's showed better results in some respects with the strength of the immune response. Slightly more severe side effects than Pfizer, however. Perhaps you're getting them mixed up? Regardless, you'd be foolish to wait for a different vaccine if offered one you didn't like the look of. Spending a day or two in bed feeling crappy is a lot better than potentially gasping your last as your lungs fill with fluid.

With the pandemic spreading and even accelerating in many places, take a vaccine if you're in a vulnerable grouping.

Nobody knows about the length of protection of any of the vaccines, by the way. They are all too new. Best to figure strong protection is likely to last a couple of years, perhaps with further protection against severe illness lasting a bit longer. That's all we really need - protection against serious disease. Sterilising immunity too much to hope for in these early vaccines.

While your there also sign an agreement stating you accept legal responsibility for everyone you infect

Only for the hermits that still haven't learned there is a highly infectious disease out there by now, and haven't figured out how food delivery apps work. I won't miss them.

This summary from AARP shows Pfizer had more side effects than Moderna https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/covid-vaccines-compared.html

Pfizer-BioNTech
  • The most common side effects were pain at the injection site, followed by tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain and fever, according to the FDA.
  • In the United Kingdom, two health care workers reported severe allergic reactions after being vaccinated; two health care workers in Alaska reported a serious allergic reaction after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
  • In the U.S. trial, four people who received the vaccine developed Bell's palsy, which causes usually temporary paralysis in facial muscles
Moderna
  • The most common side effects were pain at the injection site, followed by tiredness, headache, muscle pain, joint pain and chills, an FDA analysis found.
  • Three trial participants who received the vaccine developed Bell's palsy.

Significance: The side effects are basically the same for each vaccine. Moss points out that the number of Bell's palsy cases in both trials is “very small and likely just represents chance,” but says “going forward we'll just need to monitor more carefully and just make sure we're looking for Bell's palsy and make sure that it's not related to the vaccine.”

When it comes to the anaphylactic reactions exhibited in Great Britain, one of the participants had a history of allergic reactions. U.S. federal officials have warned health care providers not to give the vaccine to anyone with a known history of a severe allergic reaction to any part of the vaccine, a standard caution for all vaccines. As with the Bell's palsy cases, officials are expected to watch for such reactions.

Moderna's showed better results in some respects with the strength of the immune response. Slightly more severe side effects than Pfizer, however. Perhaps you're getting them mixed up? Regardless, you'd be foolish to wait for a different vaccine if offered one you didn't like the look of. Spending a day or two in bed feeling crappy is a lot better than potentially gasping your last as your lungs fill with fluid.

With the pandemic spreading and even accelerating in many places, take a vaccine if you're in a vulnerable grouping.
I'm following my medical advisors advice when it comes to vaccinations. My wife's pharmacy is one of the major distribution hubs for our area so I've been getting pretty good updates on availability and such, and there are a whole lot of people at higher risk than me. The first round should go to the frontline fighters in this war, I can wait a bit.

They cut a deal with Pfizer for 100 million additional doses. So with the previous 100 million, they have enough to vaccinate 100 million Americans.

They already have a deal with Moderna for 400 million doses or 200 million Americans.

Astra Zeneca is the cheapest vaccine but it's results were not as promising so who knows. Heard India may approve it.

J&J is another adenovirus vector so lets see if they have better results than AZ. One main thing about J&J is that they're testing with one-shot and two-shot trials.

NovaVax is said by some to be the most promising, supposedly great at stimulating T cells. But they may not be in the picture until later.

When they have committed to cover 300 million for the first two vaccines, I wonder if there will be much interest in the latter.

Still not clear how the mechanics will work. Doctors or public health agencies will let YOU know when you can get vaccinated, especially in the first couple of months. These are all paid for by the govt. but will you be able to choose which one to get?

Maybe later vaccines which the govt. hasn't paid for will be offered to people willing to pay. These include oral vaccines and inhaler-delivered vaccines, the latter of which may prevent becoming infected.

My mother just received a letter from her gp saying soon we will be getting in touch to arrange an appointment to be vaccinated plus a second appointment 21 days later
it's for the pfizer vaccine.

IIRC it was october 1st, when I got my flu shot. Do you really think, I cared about possible side effects? And it was my first flu shot for years.

This discussion about common side effects is not very helpfull, when people - vulnerable people - get scared about.

Research and such. I didn't read it, my wife did. She knows more about these things than me so I kind of trust her judgement on it.

Sorry, I know that's not as good as linking evidence but it's the truth. LOL
You should trust your wife, but not expect us to :) My understanding was that moderna was pretty much the same as pfizer except for some aspects that have to due with additives and storage. It will be interesting as we get more data to actually find out.

They had a goal of 20 million vaccinations in December. They only did over a million by Monday.

It's taking longer than anticipated to set up vaccinations in nursing homes, which is to be expected.

You should trust your wife, but not expect us to :) My understanding was that moderna was pretty much the same as pfizer except for some aspects that have to due with additives and storage. It will be interesting as we get more data to actually find out.
I'm not asking anyone to trust my wife nor to follow my example, I was just saying what I'm doing. I'm all for a vaccine, I just want to be sure and safe.

They had a goal of 20 million vaccinations in December. They only did over a million by Monday.

It's taking longer than anticipated to set up vaccinations in nursing homes, which is to be expected.
Well if they can't figure it out they could give me a dose :). One neighbor got it already. Another is set to as well.

Last edited:
Fauci got the Moderna vaccine.

I don't think most of us will have a choice unless we wait til summer and there may be a couple other vaccines for which we have to pay out of pocket.

Back