All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@chris1515 What did Horizon and God of War they cost to make and market?

David Jaffe did a podcast the other day with someone who was working for Sony VASG San Diego until November 2020. It seems budget are between 80 to 200 millions for a AAA.

It seems ND games are not so far from 200 millions. HZD was probably much cheaper. Sony is not crazy, the budget of an entry in a successful franchise will be bigger than a new IP. After it is a matter of confidence. ND title is a "sure" hit. But With Horizon GG have it first real critical and commercial success.

But all the 10+ millions games are profitable. Days Gone is profitable too and The Order 1886 and Death Stranding are profitable, not best sellers but enough to make a little profit.

I love that good games are succeeding in the market.

I believe Sony will create a F2P game, like F2P TLOU2 factions. Or even better; a BR game with characters from all the franchises trying to kill each other. That could work as most of the games feature ranged combat and are violent anyway

I think a lot of those sony revenue numbers are bogus
"God of War(2018) generated $500 million in revenue. Digital sales of 10M+ units with a 40% digital split. Horizon Zero Dawn generated $400 million in revenue based on 8 million units sold globally (35% digital)"
It seems as if X million * $50 = the revenue quoted

I may be wrong but dont games sell for $60 at the start and then start dropping down in price, just looked here in spain god of war 2018 is now 10 euros. Sure a Lot maybe even >50% of sales happen in the initial month or two but I think the average price would be lower than exactly $50 (for 2 titles the same average price!)
If I would hazard a guess an average of $40 is closer to reality

"God of War(2018) generated $500 million in revenue. Digital sales of 10M+ units with a 40% digital split. Horizon Zero Dawn generated $400 million in revenue based on 8 million units sold globally (35% digital)"

I may be wrong but dont games sell for $60 at the start and then start dropping down in price, just looked here in spain god of war 2018 is now 10 euros. Sure a Lot maybe even >50% of sales happen in the initial month or two but I think the average price would be lower than exactly $50 (for 2 titles the same average price!)

The first month you have the standard edition at 60 dollars and there are some collector version at nearly 100 dollars. This is an approximation for sure.

This is good for exclusive games at 50 dollars average or 40 dollars average but Take Two said GTA 5 generated 1 billion of revenue after three days and they said 6 billon of lifetime revenue in 2018. The title is probably around 8/9 billions of revenue now.

And I am not surprise for average price being nearly the same. Sony price strategy is the same for all title. They sold at full price for the first two/three months after there is a PSN discount(45 or 50 dollars) and it goes back to normal price but regularly there is a PSN discount and the price drop regularly too. The average price of the game is probably nearly the same.

And sales digital share increase with time going on for Sony. Physical sales is mostly used game after the first two or three months.

Digital store completly change the lifecycle of a game. Capcom said last financial quarter they were happy of back catalog digital sales.

Last edited:

The statement says 10M+. So it could be quite higher than this.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/worldwide-digital-games-market

edit: May be bad data

Digital games earned $11.5B in November 2020, the highest monthly revenue ever.
---
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War sold 5.7M digital units in November, a 7% increase compared to the previous franchise record holder Black Ops 4.
---
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla sold 1.7M units, 50% more than Assassin’s Creed Odyssey at launch.
---
Spider-Man: Miles Morales sold 663K digital units across PlayStation 4 and 5
---
The release of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands led to the game’s highest monthly revenue since 2008 and player numbers since 2010.
---
Among Us had roughly half a billion monthly active users in November.
wat

Last edited:
Just as an FYI...

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/05/...ch-to-better-track-digital-games-and-esports/
Nielsen says it will use SuperData to provide its clients with more information about the digital side of games. It’s worth noting that SuperData (and now, by extension, Nielsen) gets its data about digital sales by analyzing consumer behavior, which is inherently flawed. The NPD Group, however, gets its data directly from video game publishers.

I also remember this company was using VGChartz numbers as a source of information as well.

The first month you have the standard edition at 60 dollars and there are some collector version at nearly 100 dollars. This is an approximation for sure.

This is good for exclusive games at 50 dollars average or 40 dollars average but Take Two said GTA 5 generated 1 billion of revenue after three days and they said 6 billon of lifetime revenue in 2018. The title is probably around 8/9 billions of revenue now.

And I am not surprise for average price being nearly the same. Sony price strategy is the same for all title. They sold at full price for the first two/three months after there is a PSN discount(45 or 50 dollars) and it goes back to normal price but regularly there is a PSN discount and the price drop regularly too. The average price of the game is probably nearly the same.
I admit I didnt think about collector titles costing $100 but really how many % of sales are those, I cant imagine its more than a couple of percent though perhaps Im wrong.
A lot of the revenue from GTA etc are from microtransactions, perhaps they are factoring this in the sony calculations to come to $50 a game.
Im guessing they just use $50 as a default industrywide average selling price for a title

I admit I didnt think about collector titles costing $100 but really how many % of sales are those, I cant imagine its more than a couple of percent though perhaps Im wrong.
A lot of the revenue from GTA etc are from microtransactions, perhaps they are factoring this in the sony calculations to come to $50 a game.
Im guessing they just use $50 as a default industrywide average selling price for a title

GTA 5 have GTA Online and microtransaction too but they sold 135 million unit too and probably more now 140?.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/08/03/...lion-sold-as-spending-surges-during-pandemic/

Featuring the global games market value, boxed vs digital spending, best-selling games, and - of course - pets

Information Sources

• Newzoo, for the global games market value and boxed vs digital revenues
  • Sensor Tower, for the biggest mobile games, publishers and countries by revenue and downloads
  • GfK Entertainment, for the UK's best-selling boxed games of the year
  • NPD Group, for the US' best-selling games of the year
  • Famitsu, for Japan's best-selling boxed console games of the year
  • ICO, for the most covered games
  • Fancensus, for the biggest influencers, livestreams and most discussed games on Twitter
  • Ampere Analysis, for the crossover in console ownership in the UK
  • Niko Partners for the number of gamers in China
jpg

Ah, but how many refunded!? ;)
But it includes the returns no?
Yes, returns included:
This figure represents the estimated volume of retail sales across all hardware platforms (factoring in returns submitted by retail clients in brick-and-mortar as well as digital storefronts), i.e. the “sell-through” figure, less all refund requests e-mailed directly to the Company by the publication date of this report in the framework of the “Help Me Refund” campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back