Dolby Digital : Why Nvidia is laggier than AMD and default Microsoft driver?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
So I published tutorials on my YouTube for making all pc games able to output surround sound thru Dolby digital.

Interesting result

• People with Nvidia cards complains its laggy
  • People with amd cards says it have no lag or only very little lag

Then I found out that the lag on Nvidia cards can be eliminated by using default Microsoft hdmi HD audio driver instead. Confirmed to work for other people thru my YouTube viewer's comments.

Any idea why Nvidia is laggier than AMD and default Microsoft driver?

So I published tutorials on my YouTube for making all pc games able to output surround sound thru Dolby digital.

Interesting result

• People with Nvidia cards complains its laggy
  • People with amd cards says it have no lag or only very little lag

Then I found out that the lag on Nvidia cards can be eliminated by using default Microsoft hdmi HD audio driver instead. Confirmed to work for other people thru my YouTube viewer's comments.

Any idea why Nvidia is laggier than AMD and default Microsoft driver?

I didn't realise that was possible. I'd be interested in giving it a try if you can post a link to the video. I still connect my PC to an amp directly via spdif.

I didn't realise that was possible. I'd be interested in giving it a try if you can post a link to the video. I still connect my PC to an amp directly via spdif.

Antivirus will automatically remove one of the files and the apo installation will complain of missing file, simply click ignore / skip.

But as you use spdif port directly from pc to amp, thr step on Fx configuration will be different. Select your active spdif output instead of hdmi.

Lag fix for Nvidia

I think what TOC is saying ... If you have a receiver you don't need eArc unless it does not handle 4K display modes and that's what your display is.

PC > AVR > Display

I think what TOC is saying ... If you have a receiver you don't need eArc unless it does not handle 4K display modes and that's what your display is.

PC > AVR > Display
thank, i understand now. yes that would work.

So why the hassle? I suppose someone might have a shiny new 4k tv but not a 4k receiver as BRiT mentioned. Though I'm not sure if there are many people with a surround system that can actually make the surround effect work properly that buy a 4k tv and not upgrade their receiver.

Alternatively, wouldn't it be easier to just use spdif if you have a 4k tv but your receiver doesn't support 4k?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I always think your projects are always fun and quirky but I cannot help but feel you always try to make things harder than they have to be :p

Antivirus will automatically remove one of the files and the apo installation will complain of missing file, simply click ignore / skip.

But as you use spdif port directly from pc to amp, thr step on Fx configuration will be different. Select your active spdif output instead of hdmi.

Lag fix for Nvidia

Thanks! I'll give this a try at the weekend. One of my bug bears since literally the days of the original Xbox has been the lack of ability to use Dolby Digital on my amp from my PC. I never did get an nforce capable chipset.

So why the hassle? I suppose someone might have a shiny new 4k tv but not a 4k receiver as BRiT mentioned. Though I'm not sure if there are many people with a surround system that can actually make the surround effect work properly that buy a 4k tv and not upgrade their receiver.

Alternatively, wouldn't it be easier to just use spdif if you have a 4k tv but your receiver doesn't support 4k?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I always think your projects are always fun and quirky but I cannot help but feel you always try to make things harder than they have to be :p

SPDIF doesn't do LPCM surround. But with my tutorial it can do Dolby surround.

Anyway

I'm just glad lots of people got helped by my tutorials. Their replies were a delight to read.

And, the most important thing : These tutorial videos nets me a nice adsense money and donations :D

PC > AVR > Display
thank, i understand now. yes that would work.

Lag fix for Nvidia

Hey orangpelupa, will this work using the HDMI out from an Intel integrated GPU? Like on the i5-2500k?

Regards,
SB

Hey orangpelupa, will this work using the HDMI out from an Intel integrated GPU? Like on the i5-2500k?

Regards,
SB

some people commented it does work. but when i tried myself it doesn't work.

hmm, maybe try with using default windows HD audio hdmi driver? It should have zero effect compared to intel hd audio hdmi driver for most setup.

OK, so I finally got it working, but now a problem.

Everything works fine in 5.1 except for Amazon Prime Video ... aaaaauuuuugggggghhhhhhh.

Apparently when Amazon detects that you're on PC it sends a 2 speaker stream rather than a 5.1 speaker stream. Fair enough, thought annoying. But when it does that then the Dolby Spatializer thing which spread 2.0 channel audio across 5.1 channels doesn't do anything. It's still just 2 speakers.

So, this is a problem because Amazon is sending the DD 5.1 channel audio stream with the video, it's just that it only contains 2 channels of audio. @orangpelupa's fix see's that it's DD 5.1 and so it doesn't spread the audio across multiple channels.

Grrrrrr, don't suppose you know a way to fix that @orangpelupa ? :D

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
OK, so I finally got it working, but now a problem.

Everything works fine in 5.1 except for Amazon Prime Video ... aaaaauuuuugggggghhhhhhh.

Apparently when Amazon detects that you're on PC it sends a 2 speaker stream rather than a 5.1 speaker stream. Fair enough, thought annoying. But when it does that then the Dolby Spatializer thing which spread 2.0 channel audio across 5.1 channels doesn't do anything. It's still just 2 speakers.

So, this is a problem because Amazon is sending the DD 5.1 channel audio stream with the video, it's just that it only contains 2 channels of audio. @orangpelupa's fix see's that it's DD 5.1 and so it doesn't spread the audio across multiple channels.

Grrrrrr, don't suppose you know a way to fix that @orangpelupa ? :D

Regards,
SB

uh... the fix is called "the high seas" where you can *ahem* uh .... "grab"... pristine video file of "AMZN". *cough*.

then you can play it with Splash video player or MPV or MPC+MadVR and enjoy awesome quality, much better than stock player from any streaming company :p

Unfortunately I only have Netflix subscription (oh and D, so i cant fiddle with amazon and try to find a fix or workaround :( :( :(

EDIT:

since 2018 !!!!

Back