A Generational Leap in Graphics [2020] *Spawn*

RDR2, doom eternal, HZD, detroit, death stranding, GoT, to todays CP2077 its not the big leap as ps2/3 and 4 leaps indeed.
PS4 to 5 is a sublte increase in perf thats why the diminishing returns.
I think many call 2077 true leap cause its the best weve got so far.

Even better will come, might be BF6 yes, hope so, and hopefully in modern war again.

I'm assuming you mean to compare BF4 and BFV?

BF4 PS4

BFV PS4

It was a pretty large improvement. BF4 looks very dated by comparison. Even the PC version on max settings looks quite dated.

BF4 PC

BF4 fares even worse compared to BF One which was overall a better looking game than BFV. Especially on consoles.
Yes sorry, BF4 and BF5. They both look like PS4 games, one earlier and one later.

Is it true that in Call of Duty Cold War the consoles are performing above 2070 level with RT turned on?

Doesn't the console use a lot of "hacks" like resolution scaling/lower settings?
I mean, watching Digital Foundry's image quality reviews they always have a Max and Min resolution (and often talk about what settings the console are compared to the PC and those are never HIGH)...indicating that I would taking any console performance claims with a grain of salt as they seem NOT to be apples to apples.

You can compare for yourself:

PC: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - PC Max Settings - A First Look At Next-Gen Multiplayer Visuals? - YouTube
Console: COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis! - YouTube

Anyway, is FIFA 2021 considered a generational leap?

As an overall package, definitely not. Thanks to their limited scope, most sports games already looked near photorealistic on last gen console. I'd certainly say the hair rendering could be considered a generational leap though.

Not so much on PC

Yes, as is the custom with FIFA games, PC gamers don't get to enjoy the next gen upgrades as soon as console gamers.

I look at games as new benchmark rather than worrying about what is and isn’t a “generational leap.”

If a game comes out that sets the new benchmark in graphical technology, it becomes the new benchmark. Ideally, it doesn’t age well as others feel they can do even better their own game and become the new benchmark.

If CP is still the benchmark 3 years from now, that’s boring.

It is unfair to look at the hair in Fifa 2021 and say: "the consoles are so far above the PC with that technology it's like a generational leap"

Yet a lot of people compare CP2077 PC with consoles which are essentially running the same settings as 7 year old consoles which were considered outdated by those people when they released in 2013.

Games like Call of Duty, Dirt 5, and other show that the next generation consoles can run the same settings as current "high end" (+1300 euro) PCs with frame rate being the only factor as they are "visually indistinguishable at normal viewing distances" (which is what Alex from DF is saying about the blurry DLSS artefacts; they are supposedly "visually indistinguishable at normal viewing distances" so that would apply to consoles as well I presume).

I think even the 2013 version of CP2077 looks great (aside from the bugs), and I don't doubt for a second that the eventual PS5 version will be "visually indistinguishable at normal viewing distances" from the PC version with RT effects and everything.

It is unfair to look at the hair in Fifa 2021 and say: "the consoles are so far above the PC with that technology it's like a generational leap"

Yet a lot of people compare CP2077 PC with consoles which are essentially running the same settings as 7 year old consoles which were considered outdated by those people when they released in 2013.

Games like Call of Duty, Dirt 5, and other show that the next generation consoles can run the same settings as current "high end" (+1300 euro) PCs with frame rate being the only factor as they are "visually indistinguishable at normal viewing distances" (which is what Alex from DF is saying about the blurry DLSS artefacts; they are supposedly "visually indistinguishable at normal viewing distances" so that would apply to consoles as well I presume).

I think even the 2013 version of CP2077 looks great (aside from the bugs), and I don't doubt for a second that the eventual PS5 version will be "visually indistinguishable at normal viewing distances" from the PC version with RT effects and everything.

I very much doubt that.
The new consoles have ~RTX 2060 performance in raytracing.
That is last gen PC performance.
The consoles simply lack the perfomance (TF) to make such a claim, especially when CyberPunk 2077 uses mutiple RT effects and can crank them up to "11" on the PC.

But instead of pointlessly debating "what if", lets wait for the RT-patch and compare...but I have a feeling you will find your optimism based on wishful thinking.

CP2077 is cross gen as well..

And?

PS5 GPU = ~10.3 TF GPU
RTX 2080 Ti = 13.5 TF GPU
RTX 3080 = 17-30TF GPU (depending on the IINT32/FP32 ratio) + 58 TF Ray performance

You are comparing a moped to a Suzuki Hayabusa, sorry to say.

And the PC will be higher resolution, better I.Q. at better or similar FPS.

Unless you are suggesting "magical cores"?

And?

PS5 GPU = ~10.3 TF GPU
RTX 2080 Ti = 13.5 TF GPU
RTX 3080 = 17-30TF GPU (depending on the IINT32/FP32 ratio) + 58 TF Ray performance

You are comparing a moped to a Suzuki Hayabusa, sorry to say.

And the PC will be higher resolution, better I.Q. at better or similar FPS.

Unless you are suggesting "magical cores"?

CP2077 is a cross gen game with the character models, environments, AI logic, every single thing outside of the RT/lighting is designed to run on 2013 consoles with +- 1TF GPUs and netbook CPUs and 5.5GB of shared video/system memory...

Imagine how impressed you will be once actual next generation titles are developed?

designed to run on 2013 consoles with +- 1TF GPUs and netbook CPUs and 5.5GB of shared video/system memory...

Designed to run on 2013 base consoles.... lol. You gotta be kidding, right?

2077 is currently at the top, a true next gen experience (as per DF). I assume we will see better, thats a given. Perhaps the next Battlefield or doom.

Having to address 2013 hardware will absolutely impact what CDPR could and couldn't do. Let's say their baseline was a net gen console and equivalent PC specs. You'd naturally see a lot more polish and optimization as the scope would be a lot tighter. So yeah, any multi gen game will be impact by having a lowest common denominator that weak to work from.

A good indication of this is their Patch Notes for 1.05 where they removed AVX instructions. That's a compromise.

A good indication of this is their Patch Notes for 1.05 where they removed AVX instructions. That's a compromise.

Did you know that every processor from 2011 on, including the last generation consoles, supports AVX?

Removing the instructions is not a compromise, it is merely the developer understanding that they don't have the technical ability to implement it correctly, and thus removing it prevents the game from crashing as much as it does.

I am a bit dissapointed by cross gen policy of the two platform holder by Jim Ryan, "we believe in generation" and "no crossplay for protecting the children". Phil Spencer was at least honest. The funny fact he believes people are idiot and coronavirus was the reason the game are cross gen. Like you can decide in 6 months to do a PS4 version of a game.:LOL:

EA said they will wait 1 year after PS5 and Xbox Series S|X to launch the new Battlefield, and I am curious to see Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I am a bit dissapointed by cross gen policy of the two platform holder by Jim Ryan, "we believe in generation" and "no crossplay for protecting the children". Phil Spencer was at least honest. The funny fact he believes people are idiot and coronavirus was the reason the game are cross gen. Like you can decide in 6 months to do a PS4 version of a game.:LOL:

EA said they will wait 1 year after PS5 and Xbox Series S|X to launch the new Battlefield, and I am curious to see Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
Jim Ryan is even worse than Phil Spencer. I can't wait to see him replaced by someone else. He is so terrible I would even prefer Don Mattrick at this point. Somehow he was at least more likeable than Ryan.

I am a bit dissapointed by cross gen policy of the two platform holder by Jim Ryan, "we believe in generation"

It means that at least Blueprint and Insomniac explained to Sony that they wanted to create the DS remake or Ratchet and Clank: Rift apart for the PS5 specification, instead of being hindered by the (120+ million install base) PS4 spec. And Jim Ryan agreed to this, knowing that both games could easily sell 10 millions each if they were also on PS4. Whereas it will take at least 3 years before any game is able to sell 10 million copies on PS5 only.

Back