Formula 1 - 2020 Season

If Bottas is as average as you say then the only conclusion I can make is that Hamilton is overrated too.
How so? If you can only measure a driver against their teammate in a generally (see RIC vs VER in the RBs, when I learned the faster driver in practice got the faster engine—new engines have decent hp variability) equal car, HAM is great. We can argue about the level of his later teammates, but his rookie season was alongside reigning champ Alonso, both new to McLaren.

I’m not the biggest fan of his public persona, but you can’t argue with his quality.

This year was pretty great for F1 racing and stories. I hope McLaren makes a step forward next year and we see RIC fighting VER on track again.

what kind of question is that? dont you think any news of his condition worsening would front page news?

Here is his https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton?s=20 and his https://www.instagram.com/lewishamilton/

No updates since dec. 1st. It's a little bit unusual for him. And here a small statement from Toto Wolff (german), https://www.formel1.de/news/news/20...h-haesslich-was-sich-lewis-da-eingetreten-hat
Cortana translates:
(Motorsport-Total.com) - The seven-time world champion has gone into hiding since it was revealed a week ago that Lewis Hamilton had been infected with the coronavirus. Otherwise always active on Instagram & Co., he seems to be consistently isolating himself in his hotel room in Bahrain in view of his COVID-19 illness - and also to avoid the virtual public. ...
"It's pretty ugly what he's done," Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said at a media talk of the broadcaster Sky, which will broadcast Formula One exclusively live in Germany in 2021. "And if you're not at home, but lying in your room, it's obviously unpleasant."

As for his physical condition, Hamilton is now "better off," Wolff warns cautiously: "I think he's on the right track. If the doctors' prognosis is correct, he could be able to deliver a negative test on Thursday or Friday."

Or am I a drama queen?

-------
Code:
https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/1336313684159819778?s=20

Last edited:
Really happy for Perez! Always liked him, his driving style is quite unique and he is consistent.
Maybe not an explosive star like Max, but he will be there to deliver results, points and keep Verstappen very honest :)

Happy for Perez, really deserved to stay in the game. Bit of a shame for Albon.

Kvyat is out for Tsunoda too at Alfa Tauri, sad but understandable, Kvyat had a pretty meh first 2/3 of the season.

I am really looking forward to a season where Max will have a competitive teammate again.
yeah will be interesting. max needs to beat perez if his prince of f1 persona is going to fly

leclerc and sainz will be a really strong pairing imho, same with lando and danny ric
alonso will dominate ocon i trust, if not alonso has to hang up his helmet

A shame for racing point though. Both Stroll and Vettel were mediocre this year. Both fairly and completely outclassed by their teammate.

well stroll did get a pole in difficult conditions, he is improving i guess.

Personally I would be careful in assessing a driver that is quick on either W10 or W11. It seems those car are easier to drive and easier to extract its maximum performance. When someone like Hulk, although experienced, but they put him immediately on the hot seat and still perform decently + Russell, although very talented, but still he is coming from a different car with different controls and everything, still able to match and even exceed Bottas, I have no doubt that the car itself might have flatter the driver.
I actually think Vettel will do great on Aston. If he has a car that easy to drive, thus he can do whatever he wants with the car, he should be able to extract the maximum performance of that car. I actually won't be surprised if Vettel perform better on RP vs Perez.

This doesn't mean Perez is slow tho, but I don't think he would trouble Ver. At best, it would be like Ham vs Bot, where Bottas is actually close to Lewis most of the times, also behind most of the times. At worst, he would perform like Gasly, Albon, or Kvyat during their RB stint. I think he would be closer to Ver, but still not close enough to trouble Mercs like what Ver want from Perez.

Of course that is just my speculation. I have a feeling that RB is actually a difficult car to drive and with Perez I hope I can see whether the problem is with the car or the driver. Do we have a situation like in Honda MotoGP bike where basically only a single person can ride it fast? Currently on the grid, I feel like only Ham, Ric, Alo, and maybe Leclerc that can drive a difficult car without a lengthy adjustment period. That doesn't mean that other driver can't drive as fast as them. Like I've said before, I think Vettel can do great on Aston. Also a driver like Ric, although I rate him high in terms of adaptability, especially in driving a difficult car, I don't think he has the ultimate pace as the other driver I mentioned.

Having said all of that, if Perez does ended up close (or on par/better) to Ver, then you really need to put question mark on Gas, Alb, Kvyat, and basically their driver academy program.

Other than that, I really hope Tsunoda won't disappoint. And I hope someone can challenge Mercs at the start of the season.

Merc themselves have said that this year’s car had “sweet” handling.

Still funny that Hulk could jump into the RP for two short weekends and give them enough feedback to rework the rear suspension (not to Stroll’s liking).

Interesting that Stroll complained of losing tire temp in the last GP yet gets a pole in the one race with the lowest tire temp of all.

Back