Gears 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Gears 5 is a cool looking game if you can get past the Nu-Metal baggage it carries with it. Its got striking things to show you. The desert of the Vasgar hub is especially cool with its red and black sand contrasting against the Vasgar ruins and relics of the UIR space program. One thing that sticks out, though, is that absolutely none of those larger structures cast self-shadows. It's especially noticeable given the size of these structures and how dramatically the desert hub is lit - and because there's no baked lighting in the desert's exterior at all - and I'm guessing it's one thing that just had to go to hit native 4K60. And I think I'd take those shadows over 4K any day. It's a drag there's no option to restore them on PC.

I know this is old news but I found myself giving Gears 5 a proper shake recently and really enjoying it. It's arguably the only truly good Gears campaign and it really snuck up on me. So I figured I'd make this thread.

Gears 5 DLC.
This is the sort of thing I've been saying they should do for the XS launch window. Shame they only put video out week before release, instead of week before console release, just to help with narrative.
Short around 3 hours DLC, that looks impressive (to me anyway). Coalition looks like their working their magic again.
Going into Gamepass Ultimate day one also.

For anyone who hasn't tried out the updates from Operation 5 yet, it may seem like a lot to take in over the changes to Horde character classes, but its not so overwhelming. The gears forums has a class semi-guide with some of the more beneficial pairings of card abilities.

They did add in the scorcher weapon (flame thrower). It is an absolute blast to use in Horde with a class that has Ammo Regen perk. No need to swap out to weapon lockers. So many screams. So many charred corpses. Just set the world on fire.

For anyone who hasn't tried out the updates from Operation 5 yet, it may seem like a lot to take in over the changes to Horde character classes, but its not so overwhelming. The gears forums has a class semi-guide with some of the more beneficial pairings of card abilities.

They did add in the scorcher weapon (flame thrower). It is an absolute blast to use in Horde with a class that has Ammo Regen perk. No need to swap out to weapon lockers. So many screams. So many charred corpses. Just set the world on fire.
The flame thrower honestly, is the ultimate anti-jedi weapon. Surprised they didn't pack a whack of them to kill jedi.

Looking forward to testing out that DLC with my new gpu. Is there word on whether the next-gen console upgrades are coming to PC with that DLC?

my XSX is arriving today this and ori2 will be first games i am gonna try

Ori 2...Ori 2...Ori 2...

I'll keep chanting that at you until you play it on the XBS-X in 120 FPS mode. It's absolutely sublime and breathtakingly beautiful at 120 FPS in 4k.

Gears 5 is good too, but Ori 2 is just something incredibly special. Also play the first Ori if you haven't. It's also phenomenally great, IMO.

If you have HDR, Ori 2 is also one of the best showcases for HDR that exists.

Regards,
SB

I played Ori 1 on my pc unfortunately sdr and 1080p. I saw all DF vid on Ori 2 and knew this is the first game I need to play on my XSX 4K hdr. Unfortunately I don’t have 120 FPS but oh my god this game is absolutely gorgeous. It’s like beautiful piece of art coming to life. And the sound just wow. My language is to simple to express how beautiful this game is.

I played Ori 1 on my pc unfortunately sdr and 1080p. I saw all DF vid on Ori 2 and knew this is the first game I need to play on my XSX 4K hdr. Unfortunately I don’t have 120 FPS but oh my god this game is absolutely gorgeous. It’s like beautiful piece of art coming to life. And the sound just wow. My language is to simple to express how beautiful this game is.

OK, I'll give you a pass on 120 FPS and stop chanting Ori 2 at you. :)

Regards,
SB

Gears 5 DLC.
This is the sort of thing I've been saying they should do for the XS launch window. Shame they only put video out week before release, instead of week before console release, just to help with narrative.
Short around 3 hours DLC, that looks impressive (to me anyway). Coalition looks like their working their magic again.
Going into Gamepass Ultimate day one also.
Apparently this is installed via the in-game store, not as an update from the Xbox/WinStore.

Gears now has options as to what you want installed, not that different from Halo Master Chief Collection.

Your choices from the Xbox Manage This Game screen:
  • Gears 5 = 83.6 GB
  • Gears 5 HiveBusters = 10.1 MB
From inside the game you have the following options (Everything = 91 GB):
  • Gears 5 Mandatory Base = 42 GB
  • Campaign HiveBusters DLC = 8 GB
  • Full Campaign = 19 GB
  • MultiPlayer = 10 GB
  • Full Customization = 12 GB
Upon startup after today's update:

fe400674-1b7e-435b-b379-b6d9fd58e885_Thumbnail.PNG

Inside the Options menu:

d3e2c6a5-f039-4a2d-bde2-43ee65965ffe_Thumbnail.PNG

I just finished main camping and started dlc. Wow just wow great action packed shooter. Main campaign was excellent, good story, great fights, good use of new mechanics lots of different encounters. And on XSX looked amazing, hdr in this game is something else. Not all locations looked excellent some were just ok in man campaign.
But the dlc omg i played just 3 missions and all of them were simply gorgeous. Locations atmosphere just perfect I am taking screenshots like every five minutes. The missions itself like a great action movies with spectacular endings.

Gears 5 is coming to Games with Gold for February 1-28. First Series X|S optimized title to come to the service. Although if you got For Honor in August 2018 it has since received a Optimized for Series X|S patch. I've updated my spreadsheet to keep track of the Series X|S games coming to Games with Gold now that it looks like it's sticking around. :rolleyes:

Tommy McClain

Back