I picked a surprisingly timely day to give Eternal a try for the first time, given that QuakeCon just started. Speaking of QuakeCon, I think just booting up (technically logging into, as it requires a Bethesda.net account) Eternal nets you some new QC related skins, if you’re into that.

Finally a game where there isn't a reload button! :oops: Classic gameplay, finally. I play on PC and my gaming mouse has 11 buttons but I am glad that you don't need all of them.

@Scott_Arm was right, play it. It's on gamepass now btw.

p.s. I didn't dislike Doom 2016 but wasn't a big fan either, this one is different.

Last edited:
Been playing the crap out of Doom Eternal on Nintendo Switch for the past week. I absolutely adored Doom 2016. It had a singular focus on fantastic gameplay that really got the adrenaline pumping. Doom 2016 certainly ranks up top as my favorite Switch games. So when Eternal was announced, I was super excited to play it. My faith in a Switch port was starting to buckle after months of silence, but then bam, release date announced and two weeks later it was out on Switch. Eternal expands so much on Doom 2016. New gameplay mechanics are injected that truly do change the approach to battles. I think I like the simplicity of Doom 2016 a bit more, but its close, the dash mechanic does feel great to use. The in increased focus on story, platforming and exploration are going to be hit and miss for people. If you loved the non stop action of Doom 2016 with nothing getting in the way, Eternal might feel like it has some lulls in the game. I liked it though, had a lot of Metroid Prime feels to it platforming.

Panic Button did a good job of porting Eternal to Switch. The gameplay is intact. The sense of speed and controller response is great. Other than Doom 2016 on Switch, no other 30fps game feels this responsive. The framerate holds tight to 30fps most of the time, more so than Doom 2016 did, but the visuals have taken a bigger hit with the conversion of Eternal. LOD's pop in at extremely close range, and many of the textures look like they are two steps away from being fully loaded. It just isnt a very good looking game on Switch. The red haze of Mars in Doom 2016 with the smaller environments hid a lot of the cut backs made to get it onto Switch. Eternal isnt just a blurry version of the game, texture decals literally pop in within 25 feet of the player at times. The environments similar to Doom 2016 look decent enough, but all the new more organic and grander environments just don't look very good at all on Switch. So Panic Button did a good job or porting the game and retaining the excellent gameplay, but they didnt have any miracles up their sleeve to preserve the excellent visuals from other consoles, even when targeting a much lower resolution.

For me, its still a blast to play it on Switch, but for many, the visual compromises will be too much to stomach.

What difficulty are you playing on? Did you leave extra lives turned on? Are you planning to go back and try again?
Playing on the easiest setting. I just wanted to get through the game, but it's a very different game than the previous game. I'll probably just skip it at this point. I've had my fill of the game. Just regret buying it at launch (including DLC).

Many might disagree but i find Doom 3 (2004) still the best doom of them all. Eternal has gone too much modern to me. The visuals are top notch though.

LOL, most people would disagree with you but that is ok, opinions and shit. Doom 3 is a good horror shooter, but you do not feel powerful in Doom 3 like you do in other Doom games. Its more Dead Space than Doom in my opinion. Doom 3 is a great game, but it feels nothing like playing Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. I became a huge fan of Doom with Doom 2016, and Eternal has been a worthy successor to one of the greatest games of the generation. I remember hating Doom 64 back in the N64 days because it was so dark, didn't realize that was the developers mistake and you could alter your TV settings to fix it. After playing Doom 64 on my Switch, I realized what an underappreciated gem it was.

I'd like to see a raytraced version of Doom 3. I enjoyed it a lot back in the day (after some modifications, like a stronger shotgun). Delta labs was a little too long though, and I think the Xbox version nailed the pacing a lot better (plus they added the ghostly hallway apparition of the chainsaw/party-hat guy).

LOL, most people would disagree with you but that is ok, opinions and shit. Doom 3 is a good horror shooter, but you do not feel powerful in Doom 3 like you do in other Doom games. Its more Dead Space than Doom in my opinion. Doom 3 is a great game, but it feels nothing like playing Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. I became a huge fan of Doom with Doom 2016, and Eternal has been a worthy successor to one of the greatest games of the generation. I remember hating Doom 64 back in the N64 days because it was so dark, didn't realize that was the developers mistake and you could alter your TV settings to fix it. After playing Doom 64 on my Switch, I realized what an underappreciated gem it was.

Yea, its strange, i just love Doom 3 the most still :p Theres a coop mod for it, so you can play it with someone else over LAN. Adds alot to the game.

I'd like to see a raytraced version of Doom 3.

Now that would be something. Ray traced shadows atleast, the game was all about shadows...

he Xbox version nailed the pacing a lot better

The xbox version was an amazing port at the time. It looked beyond anything else at the time on console. Back then i thought 'now thats how you port pc games to console'. Game had realtime DD5.1 aswell, and kept most of the games visuals intact.

I just started playing this. This early in the game is really fun. The environments look freaking awesome. I loved doom 2016, but the enviroments could feel a little too depressing =P The environments in Eternal look a lot more fun =)

I´m afraid I wont like it the further I get. I dont think I have that much trouble with the whole "keep-chaning-you-weapon"-loop, but from what I´ve played so far and seen in clips and reviews the game seem to be alot more chaotic. There seem to be soooo many enemies at once, and they seem to be faster and have more dangerous attacks. This coupled with all the differens weapons, mods, abilities etc I think I might find it more than I can keep up with. Doom 2016 seemed like it was just enough for me. I think someone who is really good at fps, and especialy on pc, would love this game. Im just a casual player on console though.

And from what I´ve seen I think I will hate the marauders =(

Anyone who felt like me but who now have changed their minds?

I just started playing this. This early in the game is really fun. The environments look freaking awesome. I loved doom 2016, but the enviroments could feel a little too depressing =P The environments in Eternal look a lot more fun =)

I´m afraid I wont like it the further I get. I dont think I have that much trouble with the whole "keep-chaning-you-weapon"-loop, but from what I´ve played so far and seen in clips and reviews the game seem to be alot more chaotic. There seem to be soooo many enemies at once, and they seem to be faster and have more dangerous attacks. This coupled with all the differens weapons, mods, abilities etc I think I might find it more than I can keep up with. Doom 2016 seemed like it was just enough for me. I think someone who is really good at fps, and especialy on pc, would love this game. Im just a casual player on console though.

Graphically its top notch (one of the most impressive last generation), but the gameplay, its not really how i'd want a Doom to be. I like more what Doom 3 did, but it seems the series went more fast paced action after that.

Doom 2016 is one of the best games i ever played. I really love everything about this game, its a perfect mix of briliant fast pace shooter and horror/exploration game. I was very excited for Eterernal, i didnt watch any vids any spoilers nothing. And when i got the chance to play it first time on PC i hated it. I didnt like new parkour/crazy combo style gameplay. To me it kinda killed atmosphere and i felt like i am not the target audience for this title. I gave it a a couple of tries and always felt like i am forcing myself to play it and hope that it will click later, but never has.
Than some time later my friend wouldn't shut up about how great this game is, and i decided to revisit it on xsx. It took me few hours but it finally clicked for me. Finally i got used to chaos and quick action/response. Everything started to happened natural and then i realised its more like playing some kind of music game, twisted "PaRappa the Rapper" :D or guitar hero
You just go with the flow and you are the conductor in this mayhem symphony on the screen. Its a great game when you find your "flow"

Graphically its top notch (one of the most impressive last generation), but the gameplay, its not really how i'd want a Doom to be. I like more what Doom 3 did, but it seems the series went more fast paced action after that.

Doom 3 was the outlier.

Doom 1 and 2 - fast paced, lots of enemies, sometimes LOTS of enemies.
Doom 3 - slow paced, very few enemies at a time.
Doom 2016 and Eternal - Fast paced, lots of enemies, combo bonuses, platforming, and glory kills.

So, if you just eliminate Doom 3, you can see an evolution of Doom as each builds on the previous games. Doom 3 just doesn't fit into the Doom (game) universe in any way, shape or form. It does fit into the Doom (story) universe, but I was always into the gameplay more than the meager story, so I hated Doom 3 with a passion.

That said, I really don't like the glory kills in the new Doom games, but those aren't as bad as the slow ass boring pace of Doom 3. :p

Regards,
SB

Back