Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
cyberpunk.jpg

ps5 looks like it has a sharpen filter, but it does look like series x is lower resolution
though looking at some videos of this game, yes its apparent many 1000s of work hours have gone into the content but graphically its not mindblowing
That is the video encoding. Something while encoding the video seems to have really gone wrong. As if the XsX was encoded in 720p while the PS5 version was encoded at >1080p. The Series X version (in that video) has also much more encoding artifacts. I really don't know if he does that intentional or it was just an oversight. I guess last, but it happens more regular nowadays that he had problems with his videos.

Btw, the loading time he mentioned in his video won't change much when transferred to the internal SSD of the PS5 (I really don't know why he did that if he wanted to make such a video, it just makes now sense to artificially create this problem in a side by side comparison). But as this is a BC title, the CPU should more or less be the limiting factor for the loading times (if his external SSD isn't that old and slow).
I first played the game on my external SSD (where my BC games go) and than transferred it onto the internal SSD of my series x. Loading times (just like with other BC titles) didn't really change.

Btw, on Windows the games has a Bug with AMD (Ryzen) CPUs
PSA: AMD CPU? You can DOUBLE your FPS! : cyberpunkgame (reddit.com)

It seem like it fixed the threads count on the core-count and ignoring HT/SMT on AMD hardware, because of the Bulldozer-CPUs. This shouldn't be used for Ryzen CPUs (also present in the consoles). But as this should only be a windows related bug (that is still not fixed) it might explain the dips on the xbox (which still uses windows at it's core) in the 60fps mode. This would explain why the 1.04 patch increased resolution on the series x but performance didn't decrease. If the performance-dips are CPU related, the resolution increase did just not matter at all (for the GPU).

But to really compare this game, we might need to way half a year, until next gen patches are out and the bugs of the next-gen patched got patched.

Overall, I'm still playing this game in Quality mode because the quality is so much higher in this mode and performance really does not matter for this game. It is not a fast paced shooter where 60fps make a difference. It is still a "slow" RPG at it's heart.

Hang on.. what? Series X can't run the Xbox One disc version without a patch?

At all? How? Why!?!
yeah, that is a bit strange. After all a bit strange for a windows-based console. But we are living in times where games come out and aren't playable without a zero day patch. So it really doesn't make such a big difference. But maybe MS fixes this in future OS updates. After all this "bug" should be fixed by them.

edit:
just seeing, that nxgamer did the same (worse encoding on the xbox video) also on his last video. Really don't know what I should think of that.

Last edited:
Because the system knows there is a "better" version available for it. Gears 5 is the same way I think. You can't run the disc version, only the enhanced one.
Is this normal on Xbox? If there is a patched version of the game you just can't play the unpatched version? Really? :???:

It simply can't be, how else were NX Gamer and DF able to test the disc version of Assassin's Creed Unity?

Is this normal on Xbox? If there is a patched version of the game you just can't play the unpatched version? Really? :???:

It simply can't be, how else were NX Gamer and DF able to test the disc version of Assassin's Creed Unity?

Possibly requires putting the console into offline mode then attempting to install the game? Maybe they attempted to install the game while still connected to the network? *shrug*

I know you can install games without applying patches -- a few weeks back I tested installing AC Unity from Optical on the One X and told it to skip applying the patches at that time.

Patch v. 104
- Slight resolution increase in ONE (now average is 792p)
- Some lighting bugs have been fixed.
- The shadows stay the same.
- They have improved the quality of the textures. This has a negative impact on performance, which has deteriorated in some areas.
- The Series X version has increased the number of NPCS on screen.
- Performance mode textures in Series X now lower their quality.

Thoughts...
* XB1/S and PS4 editions need to be abandon altogether.
* XB1X is having severe drops under 20fps. One part where V simply falls over causes major frame drops.
* Series S looks to be performing decent. FPS drops hitting around 23fps in certain areas.
* XBSX performance mode looks to be performing quite well. FPS drops mostly happening in the beginning of the city walkthrough, hitting around the low 50s. Oddly enough, patch 1.04 seem to decrease the performance in certain areas where patch 1.006 was performing slightly better.

Last edited:
- In the last version they have increased the quality of the textures. Series X in performance mode lowers this quality.
- Shadows now change their quality in performance mode. On Stadia it drops its quality to a level similar to that of PS5.
- The Series X version has increased the number of NPCs with the latest patch. Stadia and PS5 still have less.
- Stadia still has some problems with the lighting (there is light inside the car, for example)
- Some graphical bugs that are not in Stadia / PC remain on consoles.
- On consoles, the framerate is still higher on PS5 although it does not yet have resolution mode.
- The PS5 version has more popping in textures and patterns than the other versions currently.

It seem like it fixed the threads count on the core-count and ignoring HT/SMT on AMD hardware, because of the Bulldozer-CPUs. This shouldn't be used for Ryzen CPUs (also present in the consoles). But as this should only be a windows related bug (that is still not fixed) it might explain the dips on the xbox (which still uses windows at it's core) in the 60fps mode. This would explain why the 1.04 patch increased resolution on the series x but performance didn't decrease. If the performance-dips are CPU related, the resolution increase did just not matter at all (for the GPU).

Would both consoles not be running the CPU in BC mode with SMT dissabled anyway?

Would both consoles not be running the CPU in BC mode with SMT dissabled anyway?
For Series it should just look like 7 cores. PS5 only has the one mode, but we'd not be able to tell if they coded the game specifically for 7 threads or if it automagically queries the available logical cores in the SDK.

*shrug*

That is the video encoding. Something while encoding the video seems to have really gone wrong. As if the XsX was encoded in 720p while the PS5 version was encoded at >1080p. The Series X version (in that video) has also much more encoding artifacts. I really don't know if he does that intentional or it was just an oversight. I guess last, but it happens more regular nowadays that he had problems with his videos.
that doesnt make sense in the above screenshot, when you upload a video to youtube, it will apply the same encoding to the whole video, not 720p on the left and 1080p on the right side?
unless you are claiming s/he encoding the original videos xbox at 720p and ps 1080p and then added them together (left/right of final video) and then re encoded that at 1080p and then sent it to youtube that re encoded it at 1080p

that doesnt make sense in the above screenshot, when you upload a video to youtube, it will apply the same encoding to the whole video, not 720p on the left and 1080p on the right side?
unless you are claiming s/he encoding the original videos xbox at 720p and ps 1080p and then added them together (left/right of final video) and then re encoded that at 1080p and then sent it to youtube that re encoded it at 1080p
That is exactly how it looks. As if the reference material has a lower resolution (when the videos from both sources where put together side by side). It is just a bit odd that the comparison frame has a lower base video resolution. But it might just be the method how he records the gameplay.
It is just a bit odd that this happens to his videos. Might just be a recording issue.

Well, this could be. But after all, it seems like Cyberpunk has at least a bug here, that some threads seem to more or less block cores. With HT/SMT on PCs this can be fixed/worked arround. HT/SMT can only deliver more performance if the cores units have cycles left. And it seems that some of those threads in this game are not really using the core but blocking other workloads to reuse those threads.

Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 1536x864 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1226x690. On Xbox One S pixel counts at 1536x864 are rare and pixel counts at or near 1226x690 seem to be common.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1792x1008. Pixel counts at or near 2112x1188 seem to be common on Xbox Series S
Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. On Xbox One X pixel counts at 3200x1800 seem to be rare and pixel counts at or near 2304x1296 seem to be common.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. On Xbox Series X in Performance Mode pixel counts at 2880x1620 are rare and pixel counts seem to usually range between 1920x1080 and 2304x1296.
Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts at or near 2688x1512 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Quality Mode.

The Xbox Series X|S is currently running this under backwards compatibility.

Performance is quite variable so your experience may differ from what's shown here. Xbox One S can sometimes experience very large frame time spikes http://bit.ly/3qYB6Cz

Yet another video which shows a different performance range for Xbox One S.
There's no sustained 12fps here. It actually looks reasonable, if not pleasant.

Performance is quite variable...

They should put that on the box.

So good news, the latest Dirt 5 patch released yesterday/today fixed the artifacting that was happening on certain elements of the vehicles, as you could see in the windows of the vehicle in this video..

Before:

After:

It looks like they also fixed the liveries of certain vehicles.. and generally everything is much more stable. I haven't checked performance yet, but the game still runs as smooth as ever for me. The patch also added wheel support for the PC version as well as some free Christmas themed content.

But I'm really interested in seeing how the Xbox Series X version has improved with this patch. Hopefully the guys at Digital Foundry can check it out and report on it.. although I'm pretty sure they're quite busy atm.. but I think John mentioned something about revisiting the game again in the future to see how it evolves. Can anyone here with the Series X version check the 120hz mode to see if Series X is on par with PS5 now?

-Series S runs at 1440p resolution. Series X to 3840. PC version runs at 3840 with Ray-Tracing and DLSS 2.0 enabled.
- Xbox Series does not have Ray-Tracing. It is not confirmed that they will implement it in Bright Memory Infinite.
- It's the first time I've seen PC graphics settings on Xbox, which makes me think it's a direct port. These settings do not affect the performance of the game and, by default, are high on both consoles.
- The PC version seems to have a better Volumetric FOG than Xbox.
- Some elements of the scenario are not present in the PC version and are present in the Xbox version. It is likely due to a bug in PC.
- Series S has some lighting issues in some areas that seem to be fixed by restarting the game.
- The framerate is quite stable except for a small occasional stuttering. These problems persist even if we set all the settings to low.

On Xbox, games released for Xbox One can be "aware" of different hardware. Cyberpunk is one of those games. So because the game is telling the system "I know you are a Series X, run this code path" but that code path isn't on the disc, it's in the update. Older games like Unity aren't aware of Series X, so they just work. But being aware give you advantages, like Series X performance and quality modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back