Nvidia giving free GPU samples to reviewers that follow procedure

Glad to see common sense prevailed !
The only sense they've shown is to not continue with this farcical. The only reason they've apologized and walked back their ban is due to the communities and techtubers. So, yes they did display some common sense as a company, for damage control.

Not that this would have damaged them at all, everyone will still buy their GPUs. They have an excellent product and supporting software.

@Kaotik

The watch dogs legion and cyberpunk videos are pretty good, but in isolation they lack the total picture you'd want from a review. The one you linked is probably the best they've done in terms of giving at least a look at what was broadly available at the time. The actual RTX 3080, 3070 and 3060ti reviews have ray tracing segments that could be described as anemic at best. I don't really have a problem with that, if that's what they want to do. They seem to mostly like testing Tomb Raider, and I'm assuming it has a built-in benchmark and that's why they're using it.
The RTX 3080 reviews RT segment is anemic because that video I linked is covering the RT & DLSS department, think of it as 2 part video

Every RTX GPU from the Ampere lineup can run most RTX games at 1440p60 locked, and even more with the help of DLSS. What is your definition of usable?

That is very usable to me. And honestly better than what I expected.
However, it is not only about framerates, but also about whether the effects substantially improve the quality over other options.

@Kaotik

The watch dogs legion and cyberpunk videos are pretty good, but in isolation they lack the total picture you'd want from a review. The one you linked is probably the best they've done in terms of giving at least a look at what was broadly available at the time. The actual RTX 3080, 3070 and 3060ti reviews have ray tracing segments that could be described as anemic at best. I don't really have a problem with that, if that's what they want to do. They seem to mostly like testing Tomb Raider, and I'm assuming it has a built-in benchmark and that's why they're using it.
Regarding Tomb Raider, they specifically mention in almost all videos they they don't use the built in benchmark as it's not representative of the performance in game. I think they also say they use it when they look at partner boards and the like as it tends to show a fair and consistent difference with over locking. They also use it for their long runs where they measure power draw, temps and average boost clocks.

Because two wrongs do not make a right. At least Nvidia measured up to their mistake, if they hadn't they would have been no better than AMD.

Haha.

Nvidia accomplished what they wanted. I don't think they are apologizing for accomplishing their goal. It was never about wrecking one reviewer or a giving away a video card.

Haha.

Nvidia accomplished what they wanted. I don't think they are apologizing for accomplishing their goal. It was never about wrecking one reviewer or a giving away a video card.

Yes i said this before, this whole ordeal was tactical PR. And it worked. Those that bashed them here on the forum actually have 'worked' hard for them. Its how smart PR works, trust me.

I don't support that post. I was agreeing.
I don't think there's a difference in this case...

Because two wrongs do not make a right. At least Nvidia measured up to their mistake, if they hadn't they would have been no better than AMD.
You're a joke if you honestly think they are now somehow better than AMD. But you always thought that, and will keep making every excuse to keep thinking that.

Thankfully, someone as big as Linus called them out, and I am delighted to see comments like this, because this is exactly what needs to be said;

William Sellers16 hours ago
If Ray tracing was so undisputed and everyone agreed it was the future why are they scared of one person's opinion

Matthew Crosby16 hours ago
Welp, looks like I'm going AMD for the first time! 6800xt here we go!

Aaron Weigand17 hours ago
Huge props to all of you [reviewers] for stepping up. Gonna go AMD just for the principle at this point.

Coreflake !19 hours ago (edited)
Bad timing by nvidia now that AMD finally is here to compete... i wont support them with my next GPU-purchase

J K9 hours ago
I'm subscribing to hardware unboxed, everyone should.

Zoltan Hoppar15 hours ago
"Better to get on vision with Nvidia, or else..." - well, I am sure now that I don't need that either as gamer. My money is my vote...that goes other direction for sure.

ESPOSITO1 day ago
Nvidia pretending they speak for gamers and the entire community in the email to hwu is absolute gold lmao

jim hapke16 hours ago
I just subscribed to Hardware Unboxed, and I've never even seen one of his Vids! I just want to support this guy!

Vernet White7 hours ago
Respect to Linus for this he has showed definitively that he has integrity and is willing to support other TechTubers when Nivida or AMD try to strong arm other content creators. Impressive respect.

Leeth Starwatcher20 hours ago
Hardware Unboxed subscription base is growing exponentially, and rightly so!

Pete Gibbons11 hours ago
I’m so angry about this. When I get my pre ordered 3080 in July 2021 I’m sending it back!

Coreflake !19 hours ago
HW unboxed flew under my radar before. They got themselves a new subscriber!

Nevaknowmaname Same13 hours ago
Hardware Unboxed actually seems like a great channel, watched a few videos there are insteresting points / reviews

4riel1 day ago
I like how the nvidia letter to HWU mentions consoles as if the ones that do RT were powered by nvidia GPUs.

mral13116 hours ago
I’m done w/ green no matter how good it is I don’t need to be fooled or ruled

Benjamin Remy11 hours ago
I never heard of "Hardware Unboxed" before, but I just subscribed.

Simon Vercoe1 day ago
WTF I'm subbed to Hardware Unboxed now? Thanks nVidia

jim hapke16 hours ago
WOW! I just lost a lota respect for Nvidia!!!

James CZ14 hours ago
I was going to buy an nvidia card after being amd for 10 years but this email changed my mind

Erroll Leggo3 hours ago
Guess I'll go to hardware unboxed and sub and watch his videos to support him.

Just as a disclaimer, this has nothing to do with people now going AMD, but people actually punishing a corporation trying to abuse its power. Especially in the case of nVidia, they have gotten away with way too many things in the past, and it is a good sign that they are being shut down every time they try their shenanigans. It happened with the GTX 970, then the GPP, and now this. Slowly but surely, the time of honoring themselves will be at an end. And hopefully, that translates into actually better products rather than extorting reviewers and overcharging their customers.
And everyone else watching (including AMD and Intel) are definitely paying attention right now.

I think you're' still misunderstanding. I was agreeing that it wouldn't matter if AMD had done this before. Two wrongs don't make a right. AMD having done something in the past would not make it ok for Nvidia to do the same thing now.
Ok good.

Say what you will, but Linus has literally over 12 and a half million subscribers. If you don't think that's big, the joke's on you.

I think it should be quite clear to anyone that isn't a crazy person that Nvidia are totally in the wrong here.
You cannot have independent media with these kind of practices.
You cannot have anyone trying to do their job, or have an opinion for that matter, put into a position where they have to prove they are not bought by the competition simply for having different priorities or subjective opinions.

The point is, whatever your view about HUb is, it should be in this case, irrelevant.
In fact, I certainly feel that they (HUB) are missing the point when it comes to both RT and DLSS.
But I still am certain that Nvidia was acting completely irrationally and to a certain degree out of spite in this particular case, as evident by the resulting backpedaling.

On a side note, and since I've seen it pop up here and there in this thread, poll results of any kind are really useless when it comes from media such as these.
A poll about the importance of RT on HUB is as relevant as the same poll done by DF.
It wouldn't surprise me at all, if the results were almost flipped.

Last edited:
Here's the story from Hardware Unboxed

TL,DR;

1 - They're 100% convinced Nvidia only backtracked because of the support HUB got from Linus, Jay2Cents and GamersNexus.

2 - They got contacted by several other media outlets stating they're now afraid they'll be next on the chopping block, because they don't know if they covered raytracing and DLSS enough. This is exactly what nvidia intended to do, as I explained in my previous post. This was a move to instill fear on the media outlets. It's just standard mafia practice.

3 - As stated by GamersNexus' Steve, there will now be immense scrutiny to every coverage of RTX because people will be questioning if every bit of positive coverage is the result of fear from retaliation.
I guess the ones who aren't afraid of Nvidia and depend a lot more on the trust from their audience (GN, LTT, HUB, J2C, etc.) are now wondering how they'll cover raytracing, or if at all.

4 - They suspect it was a personal move by some immature PR people against HUB (which I disagree).

5 - Nvidia had already put them on a blacklist after their RTX2060 review.

6 - Several other media outlets are reacting to this, and never positively towards nvidia.

7 - Apparently nvidia said the e-mail they sent stating they fully transitioned into becoming the fucking mafia is the fault of covid. :D

8 - He suspects nvidia will try to repeat this with him or other, smaller media outlets, when LTT and GN aren't looking.

nvidia really blew it. They’d already silently taken them off the review program for the 3060ti. The 3080 reviewing was pretty extensive, so did they really cut them off because of a lack of ray tracing coverage for the 3070. Also lol at covid fatigue.Seems like nvidia was just making an example of hardware unboxed and ended up self owning.

6 - Several other media outlets are reacting to this, and never positively towards nvidia.

Techspot:
The ugly side of Nvidia: A rollercoaster ride that shows when Big Tech doesn't get it
A hypothetical graphics card with most of its die space reserved for ray tracing would run Quake II RTX great and... not much else. Ray tracing absolutely deserves a place in modern GPU reviews. But there's simply not enough of it in enough games for any responsible reviewer to put it center-stage, in place of raster performance. It wouldn't do justice to consumers, who will primarily be running raster workloads. This is why Nvidia's complaint is so puzzling.

Notebookcheck:
I believe in ray tracing, but I do not believe in Nvidia's RTX 3000-series GPUs
When I try to look into the future, I see ray tracing, because I see the promise it holds, and therefore I believe in it.
However, what I do not believe is that Nvidia’s RTX 3000-series GPUs will be a meaningful part of that future, and I have a few reasons to believe that.

Back