Perfect Dark [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Perfect Dark is a stealthy cyberpunky shooter with a secret agent babe in the lead. I think that can still work just fine today. If any current day gamers care to notice it.

PD Zero on 360 was pretty average indeed. They reinvented the game and it wasn't for the better, and it also has some technical problems.

Perfect Dark XBLA on the other hand is very nice and much more playable than the N64 version, being 60 fps, high resolution and having access to an infinitely better gamepad. You can run circles around the old AI that was designed for the N64 control and frame rate problems.

Last edited:
I loved Perfect Dark (N64) but that's because I loved GoldenEye and PD(N64) was essentially the successor to that. Used the same game engine and whatnot so it felt and looked like GoldenEye.

Never played PD: Zero. Never really had any desire to.

So can't say I really care much about a new PD game...

Now I don't see how any of the original's glories can translate to a modern game beside in spirit.

Maybe. If its a remake/remaster (or keep the same formula) i foresee its too ancient compared to modern gaming for many. But we dont really know what their planning yet.
For me personally i wouldnt mind the first halo, dues ex, PD etc in CP2077 engine graphics, sound and IO speed, but thats just me.

Their quotes about leaping over things, "spy fighting" makes me think they're aiming in part at Black Widow's fighting style. That could be fun on the combat side, coupled with plenty of gadgets.

Everything that was good about the orginal is now a regular feature in other shooters, and every shortcoming that was acceptable then is now unforgievable. Any game that comes out of this will unavoidably be NOTHING like the original, so really, there is not much to expect of this.

As for The Iniciative, ugh, so it's another artificial assemblage of big tallent from all over the place just like 343i? Recipe for disaster. Tempering my expectations once again

Oh, there was a sequel on 360 too. Heard it was ok. Didn't play it, but from what a friend told me, it had mostly average gameplay, but had polish sptinkled over many little details, so I guess that's the spirit of PD... They also dropped the campy 90's spy-drama aestherics for campy 2000's techno-ninja aesthetics. That can only mean the new game will have to have campy 2010's theme hahaha.

True the quality of FPS games during pSX/N64 was not very good. N64 was much better than PSX i dont really remember any good fps on psx, maybe besides this weird star wars one. FPS were uncommon on consoles. I fully agree with you that by todays standars games from this era on consoles were bad.
I dunno if the fps was a right choice here, some people suggested that metal gear/splinter cell type would be better since there is a big gap right now in this segment. Maybe ... this kind of games are a bit closer to gears style and studo have some experience making it.
And again i may be completely wrong and they will come up with something good and fresh but they have tough competition ( doom, halo etc).
https://www.thecoalitionstudio.com/ already proved themselves to be very talented studio so i disagree that this is recipe for disaster both gow and gow tactics were very good games. They put a lot of effort to optimize games aswell, not only on consoles but PC ports were excellent (many settings options built in benchmark) and in today times more of this please.

True the quality of FPS games during pSX/N64 was not very good. N64 was much better than PSX i dont really remember any good fps on psx, maybe besides this weird star wars one. FPS were uncommon on consoles. I fully agree with you that by todays standars games from this era on consoles were bad.
I dunno if the fps was a right choice here, some people suggested that metal gear/splinter cell type would be better since there is a big gap right now in this segment. Maybe ... this kind of games are a bit closer to gears style and studo have some experience making it.
And again i may be completely wrong and they will come up with something good and fresh but they have tough competition ( doom, halo etc).
https://www.thecoalitionstudio.com/ already proved themselves to be very talented studio so i disagree that this is recipe for disaster both gow and gow tactics were very good games. They put a lot of effort to optimize games aswell, not only on consoles but PC ports were excellent (many settings options built in benchmark) and in today times more of this please.

The Initiative is making this game not the Coalition Studio. I made the same mistake thinking it was TCS and someone on here corrected me. Paying it forward to you :) Home - THE INITIATIVE

I wouldn't go so far as the rumor. I would say they shared information and have been used for consultations. I would not say they are working on the game.

I wouldn't go so far as the rumor. I would say they shared information and have been used for consultations. I would not say they are working on the game.

I could certainly see MS perhaps encouraging The Coalition to share their tech knowledge with other teams. Kind of like how one of the Sony Studios (can't remember which one) does. The Coalition along with Turn 10 seem to be the MS Studio teams with the best ability to leverage graphics hardware. Bonus with The Coalition since they use Unreal Engine which makes it perhaps more approachable for other teams that might be using UE.

Regards,
SB

I could certainly see MS perhaps encouraging The Coalition to share their tech knowledge with other teams. Kind of like how one of the Sony Studios (can't remember which one) does. The Coalition along with Turn 10 seem to be the MS Studio teams with the best ability to leverage graphics hardware. Bonus with The Coalition since they use Unreal Engine which makes it perhaps more approachable for other teams that might be using UE.

Regards,
SB

Don’t you mean Playground instead of turn10?

I want to believe that trailer is not CG because quality wise it doesn't feel that much CG trailer I used to see, but they had no time to prepare anything non-CG.
Coalition as a support studio sounds.

Don’t you mean Playground instead of turn10?

Nope, I actually mean Turn 10. Playground do fantastic work as well, but they are just improving on what Turn 10 has done.

Forza 7 was the first AAA effort to get their game running on PC and the scalability of it was phenomenal, even compared to developers who had been working on PC for a long long time. This shows a deep underlying understanding of the hardware. Also considering that at a time when they were (still are I guess) competing with Gran Turismo and how close they got to GT's graphics when the latter ran at 30 FPS on PS3 while they ran at 60 FPS on X360. That's incredibly impressive, IMO. Far more so than any other MS team. Forza Horizons was 30 FPS on X360. And the Gears games on X360 were also 30 FPS, IIRC.

Making a 30 FPS game look good on PS3/X360 isn't even remotely as impressive to me as making a 60 FPS game look good on PS3/X360. I know others may disagree, and that's fine. But talk to most developers and they'll almost always say that making something look good in a screenshot is much easier when you have 16.6 ms per frame than if you only have 8.3 ms per frame.

The ability to make a game scale seemlessly and well across a large range of disparate hardware is also incredibly impressive, IMO. Just look at how many developers can't do that. Turn 10 not only did it well, but they also did it while looking good.

While Gears of War 4 came out on PC before Forza 7, it wasn't nearly as accomplished an engine as what Turn 10 did with Forza 7 on PC. Of course, The Coalition then came out with Gears 5 which really showed their mastery of the hardware.

It's one thing to make something look and run well on one piece of hardware. It's especially impressive if you can fully leverage that hardware and make it do things others can't do. It's something else entirely to not only be able to do that with one piece of hardware, but to then have it work virtually flawlessly with thousands of combinations of different pieces of hardware.

That shows a deep understanding of hardware and not only what do do on that hardware but what not to do. Considering MS' aspirations WRT the distribution of their games, it can't be understated just how important this is.

We'll see what Playground Games can do now that they have their own IP that they get to work on, rather than just modifying and extending an existing IP and engine.

Regards,
SB

Perfect Dark is a stealthy cyberpunky shooter with a secret agent babe in the lead. I think that can still work just fine today. If any current day gamers care to notice it.

Don't forget about her humanoid alien sidekick called Elvis rescued from area 51 wearing an american flag tank-top...

Back