Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

If you care that much about VRR you should probably switch to PC gaming. 100% support there :devilish::runaway:

I don't need to switch, I've been a double agent for decades!

So of course my monitor is a 34" curved UWQHD with FreeSync. Duuuuuuhh.

:cool:

If Sony advertised hdmi 2.1 somebody in eu should complain to the right consumer right thingy
Heck I'd do it, if it meant VRR coming faster.
Unfortunately, not all HDMI 2.1 devices need to support VRR.. it's an optional feature AFAIK.

Btw, it's a little OT, but what is the vrr range of like, lg oled tvs ? On PC my monitor does vrr/freesync/gsync between 1-120hz so, it's perfect, no need to double the frame or anything.

I am surprised nobody did that yet. They deserve some big class action lawsuit against them. All of that because of their TVs TVs TVs. :runaway:

Because it would fail. HDMI specifications only standardise features, they do not mandate support for all of the features. This has never been the case, I bet less than 10% of all TVs support ethernet over HDMI and that's been around since HDMI 1.4.

Slapping 8K on the PS5 box is a big no though, but has anybody looked really closely at their PS5 box? Is there a little * somewhere saying that some features will be introduced in the future? Because you'd think lawyers would be all over that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So what happen if there is a drop under 40 ? It's out of sync, or it doubles the frame like LFC ?
I am not 100% sure. I think it is supposed to enable LFC, but I don’t have any devices with which it can test that theory (since my PS5 doesn’t currently support VRR).

All right, thx :) If LFC is not supported, I hope futur tvs will support it... Anyway For me right now I'll stay on my good "old" LG C7 for the time being. I'll wait until the PS5 support VRR to see what's what.

You need a display with an HDMI input to see RT (or anything), so the console does depend on external hardware in that regard. I think all people are asking for is that the hardware support the features that were promised out. I guess VRR wasn't exactly promised, but 8k was, as was NVME expansion. And the promised HDMI 2.1 support implies support for VRR, 4k120, 8k, auto low latency mode, and other features. And I think at the end of the day, the fact that features were promised but not delivered is disappointing, even if you don't have the extra hardware to support those features.

Say what?
Are you joking? I was trying to be serious about the reality of 98% of the TVs and monitors on the market, and you are telling me consoles require a TV?
What about electricity?
And I agree that console specs should be supported on compatible hardware. I just dont want that games lean on that to fix problems leaving 99% of the market with tearing problems.

Say what?
Are you joking? I was trying to be serious about the reality of 98% of the TVs and monitors on the market, and you are telling me consoles require a TV?
What about electricity?
And I agree that console specs should be supported on compatible hardware. I just dont want that games lean on that to fix problems leaving 99% of the market with tearing problems.
Well any console isn't displaying any image without external hardware (apart from Switch), and the quality of display can make a huge difference. It wasn't too long ago that HDR adaption was just as low as VRR adaption is now. And before that 4k adaption. I would wager that right now most console gamers use a 1080p or less screen at 60hz without HDR, VRR, or any other bells and whistles. And of those that have a 4k HDR TV, most of those are probably HDR in spec only, displaying barely a wider color range, no local dimming and low nits. So maybe we shouldn't support HDR at all. Or 4k. Or any new features that are in the new HDMI standards like VRR, 120hz 4k, 8k, or ALLM.

Or maybe consoles should continue their legacy of pushing consumer display technology forward by supporting future looking features and formats like they always have. HDTV early adaption was mostly because of 360 and PS3. One S and PS4/pro were some of the earliest HDR content you could get. Same with 4k. In the future almost every consumer TV will have support for these newer features in some form, and support is implied by their inclusion of HDMI 2.1.

I agree that games shouldn't only work effectively on displays that few people own, but console games have had both a track record of erratic frame times and only working on certain TVs. Remember games like Dead Rising were nearly unplayable on SDTVs because all text was rendered too small to read. When that game launched HDTV adoption was in the single digits IIRC. There are tons of games in the 360/PS3 generation that have framerates that many would consider unplayable today, and in fact people are complaining today about games with similar performance numbers.

Yeah Sony has extensive experience with disabling features so they should already know they'll get in trouble or not.

They will say "yeah, we disabled it because of a bug, but we will fix it soon" ,or something like that. Nobody will make a serious lawsuit right now about that, come on now...

I havent heard anyone complaining about the lack of VRR or 8k outside of forums. The 8k is ridiculous anyway. One should be sued for even thinking to expect any meaningfull gaming in 8k for real.

I havent heard anyone complaining about the lack of VRR or 8k outside of forums. The 8k is ridiculous anyway. One should be sued for even thinking to expect any meaningfull gaming in 8k for real.

I am not sensitive to fps fluctuation and I am just joking about sueing. But its not okay for Sony to advertise that their device is coming with features and then on delivery say they will come later.
Which is the core of the issue here and what they should be held accountable for.
But they should also pay me cash to rectify the pain and suffering I am enduring due to DF saying XSX version of game x in mode y is better than my PS5 version of the game due to lacking VRR.

So bring out the laywers!!

Back