Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get it because I’ve been playing it on Series X and always thought the performance mode looked pretty sharp which NX Gamer seems to confirm it is running higher res than PS5. But John on the recent DF video said it was lower than the PS5 and was running at 1080p?
We don't know which software revision they looked at, could make a difference

We don't know which software revision they looked at, could make a difference
This.

I believe DF looked at 1.02 while NXGamer's timing allowed for 1.04. Could be wrong though.

Regardless.. with pixel counting games with TAA, especially certain implementations, it can be very difficult to accurately pixel count.. especially considering it's completely dynamic. I wouldn't even be surprised if there was some slight variation between PS5 systems due to thermals or something like that. Also considering the dynamic nature of the game... it's just a general impression and not exactly like for like. It's always best to take the main 3 (DF, NXG, and VGT) and form a sort of general concensus. DF and others will also likely be looking to maximize content based on the game. So that means testing launch day versions, plus multiple patch versions. I'm sure we'll also see Stadia comparisons and input lag testing comparisons in the future as well... and of course the real patched next gen versions. So there's no shortage of content coming from them regarding this game.. and I absolutely don't blame them. Milk it for all it's worth. It will be interesting to see how this game evolves over time.

We all know these games, and especially the new consoles, are going to be improving... so nothing reported now is gospel. Things will improve... and this content will be outdated. So it's nothing worth blaming DF or any of the tech sites about if they get something wrong.. it's all just educated guessing and opinions.

- Slight resolution increase on PS4 and Pro (PS4 in areas that went to 720p, now they go to 792p)
- Some lighting bugs have been fixed.
- Framerate and improved stability. On PS4 it is still insufficient.
- The shadows stay the same.
- They have significantly improved the quality of some textures.

Another similar video with the Xbox versions on the way.

My thoughts...
* PS5 performance mode (60fps) seems solid. The first city walkthrough (v. 1.02) the performance dips at the beginning, but now is resolved during the second playthrough (v. 1.04).
* IQ looks sharper.
* Driving still dips down into the low 50s in certain spots (especially when crashing into other vehicles and/or stationary objects). Seems like a CPU / Physics related issue similar to GTA V (but very fixable like GTA V).
* The city still looks like a ghost town in many areas.

Was there any particular reason why CDPR didn't add a 30fps quality mode for PS5?

Last edited:
* The city still looks like a ghost town in many areas.

Was there any particular reason why CDPR didn't add a 30fps quality mode for PS5?

Last theory I heard was that PS5 runs PS4Pro codepath and Pro probably cant handle 30fps quality mode, jaguar cores are not up to snuff and they can not make a specific version for PS5, was the reason.

Last theory I heard was that PS5 runs PS4Pro codepath and Pro probably cant handle 30fps quality mode, jaguar cores are not up to snuff and they can not make a specific version for PS5, was the reason.

That theory sounds... well...
2KT.gif

The reason XSS and XSX versions of Cyberpunk are obviously already optimized for next gen (exclusive modes, effects and settings on those machines only, not on XBX) is the same reason why The Witcher 3 got an exclusive high performance patch and optimizations on XBX and not on Pro:
Exclusivity rights.

Was there any particular reason why CDPR didn't add a 30fps quality mode for PS5

If PS5 is running 4Pro code then it only has 512 Meg more memory available over the PS4 code, meanwhile XBSX is running OneX code then it has 4 Gig more memory available.

The reason XSS and XSX versions of Cyberpunk are obviously already optimized for next gen (exclusive modes, effects and settings on those machines only, not on XBX) is the same reason why The Witcher 3 got an exclusive high performance patch and optimizations on XBX and not on Pro:
Exclusivity rights.

Are there any other examples (other than CDPR) of this happening across prior games? Just wondering should I add "performance/IQ exclusivity" to the exclusivity thread if these practice are widely going on.

If PS5 is running 4Pro code then it only has 512 Meg more memory available over the PS4 code, meanwhile XBSX is running OneX code then it has 4 Gig more memory available.

So, CDPR couldn't simply move a couple of sliders around on accommodating PS5 users? I mean it's literally ini performance/IQ settings, not a whole rewrite of code. But I guess they're saving those enhancements for the next-gen patch.

Last edited:
So, CDPR couldn't simply move a couple of sliders around on accommodating PS5 users? I mean it's literally ini performance/IQ settings, not a whole rewrite of code. But I guess they're saving those enhancements for the next-gen patch.

Or they are not allowed code paths for pro that it cannot access, such as a quality mode.

They currently have a dynamic refresh rate based on performance, I wonder if pro is running the same code and logic but the way the frame rate cap is calculated is such that pro won't get there and remains at a sensible 30cap.

In the same way dynamic resolution can target 4k but never get there.

So dynamic resolution based on gpu and dynamic frame rate based in CPU. The same code but different results?

the same reason why The Witcher 3 got an exclusive high performance patch and optimizations on XBX and not on Pro:
Exclusivity rights.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-witcher-3-xbox-one-x-analysis#comments

From the article about the X1X and PS4Pro Witcher 3 patches I would first conclude the differences are simply based on the different performance/memory. Making up some conspiracy theory about how X1X and PS4Pro Cyberpunk versions perform in XSX/PS5 BC mode sounds ridiculous to me. Neither is optimised for the current console generation.

XsX is higher res in performance mode. But why does it look blurrier in the comparisons ? Stronger TAA filter ?
Sorry I don’t know too much about this sort of stuff but could this be why?

“The frame-rate comparison section the Series X side had an interpolation turned on when rendering out. This was a mistake and only affects the image quality which is compared previously”

XsX is higher res in performance mode. But why does it look blurrier in the comparisons ? Stronger TAA filter ?
cyberpunk.jpg

ps5 looks like it has a sharpen filter, but it does look like series x is lower resolution
though looking at some videos of this game, yes its apparent many 1000s of work hours have gone into the content but graphically its not mindblowing

ps5 looks like it has a sharpen filter, but it does look like series x is lower resolution
though looking at some videos of this game, yes its apparent many 1000s of work hours have gone into the content but graphically its not mindblowing

it's it or miss, sometimes it looks really great and atmospheric, sometimes it looks bad, especially the way the characters are lit, one console of course, they look really bland and not detailed.

good:

Bad:

Last edited:
it's it or miss, sometimes it looks really great and atmospheric, sometimes it looks bad, especially the way the characters are lit, one console of course, they look really bland and not detailed.

good:

Bad:

On consoles lighting looks good on charater indoor, less outdoor. I don't have the game but seeing your photos maybe it is the problem.

EDIT:
Or maybe better explanation main character against random NPC.

I wouldn't judge too much based on YT video.

insdoors they use screen space shadows on characters, you notice it in photo mode when moving the camera, shadows desapear when what's casting them is out of the FOV

My initial opinion was that the games assets individually weren't mind blowing, it's just that the city was cluttered with more stuff than most other open world games. But the farther I get into the game, the better I think it looks. Some of the character models look great. Some of the random NPCs, not so much. Same goes for some of the material choices. And the game's setting helps in some ways also. If you come across a character who looks a bit plastic, maybe it's because they have plastic skin.

I'm loving how the fact that the PS5 version has slightly worse IQ is now some kind of conspiracy theory. Maybe it's 12TF vs. 10TF. LOL.

In all seriousness, I'm betting the PS4 Pro version is the cullprit for why Night City is Ghost City in the PS5 version as PS4 Pro can't handle the big crowds due to lack of memory so the PS5 didn't get them ... yet.

That's the key word here ... yet. The XSX, XSS, and PS5 versions will look much better in 2021. Patience my friends. :)

I'm going back to playing Gears Tactics. Message me when they sort it out next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back