Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Pretty fair and balanced IMO.

Edit: Oops thought it was the HWUB coverage.

Otherwise I liked the video but the bit about heard rumours of dlss glitches without verifying them or at least disclosing the rumors sounds a lot like fud. And there really isn't native in this game. It's taa that has its own set of issues like the tree leaves in nomad beginning.

Didn't care for their joke beginning either. That was just pure feed fanboys ammunition for war.

Didn't care for their joke beginning either. That was just pure feed fanboys ammunition for war.

Not only that but it either shows an ignorance of how software is actually developed or an assumption that the lack of support on AMD hardware is the developer’s fault. There are clearly issues with DXR running on AMD hardware in several other titles. Either way I agree it was stupid.

Yes, there's no toggle in the game for TAA, you have to hack the exe to remove TAA.

TAA in this game is less blurrier than DLSS, still too blurry for my liking, and still have less crawling in instances like below:

I remember in W3 I had to change a ini or cfg file, pretty easy. I read on some forums that a json shows some taa settings but they are not in the UI (yet ?).

Blurriness of DLSS is in every scene, that aliasing video I posted is more scene to scene or rather object to object. It's much more obvious in daytime.

In Control you can't make it out so much since it's played with a dark theme.

Blurriness of DLSS is in every scene, that aliasing video I posted is more scene to scene or rather object to object. It's much more obvious in daytime.

In Control you can't make it out so much since it's played with a dark theme.

I've noticed that in Control DLSS has a very hard time with the film grain. If you turn the film grain off the dlss looks a lot sharper. I wasn't happy with how dlss looked until i turned film grain off.

I've noticed that in Control DLSS has a very hard time with the film grain. If you turn the film grain off the dlss looks a lot sharper. I wasn't happy with how dlss looked until i turned film grain off.

I don't have the game but I suspected that from some videos. That's an improper/lazy implementation of DLSS by devs imo, DLSS should be applied before any post effects. (edit: as guidelines dictate)

I don't have the game but I suspected that from some videos. That's an improper/lazy implementation of DLSS by devs imo, DLSS should be applied before any post effects. (edit: as guidelines dictate)

I'll take a look at it more carefully and see if it's behaving the way I think it is. Maybe the film grain just adds a lot of blur in general.

edit: I just captured 8 screenshots. Not sure the best way to share them here. 5MB each. 1080p native with film grain, 1080p native without film grain, 1080p dlss quality with film grain, 1080p dlss quality without film grain. I took two sets of images, one looking at a high detail texture on the ground and one looking at geometry far away.

Basically it looks to me like the film grain is not visible with dlss enabled, which means they must be adding it before the dlss is applied.

Last edited:
I hated the film grain in cp2077 both in native and dlss mode. Similarly blur, chromatic aberration and excessive dof was off putting to me. Pays off to tinker with the settings to find subjectively nice picture quality.

So this is me running 1080p maxed out. Top part of the image is native with film grain. Bottom part is dlss quality with film grain, where you can see the film grain is totally destroyed. I like the performance though ;) Also if you have an ampere card, undervolt it. I'd like to add I have a 138 fps cap for gsync, which is why the dlss pic shows a perfectly flat frametime graph.

upload_2020-12-12_14-6-35.png

Last edited:
If I had to guess, DLSS probably struggles more with high detail areas that are low in contrast. Interior areas in Control with concrete surfaces are probably the worst case. Whenever I get back into the main brutalist type buildings, I'll take some more pics and see if I can find textures that are high detail but low contrast or high contrast to compare.

I always turn that off along with motion blur and DoF.

Here's a comparison of 1440p native, QDLSS(1707x960) and 1080p upscaled,

mSabG2G.png

LdsS3zc.png

km1NGKL.png

The game textures seem to have sort of noise baked in that doesn't look much different in DLSS vs. native.

I also made a video of CP like the one I posted before in that garage for the difference between native and QDLSS,

I decided to buy the game. I thought Hardware Unboxed might be right: Use Quality DLSS and then change the resolution to get the FPS you want.

I use a CX 48" OLED and I can't stand 1440P. Everything looks blurry. This game actually autoscales the resolution you select to the resolution of your desktop. So if I select 2560x1440 it scales it to 3840x2160. This makes comparing images from different render resolutions and DLSS settings quite easy. After testing a bunch of settings I think you should play at your native resolution and use DLSS to target the FPS that you want.

I included a comparison shot (jpeg, but it does the comparison justice) from the beginning part of the game. The image is using UltraRT with FilmGrain, MotionBlur, etc off.

I like to use text as my comparison point, because it is much easier to see real detail in text than just about anything else. In the 1440p NoDLSS shot the LED number doesn't appear properly. This is a non-flashing number. I don't know why it won't render properly at 1440P without DLSS. However, you can see that the NoDLSS shot for 1440p is clearer overall than with quality DLSS. You can also see that DLSS is removing a lot of the corrosion from the bumper.

So far I prefer running at 2160P with Performance DLSS over 1440P with Quality DLSS. However, there are some places in the game where you can get quite a bit of pixel shimmer even when not moving when you use Performance DLSS. I expect this technology to slowly improve over the next few years. I wonder how much a larger model might help with this problem. If they are outputting an upsampled frame in less than a millisecond then that is a really tiny model. Most of the models I use would take about 300ms to process that many pixels using FP16 and a 3080 and the models I use are small compared to state of the art!

UltraPerformance does cause a lot of shimmering though. If I wanted to target 60FPS I might drop to 1440P Performance instead of 2160P UltraPerformance.
Cyberpunk Comparison.jpg

Back