Nvidia giving free GPU samples to reviewers that follow procedure

I don't think most people realize how aggressive are the levels of narrative control, disdain and sheer lack of respect that is being displayed by nvidia in this situation. Towards both their GPU reviewers (which are their de facto marketing partners that come pretty cheap in outlets like HUB) and of course to their customers.

The gravest fact here is there was no attempt to communicate with HUB and strike a conversation like mature grown-ups should do.
Had nvidia spoken to them prior to cutting them off though this e-mail, they would have known HUB was hours away from releasing a video exclusively dedicated to raytracing and DLSS, i.e. exactly what nvidia wanted them to do.

Here's the breakdown of what's really happening:

1 - Nvidia knows damn well this would come out to the public and become international news among media outlets for enthusiast hardware consumers. Every youtube/website that reviews hardware is talking about this. They want to send this message to all media outlets with no exception.

2 - Nvidia also knows that the first 24-48 hours after a GPU launch are when most consumers watch the video reviews / articles about the new cards, which to most outlets it corresponds to a substantial share of their revenue. At the same time, they always launch their own FE cards several days before the OEM third-party ones. In the current system of FE cards releasing days/weeks earlier, which Nvidia themselves created, not sending these cards to select media outlets means taking away a large share of their revenue and ability to compete for attention. It doesn't matter all that much that Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. are still sending their cards to HUB. To HUB (and everyone else Nvidia does this to), this means a substantial cut in their revenue.

3 - Nvidia did not draw a line in the sand. There is no observable and fixed amount of coverage over their raytracing performance that will ensure that a media outlet isn't blacklisted. The purpose here is to instill fear into the media outlets. By not knowing how much coverage of raytracing/upscaling they need to do, the media outlets that are now being driven by fear will overcompensate on their coverage for raytracing performance and nvidia's exclusive upscalers.

4 - Blacklisting comes without prior warning nor negotiation. Which is another way to instill fear into the media outlets that require FE to thrive and survive. There are no warnings or second chances. They either behave exactly like nvidia wants them to from the start, or they get their revenue cut down.

So to summarize, the message that nvidia is sending is the following:
Dear reviewers,
From now on you will be testing our cards exactly like we want you to. You will put our products in a better light than our competitors. You will talk about our exclusive features and performance advantages in a way that pleases us. Fail to do this and we will sever your audience and revenue without warning.

How some are still lightly pushing this aside as nvidia "being dicks" is something that honestly baffles me.
Are we (most of us at least) not consumers here? Do we not all want better competition? How exactly does this help us, the market and tech development in general?

This is bad even for nvidia fanboys! Do they not want a fair assessment of how their nvidia graphics card actually behaves in the games they'll be playing?
Do we not all remember what happened when AMD wasn't able to compete in the x86 market, where Intel kept flooding the market with practically the same quad-cores for almost 8 years? All Intel did from 2011 onwards was stagnate their offerings, reducing the SoC's size through newer nodes to increase their margins by selling at the same or higher prices as their predecessors. That was terrible even for Intel fanboys!

Full e-mail sent to Hardware Unboxed below:
Hi Steve,

We've reached a critical juncture in the adoption of ray tracing and it has gained industry-wide support from top titles, developers, game engines, APIs, consoles and GPUs. As you know Nvidia is all in for ray tracing. RT is important and core to the future of gaming, but it's also one part of our focused R&D efforts on revolutionizing video games and creating a better experience for gamers.This philosophy is also reflected in developing technologies such as DLSS, reflex and broadcast that offer immense value to customers who are purchasing a GPU. They don't get free GPUs, they work hard for their money, and they keep their GPUs from multiple years.

Despite all this progress, your GPU reviews and recommendations have continued to focus singularly on rasterization performance and you have largely discounted all of the other technologies we offer gamers. It is very clear from your community commentary that you do not see things the same way that we, gamers, and the rest of the industry do. Our founder's editions boards and other Nvidia products are being allocated to media outlets that recognize the changing landscape of gaming and the features that are important to gamers and anyone buying a GPU today. Be it for gaming, content creation, or studio and streaming.

Hardware Unboxed should continue to work with our add-in card partners to secure GPUs to review. Of course you will still have access to obtain pre-release drivers and press materials, that won't change. We are open to revisiting this in the future should your editorial direction change.

Brian Del Rizzo
Director of Global PR, GeForce

Do you guys get kickbacks every time you use Nvidia keywords? Is that why there's so much constant vomit-inducing promotion here over the last couple of years?
Remember some 10-15 years ago when it was uncovered that nvidia was hiring a marketing firm that consisted of putting forum users out there as posters for hire (literally professional shills)? What makes you think that ever stopped?
There are people here who literally used to flood the GPU subs with new threads consisting of official nvidia announcements and geforce driver updates, for maximum visibility. Eventually the mods caught wind of it and contained those into a single thread, which still gets professionally updated to this day.
You know, the same people that are now doing some whataboutisms over stuff that happened over 5 years ago (b-but look, AMD is bad too!).

It is not about dedicated videos. I mean they are making money from them. It is about putting it in comparision videos between nVidia and AMD.
For example lets use Cyberpunk:
A 3080 gets 47 fps with RT Reflections and DLSS@Quality in 4K:
A 6800XT archives 34 FPS in 4K:

So, the question know is: How would i want to play this game? I take the 3080. Image quality is so much better and i would have 38% higher frames. HBU did a disrepect to their viewers to call Raytracing and DLSS "questionable features" when the pure rasterizing hardware from AMD cant deliver enough frames for 4K.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that the Nvidia grifters have no interest in engaging in a good faith discussion of a serious breach of media independence and unbiasedness.

Merry Christmas to you too.

The videos cover the RTX 2000 and 3000 series. Is there a new Nvidia RTX lineup based on an architecture newer than Ampere that we're not aware of?

They aren't reviews. The discussion is about reviews - the kind of things people might casually look at when choosing a graphics card. Review samples for reviews.

By having to go away from the reviews to find this you're actually highlighting the point. So thanks for that.

I think you need to revise your understanding of the word 'ignore'.

"Largely ignore in reviews." I'm pretty comfortable with my understanding of "ignore". "Bolding out of context" is pretty funny though. You don't see it very often.

Yes, like showing how even $700 flagships struggle to hit 30 FPS with RT, which HUB/Gamers Nexus/LTT show.

I guess those benchmarks are CPU bound. :rolleyes:

30 fps with *ultra* RT at 4K seems pretty damn good to me.

Yes, like HUB mentioned when talking about Control and Cyberpunk 2077.

Also, define "lots", and show me an instance where I -- or anyone else in this thread -- said that the data on RT performance penalties as well as RT IQ improvements isn't important.

Lots as in a large proportion of games that support ray tracing. I think in a lot of the games that support RT it's probably worth the hit - at least with these high end cards who's reviews we're talking about.

And if you're not saying that the data on RT performance penalties is of little importance for reviews, why are you so angry that I'm saying HU should be providing more of it in their reviews?

The whole point of our argument is that we have the data, and that the performance hits do not justify the minor IQ improvements. The exception to this rule, at present, are games like Control and Cyberpunk 2077, hence why HUB/GN/LTT do focus videos on those titles.

Very kind of you to decide what other people should consider worth the hit.

Nvidia, are not, however, entitled to dictating the what reviewers can or should say in their reviews.

Bad news, they actually can say they won't give more pre-release free stuff to someone because they don't like the way they review them. I don't like that they've done it, but they can.

"We're going to do the least possible on ray tracing in our reviews"
"Okay, we don't want to give you cards any more"

They are entitled to do that.

This is the Barbara Streisand effect, and is free PR for AMD.
Every AMD fanboy and conspiracy against Nvidia has been vindicated, and now many people who were vendor agnostic (or with a slight preference for Nvidia) view Nvidia as the devil and AMD as the saviour of PC gaming graphics.

There's some of that for sure, but there's also increased focus on the RT performance. I don't know which will outweigh the other.

But hey, you do you. Let's just let all hardware companies dictate the terms of what a reviewer can and should say, and let's not allow proprietary tech get in the way of hardware comparisons! What could go wrong?

*hyperbole intensifies*

Do we not all want better competition?

Ah there is where the problem lies. They should have gone with NV and you wouldnt be here bashing RT, upscaling and possibly raw performance in special at 4k.

Remember some 10-15 years ago when it was uncovered that nvidia was hiring a marketing firm that consisted of putting forum users out there as posters for hire (literally professional shills)?

Ye, calling forum users here (somewhat indirectly) for shills is the way to go man.

If the tradeoffs of RT are consistent, covering more games isn't very helpful. I am glad there are reviewers not wasting time on talking points of particular sides.

Like many things, the costs of RT and the gap between Nvidia and AMD varies dependant upon the game.

Techpowerup only have two games in their 6900XT review, but they demonstrate this pretty well. It depends on what you're doing, like anything else in graphics I guess.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt/38.html

You need a range of games - or probably at least one lighter use and one heavier use game - to begin to give people an idea about how these cards might behave with what's likely to be coming.

@ToTTenTranz I'm looking forward to Hardware Unboxed's upcoming video on what's going on with Nvidia. Really curious to see if there were any prior discussions with Nvidia, or if the gpus get sent to them with marketing materials and a list of terms or conditions for the sample.

There's a really discussion to be had about what the conditions of a free review sample are. I think everyone would agree that the review should be fair and not misrepresent the product. But in terms of a gpu review, what does that mean? Should a gpu review focus only on what's available now, or should it be looking at a $700 GPU as more than a short term investment. If reviewers are concerned about the life span of a 10GB card and consider 16GB as future proofing, then should ray tracing be viewed as a longer term investment etc. There are a lot of things that can be discussed. Those conversations should be happening between Nvidia and reviewers. No idea to what extent they are.

That doesnt make any sense. nVidia improved DLSS and improved their hardware for better raytracing performance. HBU claims that both things are "questionable features" and shouldnt be considered by the consumer when it comes to buying a new GPU.

What do you expect nVidia to do more? HBU has every right to ignore nVidia's advantages. But dont blame nVidia when they think it doesnt make sense to supply them anymore.
It makes perfect sense.

AMD also improved a bunch of features multiple times. That doesn't actually mean that the feature is useful, despite it being better.

As for your last sentence, you just confirmed that you think companies should be able to expect free advertising from their reviewers. Good to know where you stand on that.

Well then, from now on DF and other reviewers should totally ignore all RT in games, in special on console, since the offering in favour of performance isnt worth it?
You only make this statement, because in your mind only one opinion/view is allowed to exist. And that is exactly the problem. And it's even a larger problem if that opinion has to be the same as a corporation that is known for using shady tactics.

Disagree.

If a reviewer said they were testing the 6900xt and their review had 6 games with RT settings and one game at non RT settings, do you believe that would be a fair review as long as the reviewer said, “I believe RT is the future of gaming, and if you want non RT data go to another high quality channel.”

I don’t think anyone would consider that fair. This is essentially what HU did with their 3070 and 3060ti FE reviews, but even more heavily skewed in the opposite direction to rasterization.
No it's not exactly what they did in the opposite direction, because the amount of games in existence are not 6 with RT and 1 without, as compared to the opposite. The ratio of 6 to 1 in rasterization vs RT is actually quite representative of the amount of games without and with RT.

That being said, these are all distraction arguments to excuse nVidia for imposing their wishes on independent reviewers. And the majority in this thread actually hold this view, and they gang up on anyone that doesn't, and that is pretty f'ing sad... No wonder the graphics card landscape is as crappy as it is today... It's exactly that mentality that enables it.
If this was AMD, those exact same people would be trashing them instead of Hardware Unboxed. And spare me the denials that I know will inevitably be coming anyway.

Seems AMD is no angel when it comes to blacklisting techtubers ...
AMD withdraw KitGuru Fury X sample over 'negative content' | KitGuru
Aaaaand there we go... Tell me. Does that somehow justify nVidia doing it...?

No it's not exactly what they did in the opposite direction, because the amount of games in existence are not 6 with RT and 1 without, as compared to the opposite. The ratio of 6 to 1 in rasterization vs RT is actually quite representative of the amount of games without and with RT.

Do you actually think that ratio has anything to do with how many games you'd need to benchmark to get a general understanding of performance?

That being said, these are all distraction arguments to excuse nVidia for imposing their wishes on independent reviewers. And the majority in this thread actually hold this view, and they gang up on anyone that doesn't, and that is pretty f'ing sad... No wonder the graphics card landscape is as crappy as it is today... It's exactly that mentality that enables it.
If this was AMD, those exact same people would be trashing them instead of Hardware Unboxed. And spare me the denials that I know will inevitably be coming anyway.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Aaaaand there we go... Tell me. Does that somehow justify nVidia doing it...?

Two wrongs definitely don't make a right.

It makes perfect sense.

AMD also improved a bunch of features multiple times. That doesn't actually mean that the feature is useful, despite it being better.

As for your last sentence, you just confirmed that you think companies should be able to expect free advertising from their reviewers. Good to know where you stand on that.

HBU advertised that rasterzing performance should be the only metric to consider. Based on this they prefered the 6800XT as a better buy. In Cyberpunk a 6800XT cant deliver 60FPS in 4K.
A 3080 can provide 60FPS with DLSS. So, come again. How is HBU conclusion now relevant anymore?

You only make this statement, because in your mind only one opinion/view is allowed to exist. And that is exactly the problem. And it's even a larger problem if that opinion has to be the same as a corporation that is known for using shady tactics.

Shady tactics lol, reminds me of the 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Every company small or big wants to gain market traction, even Sony. They all try everything to get to the top. NV just has the best products in the class, RDNA2 didnt match Ampere, and theres where the problem lies.

NV has achieve their goal, everything back to normal. But the PR has started.

HBU advertised that rasterzing performance should be the only metric to consider. Based on this they prefered the 6800XT as a better buy. In Cyberpunk a 6800XT cant deliver 60FPS in 4K.
A 3080 can provide 60FPS with DLSS. So, come again. How is HBU conclusion now relevant anymore?

Generally, even in normal rasterization Ampere is more performant across the board. We can't ignore 4k (in special if you hate upscaling). 4k isnt all that friendly to small B/W gpus, and it seems 4k isnt all that friendly to 128mb IC.

Generally, even in normal rasterization Ampere is more performant across the board. We can't ignore 4k (in special if you hate upscaling). 4k isnt all that friendly to small B/W gpus, and it seems 4k isnt all that friendly to 128mb IC.

I'm with HBU when it comes to 4K and raytracing. It isnt an option in most games. But in 1440p most games get 60FPS+ on a 3080 with raytracing: https://www.sweclockers.com/test/30...0-troligtvis-inte-spelkortet-du-letar-efter/7

And this makes their conclusion from the 6800XT review so misleading. As a 4K player the 6800XT isnt fast enough. And in 1440p raytracing is possible with high frames without upscaling on a 3080.

Cyberpunk 2077 is ONE game, how many games are there on the PC? I understand it's going to be popular, but it's just one game. As for RT is general, there are about 3 or 4 games which are actually making significant use of it. Not everyone is interested in those few games.

I can totally understand the position HUB are taking with respect to RT, but at the moment it's not a must have feature outside a couple of titles and even then they look great without RT.

IMHO people need to get some perspective.

I can totally understand the position HUB are taking with respect to RT

Their position has evolved considerably in the past few weeks and is much more reasonable now. Before they were cherry picking the worst RT implementations as reason to write off RT completely. Now they have a more balanced view and are using more appropriate games that represent the best of what RT currently offers.

Their position has evolved considerably in the past few weeks and is much more reasonable now. Before they were cherry picking the worst RT implementations as reason to write off RT completely. Now they have a more balanced view and are using more appropriate games that represent the best of what RT currently offers.
No they weren't. Sure, if you look at their RTX 3080 review, they don't really touch RT & DLSS much. Because they released a dedicated RT & DLSS video soon after. Guess 03:45 - Metro Exodus 05:38 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider 07:07 - Control 10:14 - Wolfenstein Youngblood 11:49 - Fortnite 13:34 - Death Stranding 15:05 - F1 2020 are the worst RT/DLSS implementations too? Or are you now cherry picking a video or two and ignoring the rest?

Where exactly did they "write it off completely"? The harshest I've seen is them saying RT / DLSS isn't a reason to buy a card today and that you should rather focus in rasterization performance, which many agree with.

No they weren't. Sure, if you look at their RTX 3080 review, they don't really touch RT & DLSS much. Because they released a dedicated RT & DLSS video soon after. Guess 03:45 - Metro Exodus 05:38 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider 07:07 - Control 10:14 - Wolfenstein Youngblood 11:49 - Fortnite 13:34 - Death Stranding 15:05 - F1 2020 are the worst RT/DLSS implementations too? Or are you now cherry picking a video or two and ignoring the rest?

Where exactly did they "write it off completely"? The harshest I've seen is them saying RT / DLSS isn't a reason to buy a card today and that you should rather focus in rasterization performance, which many agree with.

Yes I’m referring to their launch coverage of RDNA 2 and Ampere.

@Kaotik

The watch dogs legion and cyberpunk videos are pretty good, but in isolation they lack the total picture you'd want from a review. The one you linked is probably the best they've done in terms of giving at least a look at what was broadly available at the time. The actual RTX 3080, 3070 and 3060ti reviews have ray tracing segments that could be described as anemic at best. I don't really have a problem with that, if that's what they want to do. They seem to mostly like testing Tomb Raider, and I'm assuming it has a built-in benchmark and that's why they're using it.

Back