Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
xss 60fps ? it's 30. DF conclusion: you want 60fps ps5 version is best, you are fine with 30 go xsx with quality mode which is best looking
lol right. "not a typo" but I have a typo. Fixed.

It's a bit strange it goes up to 1296p, implying the original code goes up there although I guess they somehow add AO as well, so maybe it's some weird hack. Worst case, it's just the TAA playing tricks on the count.

Yes, entirely PS4/4Pro level patch, likewise with XboxOne/OneX level (if or when it releases).

lol right. "not a typo" but I have a typo. Fixed.

It's a bit strange it goes up to 1296p, implying the original code goes up there although I guess they somehow add AO as well, so maybe it's some weird hack. Worst case, it's just the TAA playing tricks on the count.
Don't forget that xbox xdk was updated to detect current gen platforms.
So even though it may not be the full on update they simply have different settings for XSS compared to 1S.

So PS5 inherits PS4 settings + increased resolution and framerate.
XBSX/S inherits XBO settings with better res and framerate, but has a quality mode.

The quality mode on just one console I don't understand considering the performance of PS5 when comparing similar modes.

edit: maybe quality was added to One X initially and then dropped the idea. But the code remained there to be used for XBSX.

So PS5 inherits PS4 settings + increased resolution and framerate.
XBSX/S inherits XBO settings with better res and framerate, but has a quality mode.

The quality mode on just one console I don't understand considering the performance of PS5 when comparing similar modes.

Here's some speculation by me, without having looked further into this title, so please bear with me if it's off the mark...

I think it comes down to how much memory is available to the game when targeting last-gen. On Xbox side they have 2 potential settings to be run under, X GB for the base One/OneS and then X + 4 GB for OneX. On the Playstation side they have 2 potential settings to run under, X GB for PS4 and then X + 0.5GB for 4Pro.

So the options are limited when they only have another 512 Meg available, compared to having another 4 GB available.

The sad thing is when John mentions the console versions do not have that wow moment PC has. I think I will get it on Steam tomorrow and give it a go.

Exactly why I am all for full access to the PC settings menu in the console versions. This multiple modes horse shit is a cruel joke for everyone so why the fucking tease? Let the end user decide what sacrifices they are willing to make instead of leaving it to the mercy of the developer. Beyond the mouth breathing console warrior upheaval, the normal person who just wants to play a game gets more choice.

The sad thing is when John mentions the console versions do not have that wow moment PC has. I think I will get it on Steam tomorrow and give it a go.
I'm unsure if he was talking about graphics or things like crowd density which is what I think off.

I personally would go for modes that have higher npc density etc, regardless of framerate (30fps) or resolution as the game really looks barren and uninteresting otherwise.

XSS is actually having a really good showing in this game. Just lacking a 60fps mode.
Here's some speculation by me, without having looked further into this title, so please bear with me if it's off the mark...
Intresting theory.
How does the XSS fit in?

Last edited:
it must be stressed that this game even on PC has "last gen" assets, characters, cars etc... don't look next gen to me, sure it has next gen effects, like RT etc... which improve A LOT the look of the game, but we already see in games like FIFA 21 better modelled characters, and a lot of them, at 4K 60fps.
I don't think CP2077 will stay a graphical benchmark for the years to come.

Intresting that PS5 is pretty clear ahead in GPU limited situations..

it must be stressed that this game even on PC has "last gen" assets, characters, cars etc... don't look next gen to me, sure it has next gen effects, like RT etc... which improve A LOT the look of the game, but we already see in games like FIFA 21 better modelled characters, and a lot of them, at 4K 60fps.
I don't think CP2077 will stay a graphical benchmark for the years to come.

Comparing FIFA to huge open world..

Last edited:
On the Cyberpunk DF video:

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW5mQDjHGwHrzD_tcwBUJFw']2002SLPSS1991
DF, did you turn off Xbox's automatic screen capture that runs in the background? In my gameplay it effects performance, so its off on all my consoles."

A comment from the video claimed that the automatic screen capture feature causes performance issues on Series consoles. Not sure if it's that odd hang issue while driving, or overall performance.
(I don't have one to test)

one thing that we learned this gen is that open world games characters can now easily reach the quality of smaller scale games, it's not an argument anymore sorry.

Exactly why I am all for full access to the PC settings menu in the console versions. This multiple modes horse shit is a cruel joke for everyone so why the fucking tease? Let the end user decide what sacrifices they are willing to make instead of leaving it to the mercy of the developer. Beyond the mouth breathing console warrior upheaval, the normal person who just wants to play a game gets more choice.

You have to keep in mind these games are going for a console audience, even most core console gamers aren't the type to fiddle around with a bunch of sliders even at start, much less changing settings during the game to hit peak performance in any given section since different sections will stress the GPU differently.

I figure the main reason consoles have set modes is because, at the end of the day, the specs are more or less locked and the same across millions of devices. Yes there's optimizations to be made by the developer keeping in mind performance capabilities across a set range of devices, but it's still at most 5-7 console configurations versus dozens of different GPU, CPU, RAM, storage etc. combinations on PC. Because the amount of variance is so much larger on PC they need to provide all of those different slider options out of necessity, they can't configure a "perfect" performance mode for that space.

Also, I don't think them having any of those slider options on console would benefit this particular game at current. It'd just be the option being present, but not much effect. Any performance issues on a given system that isn't the last-gen machines, can probably be chalked up to lack of time on CDProjeckt's part to implement optimizations. So giving the player the option to change some sliders won't do much when the sliders are just a frontend for nonexistent code they need to add in later on anyway.

"Pretty clear ahead" would be more in DiRT 5 territory tbh; these versions of Cyberpunk seem practically identical.

Since these are the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions running on PS5 and Series X respectively, also keep in mind One X versions of games tend to have higher-quality texture assets, like @Jay suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back