All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why 1 day?

Because it makes him feel better when he can make it seem like Sony did a better job than it had? Don't get me wrong, Sony did gangbuster numbers, but it was more than just a single day. There had been multiple restock of products to sell going on the entire month.

The data for this report is for the period November 2nd - November 29th, 2020. It covers the retail territories listed at the bottom of the article.

There had been multiple restock of products to sell going on the entire month.

this is untrue on several levels; there were not multiple restock of (PS5) products, and even if there were, “the entire month” is BS because in Europe it went officially on sale in the last third of the month

this is untrue on several levels; there were not multiple restock of (PS5) products, and even if there were, “the entire month” is BS because in Europe it went officially on sale in the last third of the month

The data for this report is for the period November 2nd - November 29th, 2020. It covers the retail territories listed at the bottom of the article.

So it was short by 2 days, the 1st and 30th.

Well, if it helps the debate any... :p

PS5 has been sold since Nov 12th in the US and the Switch still sold more consoles (unit sales). However, the PS5 had larger revenue (dollar sales) for Nov. due to its higher price point.

December will be interesting to see. I suspect NSW is likely to still sell more just because the PS5 will be supply limited. And NSW has historically seen a huge spike in sales in Dec. More so than spikes for any other non-Nintendo console. This is likely due to parents, grandparents, or relatives getting gifts for their children, grandchildren or relative's children.

But the PS5 will still bring in more dollar sales due to its higher price point.

Regards,
SB

No. That's when it started being delivered. Not when preorders opened up or started. So they had since sometime near beginning to middle of September to take orders.

In the EU the norm is that the sale takes place only once goods have been dispatched for delivery. Some EU member states do not enforce this, but most do. Paid pre-order are unusual in the EU. If you are in the EU and paying for an pre-order, some shady shit is going down and that should be clue enough.

In the EU the norm is that the sale takes place only once goods have been dispatched for delivery. Some EU member states do not enforce this, but most do. Paid pre-order are unusual in the EU. If you are in the EU and paying for an pre-order, some shady shit is going down and that should be clue enough.

Likewise some shady shit is going on if pre-orders aren't honored. So outside of people canceling their pre-order at launch, most of the those consoles were "sold" before the official launch. Likewise a lot of consoles that will be shipped/picked up/paid for in the coming months can be viewed as being sold in Nov. even if their sale won't be tallied until whenever they are shipped/picked up/paid for.

So, you're both technically correct. It wasn't "sold" until you could pick up your console or it shipped. but it was also "sold" when a person reserved their pre-order. :p

Regards,
SB

It went on sale 19 November.
Let’s pretend there was restock on

yeah “the entire month”
I wish I only had to work “the entire month” in that case

What?

There was no “restock”. November (and December, and January, and a few months after that), “sales figures” are actually just “supply figures”. Which makes comparisons completely redundant and rife for misinterpretation.

Likewise some shady shit is going on if pre-orders aren't honored. So outside of people canceling their pre-order at launch, most of the those consoles were "sold" before the official launch.

Both 'sale' and a contract of sale are legally defined (EU Directive 2019/771) and requires payment, I pre-ordered my PS5 back 17 September, it was sold to me on 18 November - that's when Amazon shipped it and I paid for it. Some EU countries like the UK have additional legislation - originally The Sale of Goods Act 1979, then the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

No PlayStation 5 consoles were sold in the EU before November. I'm sure some people put down a deposit and some may have paid a store, but they sure as hell were not selling you a PS5 because no transaction of goods or service has taken place. :nope: It sucks if you are in an EU country that really doesn't enforce these consumer protection laws but I imagine these edge cases are just not sufficient to warrant having a national body tasked to enforce it. Not everywhere has an equivalent of the UK's Trading Standards Agency so shops can basically do what they like and nobody cares about a few console gamers getting screwed up with failed pre-orders.

Did Sony do any direct sales of consoles like Microsoft has with their online store?

In the US the actual "funds hold" for the sale was done 1 week before delivery date if you used credit card. This way they don't deliver any free consoles if the billing isn't able to go through. I think the full charge was listed as the 10th. So despite the delivery being on November 10th, the sale was started on the 3rd, but finished on the 10th.

I believe a lot of Xbox sales are people that fell for paper specs; many people I know said: “I don’t care about exclusives, I just need the system that runs 3rd party games the best, and that’s that Xbox Series X”

but now that both perform about the same with PS5 having favorable resolution or frame rates or both in most titles, I expect such people like the ones described above to not go for Xbox anymore.

so once both consoles are in stock, I expect PS5 outselling Both Xbox models combined at least 3:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back