Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

And even less of us have a TV that supports VRR... It's a totally niche feature at the moment which is, mainly, just used as a moaning point!

Will you please stop moaning over my moaning?
To avoid a moan fest, I feel like we should have a gentleman's agreement over who gets to moan at any given time.

Yeah most of us don’t even have a date yet for their PS5 delivery ...
:(

I hope that Forever. Games cannot relly on a spec that 99% of the installed TV base does not have. Programmers have to fix the thing without rellying on hardware on the TVs.
PS: My TV supports VRR.
Joining in on the sarcastic fun with you :D

Same with RT. Most existing HW doesn't have it. Why support it? DLSS is a gimmick and so is fast SSD storage - obviously, most games were made with 2.5" 5400 RPM HDDs in mind. All that extra hardware is making the kids programmers lazy.

PS: My GPU supports both and I have a fast NVMe drive.

It won’t happen until their own TVs support it, which could take months.

my guess is they are behind on their own firmware updates. With the botched 120hz input mode for their own sets needing another update to get full resolution, I think it will take months.

I also think developers should provide stable games, but at the same time, if PS5 has shown us anything it’s that we NEED unlocked frame rates as it means “free remasters” for the next generation.

and what if a game is locked 30 but actually 38-43 FPS. What if somebody wants that with their variable refresh screen? Let them eat it

Joining in on the sarcastic fun with you :D

Same with RT. Most existing HW doesn't have it. Why support it? DLSS is a gimmick and so is fast SSD storage - obviously, most games were made with 2.5" 5400 RPM HDDs in mind. All that extra hardware is making the kids programmers lazy.

PS: My GPU supports both and I have a fast NVMe drive.

I'm not saying not to support it. I'm saying that games should not relly on that tech to solve its problems. Up until now we never had that tech, and we never had major problems with tearing. Tearing can be fixed without VRR.

As for RT. Tottaly diferent matter. RT is now on every console, and do not depend on external hardware or software. It's use is not comparable to VRR.

Reactions: snc
I'm not saying not to support it. I'm saying that games should not relly on that tech to solve its problems. Up until now we never had that tech, and we never had major problems with tearing. Tearing can be fixed without VRR.

As for RT. Tottaly diferent matter. RT is now on every console, and do not depend on external hardware or software. It's use is not comparable to VRR.
You need a display with an HDMI input to see RT (or anything), so the console does depend on external hardware in that regard. I think all people are asking for is that the hardware support the features that were promised out. I guess VRR wasn't exactly promised, but 8k was, as was NVME expansion. And the promised HDMI 2.1 support implies support for VRR, 4k120, 8k, auto low latency mode, and other features. And I think at the end of the day, the fact that features were promised but not delivered is disappointing, even if you don't have the extra hardware to support those features.

If Sony advertised hdmi 2.1 somebody in eu should complain to the right consumer right thingy
I am surprised nobody did that yet. They deserve some big class action lawsuit against them. All of that because of their TVs TVs TVs. :runaway:

Back