Pc in enclosed cabinet - how bad an idea is this?

How bad an idea is it to put a PC with something like a ~65 watt CPU and a ~300 watt GPU in a enclosed wooden TV cabinet with basically nothing more than a 5x10cm hole in the back for ventilation?

I'm thinking about putting my PC in the living room but obviously the wife isn't exactly overjoyed with the idea of having a big black box next to the tv.

I tried looking for smaller, good looking cases but the few that don't look totally horrible are too inconvenient from a form factor perspective so that isn't an option.

How bad an idea is it to put a PC with something like a ~65 watt CPU and a ~300 watt GPU in a enclosed wooden TV cabinet with basically nothing more than a 5x10cm hole in the back for ventilation?

A reference just for fun: I have an always-ready heater in my sauna, it takes 300W to keep the stones hot for bathing (i.e. at a few hundred degrees celsius) at all times.

Back in the day I did run my HTPC inside a wooden TV cabinet, but it had a 45W TDP Athlon X2 with IGP only and the cabinet's backside was open from top (about 80cm*20cm opening).

I'm thinking about putting my PC in the living room but obviously the wife isn't exactly overjoyed with the idea of having a big black box next to the tv.

I tried looking for smaller, good looking cases but the few that don't look totally horrible are too inconvenient from a form factor perspective so that isn't an option.

If it can throttle down properly, it should be okay. But could be annoying when doing things that need continuous performance.

Btw you probably can stick a small fan on that ventilation to make better airflow. Also can use usb fan for easier cabling

I would use it only for gaming so it's probably going to heat up quite a bit.

Come to think of it, a better option might be to move my tv a couple of cm forward and put the case behind the TV on top of the TV's counterweight.

I would use it only for gaming so it's probably going to heat up quite a bit.

Come to think of it, a better option might be to move my tv a couple of cm forward and put the case behind the TV on top of the TV's counterweight.

Have you though of putting your wife in a cabinet so she doesn't have to see the PC? Lovingly of course. You could leave some issues of Womans Own in there to read and some knitting gear.

Active display port (and USB 3) cables aren't that expensive. Isn't there some hall closet within 10 meters and couple of drilled holes?

also could be making tinyyyy PC that supports full length GPU like this

so can be placed outside of the cabinet, without looking like a manacing big black box

Active display port (and USB 3) cables aren't that expensive. Isn't there some hall closet within 10 meters and couple of drilled holes?

Rental house so unfortunately drilling is a big no-no unless I want to pay for getting the wall fixed + replacing the wallpaper for the whole living room.

Maybe make a large hole into back of cabinet and huge fan turning slowly to rotate air to void cooling issues while keeping noise down?

Back