Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It was the CPU, but in the end, every PS3 even the ones without any PS2 hardware received full software BC, with hacks you could use it for every title, DF did a video on this

Yes, but the discussion was if "big" changes was done within the first year of release of the device. The change was to save on cost, it might be the same again for PS5DE.
I mean if 6NM for some reason makes the DE a viable product for Sony to sell ( My thought is that they lose to much money on it, currently) it might be a change Sony will do.

Last edited:
Not surprised. The methodology of Gamer's Nexus have being questioned by some, and not only because of thermal pads. We could see on his setup the cables were preventing the shield to be correctly positioned.

But GN clarified there weren't cured thermal pads on the GDDR6 memory, and that was one of the things being chiefly levied as a criticism at his results. Haven't seen SpawnWave's vid yet but does he use the same equipment as GamersNexus? Same testing conditions and software environments?

Hm... weird, he is getting better temps than Gamer's Nexus. Topping at 97ºC on the memory when covering the console with a blanket. My guess is his results wont get much attraction as they are good.

View attachment 5056

I mean, even the earlier results were quite good, hope people weren't complaining over the GN results considering they're well within safety range for this type of silicon.

Could system updates be factoring into measured differences between GN's tests and SpawnWave's? Sony did put out a small system update between the time of these two tests, they might've changed some of the PSU, fan etc. settings subtly.

Yeah, CPU was removed on CECH-C/E as well as the Rambus memory.

ps2_netemu (the .self that was used for PSN classics) was far far away from full BC even with community configuration patches. For the stuff that is fully playable there might be various audio/visual glitches.

Remember having a fat PS3 with just the PS1 emulation in there, some games like UmJammer Lammy (I love that game, it needs a sequel) were unplayable on it due to the timing being thrown off.

Always wondered if that was just me (1st-Party controller btw) or if it came down to some kind of implementation of PS1 emulation on PS3 that made playing a game like that impossible.

Last edited:

Hm... weird, he is getting better temps than Gamer's Nexus. Topping at 97ºC on the memory when covering the console with a blanket. My guess is his results wont get much attraction as they are good.

View attachment 5056

The temps are in line with the more normal readings from Gamers Nexus. There was seemingly just one outlier module in their testing. I wasn't clear on whether the temperature testing in this setup ruled out one or more modules being significantly hotter than the rest.

That could point to an issue in GN's testing on one of the modules, or perhaps a case of some sort of manufacturing variability issue like the metal stamp on that part of the shield not making adequate contact in that PS5.

But GN clarified there weren't cured thermal pads on the GDDR6 memory, and that was one of the things being chiefly levied as a criticism at his results. Haven't seen SpawnWave's vid yet but does he use the same equipment as GamersNexus? Same testing conditions and software environments?
There was an interview with a PS5 hardware designer that cited the thermal compound on the GDDR6 chips as being a liquid that was applied to the chips, since that expedited manufacturing and helped provide adequate coverage versus peeling pads off of a backing and applying them.

The temps are in line with the more normal readings from Gamers Nexus. There was seemingly just one outlier module in their testing. I wasn't clear on whether the temperature testing in this setup ruled out one or more modules being significantly hotter than the rest.

That could point to an issue in GN's testing on one of the modules, or perhaps a case of some sort of manufacturing variability issue like the metal stamp on that part of the shield not making adequate contact in that PS5.

There was an interview with a PS5 hardware designer that cited the thermal compound on the GDDR6 chips as being a liquid that was applied to the chips, since that expedited manufacturing and helped provide adequate coverage versus peeling pads off of a backing and applying them.

Oh, well that changes some things then x3. But it also goes back to the point you just made, too: not all the modules would be at the exact same temperature on any given amount of activity. Just the fact there'll be very, very minute (non-critical) variations in bits of the silicon in production could have a passive influence there, at least I would think it would.

What's the exact type of thermal compound they're using for the GDDR6 chips?

Gamer Nexus says its normal Thermal Pads they got on their PS5 (memory chips).

Gamer Nexus says its normal Thermal Pads they got on their PS5 (memory chips).

That's what I thought too, but then what about this?

Maybe they look like normal thermal pads but in composition aren't regular thermal pads? Anyone got a link to the interview by chance?

One year console exclusive for DeathLoop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

Guess that answers how the delay on Deathloop affected the timed exclusivity: it didn't.

Really curious about where Starfield lands in this regard. I have to assume that's not coming to PS5, but I'll be extremely surprised if it does (and also, if that happens, weary on MS's decisions with software releases going forward because they honestly need as many ecosystem exclusives they can get, and a PS5 release for Starfield will get gamers expecting all the other big Bethesda games to come there, too).

Hopefully we hear more about the deal as all the legal stuff's cleared out by early next year.

Oh, well that changes some things then x3. But it also goes back to the point you just made, too: not all the modules would be at the exact same temperature on any given amount of activity. Just the fact there'll be very, very minute (non-critical) variations in bits of the silicon in production could have a passive influence there, at least I would think it would.
The GN testing had one module running above 90C versus others near 70C, which if thermal transfer were at least somewhat equal shouldn't be due to variations in activity. The modules themselves would be working under a max ceiling of several watts each, and the system would be trying to keep accesses relatively balanced across channels.
It would be more likely that transfer wasn't equal between the modules.

What's the exact type of thermal compound they're using for the GDDR6 chips?
I don't know more beyond it being described as a compound that cures after it is applied.

Maybe they look like normal thermal pads but in composition aren't regular thermal pads? Anyone got a link to the interview by chance?
It was linked in this thread: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2165830/
https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201016035/
I'm relying on machine translation, so perhaps there is a misinterpretation, but the overall context seems to support the idea that the GDDR6 interface material is liquid at time of application.
I wouldn't know how to reconcile the article and the claims at GN, but I also wouldn't have the opportunity to physically inspect the pads like GN did.

Mr. Otori: This is TIM. It is applied to the shield plate, DC / DC power supply circuit that is the heat source, GDDR6 memory, SSD flash memory, and the part to be installed. It plays a role in transferring the heat from the heat source to the shield plate.

The TIM applied to the shield looks like a circular rubber sheet, but it seems to be liquid at the manufacturing process stage. It cures over time and eventually becomes a rubber-like texture. The height of the chip group that is the heat source is expected to vary to some extent, but this TIM is liquid at the time of application, so that variation can be absorbed.

Mr. Otori: The adoption of this TIM is closely related to the manufacturing process. In general, I think that there are many forms of pasting a sheet-type TIM and peeling off the mount, but the work of peeling off the mount is a process that is difficult to realize with a robot arm. The method of injecting (liquid TIM) with an injector is compatible with automatic production by machines.

Ok I checked it, some tearing now and lower quality ray tracing (no shadows in pedestrians reflection in scene that are in fidelity mode), more agressive assets popup, but still resolution looks sharp so have to say update is brliiant but I've already finished Miles for 100%

Last edited:
Ok I checked it, some tearing now and lower quality ray tracing (no shadows in pedestrians reflection in scene that are in fidelity mode), more agressive assets popup, but still resolution looks sharp so have to say update is brliiant but I've already finished Miles for 100%

Goddammit how long is it going to take Sony to support VRR?

Back