All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS5 will reach it first. I'm pretty sure though that Wii didn't reach 10M before X360.

You mean when launch aligned? Because XB360 was launched a full year earlier than Wii... on top of that, Wii was severely supply constrained (for quite some time) when compared to PS3/XB360 system launches.

You mean when launch aligned? Because XB360 was launched a full year earlier than Wii... on top of that, Wii was severely supply constrained (for quite some time) when compared to PS3/XB360 system launches.

I meant or rather Mattrick meant that first to 10M period. The year headstart was a key part in their plan to reach that 10M first and establish a strong market position, all in all I think it was a successful strategy for them and the statement had a lot of truth in it.

seems a bit more revisionist history.

the xbox 360 was extremely hard to get at launch with game stop having preorder lists months after the launch.

The theory was correct back when they launched X360 early to catch Sony off-guard and it largely worked outside of Japan.

It was a different era though before people were digitally "locked in" to specific ecosystems. It's much harder now IMO to pull PS4 owners over to Series X|S than it was to pull PS2 owners over to X360.

Their best play is still GamePass. They have to make it irresistible though. It's great right now IMO, but not irresistible. They're working on it, having gone from 6 studios to 23 in only two or three years.

This year was ok on GP with Wasteland 3, Ori WotW, Minecraft Dungeons, Gears Tactics, Tell me Why and Battletoads so far and Call of the Sea soon, but they need twice that amount of goodness annually to make the service irresistible.

seems a bit more revisionist history.

the xbox 360 was extremely hard to get at launch with game stop having preorder lists months after the launch.

There is no revisionist history. Number one, I never said XB360 wasn't supply constrained, most new launches are. Number two, Wii was far more supply constrained (for quite some time) worldwide than XB360 ever was. So please stop with the nonsense...

There is no revisionist history. Number one, I never said XB360 wasn't supply constrained, most new launches are. Number two, Wii was far more supply constrained (for quite some time) worldwide than XB360 ever was. So please stop with the nonsense...

still going to disagree with you. Xbox 360 was supply constrained for many months after its launch in NA and Europe

Sorry but is surely wasn't at least not in Europe.
The arcade version was channel stuffed quite a lot. I remember having arguments with Xbox fans way back in the day; they were claiming it was sold out because the 20GB version was not available, even though the arcade version was available everywhere. This is for Western Europe. Maybe in NA the situation was different, but after launch month I believe you could walk into any store

The 360 was supply constrained in North America for a while after launch. The demand was there. Microsoft just couldn't make them fast enough. It took a decent bit of time before supply kept up with demand.

The Wii was also supply constrained at launch. The demand was there. Nintendo didn't want to make them fast enough. This was due to Nintendo deciding to wait until manufacturing costs were lower so the Wii could earn a profit when sold.

I think there's an argument that demand was greater for the Wii in the beginning years due to when Nintendo ramped up production and the correlating sales of Wii.

Hum, I never thought about that. GP could affect XB overall single standalone game sales. Some XB gamers could simply opt and wait for the title to hit gamepass.
Yup, that's exactly what I do with titles I'm on the fence about. It's too expensive to own them all. So you have to pick and choose. With Gamepass, picking and choosing becomes easier. You just choose the ones you know you are 100% sold on and just hope the rest make their way to gamepass eventually.

PSN sales last November
IMG_20201209_111722.jpg

Mod Edit: Image as attachment since it wasn't displaying for some
IMG_20201209_111722[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah we finally have definitive proof that the EU only cares about shooters like COD while NA only cares about Spiderman. :p j/k.

More seriously, I am kind of surprised at how much better shooters sold in the EU than in NA for PS5.

Regards,
SB

How is Maneater on the charts? Is it a sleeper hit? Or rather inexpensive?

Ah we finally have definitive proof that the EU only cares about shooters like COD while NA only cares about Spiderman. :p j/k.

More seriously, I am kind of surprised at how much better shooters sold in the EU than in NA for PS5.

Regards,
SB

maybe in the US they know that buying the cheaper PS4 version gives you the PS5 version? Don’t know but it could be a thing :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back