Valve announces VR-Only Half Life: Alyx. [2020]

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
PC Gamer says:

Regardless, I found Alyx to look pretty decent across all presets. Maintaining a steady 90 frames per second is actually more important—at least in my opinion—than the graphics settings. I didn't notice a huge difference between "Low" and "Ultra" besides fewer wrinkles on a Vortigaunt, or a less vibrant flashlight beam, but there's a definite difference between a smooth and responsive 90Hz and a janky 90Hz with dropped frames. It's the difference between really "being there," and being all-too-aware that you're in a videogame.

So what's your point? I don't think anyone disagrees that there isn't that much difference between graphics settings in alyx. That said the dynamic resolution can hide the difference really well for those users who crank graphics settings in favor of resolution. It's very easy to do this as the dynamic resolution keeps game smooth with the cost of lowered resolution. User would just wonder how is the game this blurry and not even know the game is compromised due to lowered rendering resolution,... If anything rendering and texture resolution is better thing to optimize in this game than cranking pixel quality up. Only way to make this issue visible is to use command line option to disable dynamic resolution and see if game hitches in higher settings(it will, unless you have 2080ti).

I played the game through and enjoyed the graphics and immersion thoroughly. Something called low in alyx is not low at all when looking at how amazing the game looks in vr. Something like elite dangerous looks dog crap in it's highest settings versus alyx low.

Last edited:
It should be noted that SteamVR's dynamic resolution in Alyx overrides any manually set resolution/supersampling done by the user. Most of the players have probably cranked out everything to Ultra High not even realizing that the game is being rendered in potatocam resolution on their Uber PC rig...

Nice! I'll play alyx on low except texture quality, hopefully it will also cut down the fog / haze. At least When I managed to gather enough courage.

This game is waaaaaaaay too scary for me. The atmosphere while doing nothing is already scary...

Alyx sales likely to have passed 2 million. Very decent sales considering how small vr market is. Take this with usual teamspy salt.

Previously, the game was marked in the 1 million – 2 million owners bracket on the platform, but recently changed over to the 2 million – 5 million bracket. These aren’t official numbers from Valve itself, so can’t be taken as definitive, but Steam Spy has long served as one of the few means of estimating game sales on Steam.
https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-2-million/

is it still free with the index ? Because index is selling really well its always back ordered

It comes free with index. Do we know how many units index has been sold? I would bet it's a lot less than million units. Steam surveys puts index into minority. Oculus products alone are more than 50% of the headsets in steam surveys.

Last edited:
It comes free with index. Do we know how many units index has been sold? I would bet it's a lot less than million units. Steam surveys but index into minority. Oculus products alone are more than 50% of the headsets in steam surveys.
https://vrgear.com/news/valve-index-sells-149k-units-in-2019-69-of-all-sales-in-q4/
The Valve Index sold 149,000 units in the year of 2019.

it sounds like from the article about a 100k of those were sold in q4 of that year lining up with half life and they were production limited. So i dunno , i'd wager they have to have sold close to half a million or more now

edit- just want to add it looks like its a 4-6 week wait for the complete kit to ship and 6-8 weeks for the headset only. So it seems like they are still production limited and its still selling poorly

Last edited:
Back