Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

The demographics would be different at least. Presumably more young people died in WW2 than we are seeing with CoVid.

Wiki indicates 291K combat deaths, 113K Other for WW2 ("non-combat deaths including those from accidents, disease, suicide, and murder").

There must be age stats for covid - wonder if it's killing off boomers. :eek:

Indeed. But there is still a generational shift, just different. This will be the largest movement of wealth in the US in such a condensed period of time. Not to mention the amount of life insurance payouts.

I have no idea how the money will be used of course. But that's the difference.

The demographics would be different at least. Presumably more young people died in WW2 than we are seeing with CoVid.

Wiki indicates 291K combat deaths, 113K Other for WW2 ("non-combat deaths including those from accidents, disease, suicide, and murder").

There must be age stats for covid - wonder if it's killing off boomers. :eek:

There is something to be said on covid19 finishing what the war couldn't. Pretty morbid thought. Probably deaths skew heavily towards elderly or otherwise weak(fat, out of shape, other underlying conditions like diabetes) people.

There is the odd young and healthy in mix also who suffer greatly while not dying. Like cody garbrandt who is young and in super shape ufc fighter. He has a long road ahead to recovery. In some cases I guess it depends on your genes/luck how badly covid19 affects you.

"Disclaimer from my last post, I was positive for COVID Aug. 29th," the athlete wrote on his Instagram Story in a since-expired or deleted post, per MMA News and MMA Fighting. "Since then I have been battling vertigo, tore my vein in my bicep which resulted in finding out I have blood clots, pneumonia, and mental fog, these are the symptoms I’ve had and been dealing with and this is the reason I pulled out of the fight."
https://people.com/sports/ufc-cody-garbrant-details-lingering-symptoms-coronavirus/

My view is that things are fine until we run out of hospital beds. If there is enough care available no need to isolate. Breaking point in my mind is when we cannot give care to all the sick people. California is expected to run out of hospital beds during december. This can lead to many unnecessary deaths. Who knows where deathcount is by summer2021 if vaccines don't pan out quickly.

Indeed. But there is still a generational shift, just different. This will be the largest movement of wealth in the US in such a condensed period of time. Not to mention the amount of life insurance payouts.

In Sweden ~90 % of all dead are above 70 years old. I do not know how life insurance works, but I assume you do not get much when you are that old.

In Sweden ~90 % of all dead are above 70 years old. I do not know how life insurance works, but I assume you do not get much when you are that old.
You would be wrong. Most life insurances increase in value the longer you hold them. They essentially work like an investment with a payout at death.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how they work in Sweden. But my policies never change. If I want to life assure for longer/more worth my premiums go up. Each time I try to make a change to my premiums I have to go through health checks, blood checks etc. There are a variety of different life insurance policies etc.

I don't really know what what happens in the case of COVID to be honest, I should probably review my life insurance, but yea, it's can be quite a bit of money that can be sent down. Typically once you've signed a policy, the insurance group cannot get out. They bank on the notion that there will always be >>>>>>>>> more people paying premiums than people dying. As you can pay life insurance from 20 years of age with a life expectancy to 80. But if you have a bunch of people just dying enmasse all within 10 months because of

a) covid
b) hospitals can no longer function due to overwhelmed resources

yea, it's going to be nuts for insurance companies, they will be paying out more now than ever before this year.

You would be wrong. Most life insurances increase in value the longer you hold them. They essentially work like an investment with a payout at death.

Actually here the plans referred to as life insurances typically either have a fixed payout with rising yearly fees, or a yearly-declining payout in the event of death.

There are also retirement saving plans which work like investment funds, (hopefully) increasing in value over time, which have additional clauses in case of death. But here in the nordics the financial market environment for these is not quite the same as in the US or Canada, it is not common at all at least in Finland - not sure about current situation in Sweden, there are differences in legislation but we have common financial players operating in both countries.

How much do you (well, your beneficiaries) get from your life insurance when you die. I do not get how it works for the insurance companies, because that is certain that you will have to pay that.

I have some kind of life insurance but that is tied to how long I am expected to work so that goes to zero when I reach retirement age.

Possibly like a Ponzi scheme? Or they hope more people cancel their policies before the final event?

Just took my wife in to the ER for diverticulitis-like symptoms. She debated for a few hours, but the pain was awful so we went. They took our temps and masks were required. I was surprised because the parking lot wasn't too bad and the waiting room had a crowd but they were all social distanced and it wasn't packed.....

...then we registered and while they were registering her they explained to me that no one except patients were allowed in the waiting room and she would be triaged as soon as possible and treated as soon as possible after accordingly, but it would probably be about 5 hours before anyone got to see her and I had to leave thank you and have a nice night. "Go honey", said my wife shoving me as I stumbled a bit confused out of there with a slip of paper with the ER desk number and a case number to use to find out about my wife.

When I was stumbling confused out of there I notice the waiting room was a lot bigger than I thought, and 30% of the people had blankets on 'em and looked like they felt like hell. 20% were in wheel chairs. There were about 70 people there according to the number they assigned my wife and the one I heard being called out as I left, but i could be confusing things. I'm not exactly processed it all yet.

She has a good fancy mask on, but I'm still scared as hell! :(

Social distancing declined over time since April. Mask usage increased but in all other measures, compliance declined.

A study from The COVID States Project found that compliance with social distancing fell to a record low ahead of the fall surge in coronavirus cases.

Researchers surveyed over 15,000 people between April and November across all 50 states, according to The Washington Post.

The report found that adherence to health recommendations to reduce the spread of the virus had dropped steadily since April. Adherence to avoiding contact with others, avoiding crowded places, frequently washing hands and disinfecting surfaces all dropped to all-time lows.

Forty-five percent of Americans surveyed in October said that they had been in a room with people not in their households in the past 24 hours, up from 26 percent in April. Reports of spending time in a group of 11 to 100 people also more than doubled.

However, adhering to mask-wearing increased through the end of August, and has continued to increase, the study found. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed reported closely adhering to mask-wearing recommendations in November.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...ng-compliance-sank-to-low-in-october-ahead-of

Thats a bit crap isnt it, your more likely to die over 70

Of course, but much better business for the insurance company. It's just a lottery game of sorts, where I am betting for a small sum on dying unexpectedly. Pretty twisted when you think about it.

After a couple of hours she called me to come pick her up. Her wait time just kept increasing and she wasn't feeling safe in the ER as it was truly a nightmare. Her wait time went from 5 hours to 9 hours in the time she was there. :|

She's in bed now, gonna try and find a doc to write her a script for diverticulitis. Just some antibiotics and even if my sister can't write her one she probably has a friend who can...

EDITED BITS: People were dying in that waiting room, literally. The lady next to her was begging them for oxygen because she couldn't breath. It's BAD out there people, be safe!

Another update, I'm being all quiet like since my wife slept past 2pm but now I'm hearing her on the phone with what sounds like her doctor or a doctor doing a telehealth thingy. Should be plenty enough to get her the meds she needs so this isn't a nasty/fatal type thing, and a WHOLE lot safer than the ER room.

I'm still having flashbacks to that place. There were people there just waiting to f-ing die and the admitting people knew it, so very sad and freaky. :|

Sounds like a shitshow.

From visits to the local hospital during the first lockdown here in the UK, I know they were very careful about the whole Covid-19 situation. Set up a special "Covid Pod" for anybody with symptoms to enter as opposed to heading into A&E (the emergency room) and tested the temperature of everyone entering the hospital. Of course, we had extremely few cases in our local area during the first wave. We've been one of the hotspots during the second wave and I've thankfully not had to go to the hospital during this period, so I don't know if they've had to push possible Covid-19 cases to wait in A&E or not. I don't get the impression that anything we will have seen will be comparable to what may be happening in the US, post-Thanksgiving.

A worrying situation for you Digi but try to take the positive that, even if your wife did unluckily catch the virus in the ER while no doubt being extremely careful, she'll still almost certainly be fine.

Back