Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did the Xbox One X have a detail deficit compared to the PS4 Pro?

My answer: Because the game was designed for the base PS4 and Xbox One, and Gearbox has just been "patching it upwards" since then.

Yes, comes down to origins from Xbox One and PS4. Gearbox scaled those up, despite the ability to adjust settings for One X and Series X|S.

Curious to see why XSX has advantage in 120fps mode considering system arch is not optimized for low latency and there is split L3 yadda yadda /s

Good comparison, seem close enough to be pretty much identical.

Maybe only 8 threads and the games is not using SMT. ;) Here the XSX CPU runs at 3.8 Ghz against 3.5 Ghz for PS5.

bugs and oversight is the most likely answer regarding this launch period and such similarly capable machines.

Thanks. Is there a possibility that DF could provide with their game write-ups performance analysis/statistics files similar to this? It would be great for archiving and keeping records on prior game performance and/or when new patches are introduced.

There is competition in DF format now, so they should at least consider what they are doing better. Collecting stats and having accurate side-by-sides should be high on the list.

There is competition in DF format now, so they should at least consider what they are doing better. Collecting stats and having accurate side-by-sides should be high on the list.
I get the appeal of the stats but they're pretty noisy -- average and mean times can be misleading, i'd rather the game that sits at 59 fps for 6 hours than one that sits at 60 for 5 and a half hours and like 40 or something the rest.

Mostly they seem useful for console warring, I much prefer DF's approach of authored/subjective analysis of the experience plus frame graph data to back it up.

Mostly they seem useful for console warring, I much prefer DF's approach of authored/subjective analysis of the experience plus frame graph data to back it up.

And thats the problem for many, if your into platform warring, you wont like DF since their unbiased. Go to NXgamer or something if you like platform PS etc etc. But DFs view can angle at any.

Curious to see why XSX has advantage in 120fps mode considering system arch is not optimized for low latency and there is split L3 yadda yadda /s

Good comparison, seem close enough to be pretty much identical.
In others gameplay (on foot) scenes, PS5 seems to have a slight advantage at 120fps. I think the game seems to be mostly GPU bound, even in some 120fps scenes, notably the driving scene (and having better shadows and vegetation doesn't help the PS5). Overall both versions are very similar but with VRR XSX has (again) a clear advantage anyways at 120fps.

From 11:10 of the video, PS5 can also lead xsx (sometimes about 15fps). How do you DF say PS5 or xsx has performance advantage?
Probably on average. The lower the rendering budget, the more your fps goes down even on smaller spikes. So if you suddenly run 120fps on both and one of them has explosion, fps can tank even if other would tank more if there was similar activity on screen. So, small spikes make big difference at such frame rates.

From 11:10 of the video, PS5 can also lead xsx (sometimes about 15fps). How do you DF say PS5 or xsx has performance advantage?

Because It's not showing the exact same thing on both consoles at the same time so there will be differences. However, when looking at same things the XSX seems to have the edge in frame rate.

Because It's not showing the exact same thing on both consoles at the same time so there will be differences. However, when looking at same things the XSX seems to have the edge in frame rate.
From what I have been seeing, at 60fps with RT on, the XBSX is faster yes likely due to it having more RT cores i.e. 52 vs 36 however if you move to performance mode and 120fps is the target, the PS5 seems to be better than the XBSX in that it can keep 120fps more constant.

The image at the back looks like Assassin's Creed to me. I can't imagine it has anything to do with RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back