Formula 1 - 2020 Season

And Grosjean survives the most spectacular crash in years thanks to the halo

In decades. The more incredible thing is how big the deacceleration must have been. Usually they bounce off the wall or something, taking away some of the impact. But this just went from 200+ to zero in a meter.

Looking at the replays it also looks like it took him a good 10~15 seconds to get out.

Happy to hear he's somewhat okay. Some burns and maybe broken ribs but nothing too bad given the circumstances.

It sounds strange, but it is intended. The monocoque is decoupled from the engine etc. And it is so stable and didn't breake. And the halo seems to help a lot.

Ya the cockpit is a secure structure, but it still takes significant impact to separate it from the chassis. I think it's the only time it has happened this year.

Edit-> Apparently no fractures for Grosjean, just burns to his hands.

Last edited:
A lot probably depends on the angle and inertia as well. Usually cars bounce off the wall and have the side impact structures/wheels take the initial hit. This crash looks like the cockpit went straight through the guardrail with the rest of the car getting caught in the deformed guardrail. There wasn't anywhere for the energy to go so it got ripped off.

incredible, grosjean saved by halo i would say - luckily his haas' wayward wheels didnt hit anyone
great work by fia medical car and marshalls (mostly, not the crazy one crossing the road to get to perez' car)

perez, so heartbreaking. stroll out from mr. torpedo kvyat and perez just blew up

Formula 1: Romain Grosjean's escape leaves sport with soul-searching to do
Grosjean hit the barrier at 137mph and the impact measured a force of 53G. He was in the inferno for nearly 30 seconds before extracting himself and then being helped over the barrier by FIA doctor Ian Roberts, who had just arrived in the medical car, run towards the flames, and helped a marshal set off a fire extinguisher before going to the driver's aid.

The last time an F1 car split in two was at Monaco in 1991. The last time one caught fire in a crash was at Imola in 1989. And you have to go back to the 1970s to find accidents in which cars pierced barriers in such a way. On both occasions, at Watkins Glen in the USA in 1973 and 1974, the drivers, Francois Cevert and Helmut Koinigg, were killed.
On one level, then, this was a very positive day for F1.

As Horner put it: "The car has gone through the barrier. He has survived that impact. The car, the safety cell, the halo, the fireproof overalls, the belts, the Hans system, the extraction, the FIA crew being there within seconds, the guys fearlessly going in to extract him from the car. Of course you're always going to learn but I would say that's the biggest result of the day."
There remain worrying aspects to the accident.

Firstly, the barrier itself, and how the car managed to penetrate it.
"The angle must have been so precise," Wolff said, "like a knife going tough the barrier. I didn't think modern barriers could split like this, and we need to analyse how this could happen."

Was this a failure of the barrier? Was it a function of the design of the front of an F1 car if it hit a barrier in such a way that was previously unknown?

Secondly, what happened to create the fire? The conflagration, though large, does not seem to have been big enough for it to have been the entire 100kg fuel load in the car.
So was it a broken fuel line? Was it a compression of the tank forcing a relatively small amount of fuel out of the filler?

And wrapped up in the issue of the fire is why the car came apart in the way it did. As Wolff said: "The car breaking shouldn't happen - the rear should break off with the engine and not the engine staying on the chassis."
Formula 1: Romain Grosjean's escape leaves sport with soul-searching to do - BBC Sport

It sounds strange, but it is intended. The monocoque is decoupled from the engine etc. And it is so stable and didn't breake. And the halo seems to help a lot.

Whilst this is true, it seems that the engine stayed attached to chassisi whereas it's meant to break off with the rear of the car. So whether by sheer luck or something else, it didn't quite work as expected.

Whilst this is true, it seems that the engine stayed attached to chassisi whereas it's meant to break off with the rear of the car. So whether by sheer luck or something else, it didn't quite work as expected.

Wouldn't that depend on the impact? On a side impact you might want to car to break up, bit this was essentially a frontal impact. I can imagine that is not the type of load the engine is designed to break off the monocoque.

The engine and gearbox are part of the chassis. The nose penetrated the barrier so it might have been the sidepods or something that ripped the back off. It would make sense that didn't take off the engine as I don't think the sidepods etc. Are that strongly connected to the engine.

Also the back of the car looked to be in mostly one piece. Wheels still on etc. If the engine was still attached to the monocoque than what about the gearbox?

No F1 cockpit for Calum Ilott next year (and so better chances for Mick Schumacher), Fittipaldi will replace GRO next weekende, https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/30...ut-grosjeans-substitute-at-sakhir-grand-prix/

GRO about Halo: https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/29...reatest-thing-weve-brought-to-f1-after-crash/

What he said 2017 about Halo: "We don’t need anything. I am against every Halo or Shield or whatever, it is not F1." https://www.racefans.net/2017/07/23/is-halo-really-as-popular-among-the-drivers-as-the-fia-claims/

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55142428

"Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well and the entire team sends him our very best wishes for a swift recovery," a statement said.

Mercedes said Hamilton, 35, was tested three times last week, including on Sunday at the Bahrain International Circuit, and returned a negative result on each occasion.

However, as well as waking with mild symptoms on Monday, he was also informed that a contact "prior to arrival in Bahrain" had tested positive.

And Hulk so: "Hold my beer"

But I don't think, he (Hulk) will replace Hamilton, Esteban Gutiérrez could replace him.

Stoffel Vandoorne is MGP's reserve driver, too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esteban_Gutiérrez#Reserve_and_development_driver_for_Mercedes_(2018–present)

Mazepin for Haas confirmed.

Last edited:
schumacher will join haas surely for 2021.

also it will be very interesting to see what hamiltons replacement will do in the best car. hülkenberg is for me the best choice as he has current f1 experience but who knows

pietro fittipaldi will bring the fittipaldi name back into f1 (he's emerson's grandson) so that will be interesting to see when he replaces grosjean in haas at sakhir

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-statement-covid-19-test-result-lewis-hamilton
The FIA, Formula 1 and Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PCR testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19. In accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared.

The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event.

How many hugs did Lewis give after his victory?

And here the MGP F1 statement, https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2020/2020-sakhir-grand-prix/mercedes-amg-f1-team-announcement/

Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme.

Last edited:
schumacher will join haas surely for 2021.

also it will be very interesting to see what hamiltons replacement will do in the best car. hülkenberg is for me the best choice as he has current f1 experience but who knows

pietro fittipaldi will bring the fittipaldi name back into f1 (he's emerson's grandson) so that will be interesting to see when he replaces grosjean in haas at sakhir

Is there any chance they could put in Russel to see how he does?

Hulkenberg would be my choice too and he's a German as well. It would also be a good way to see how good/bad Bottas really is though chances are he'll start from P1 so that might just save him.

I can't see them putting a reserve driver in as none of them have much experience. But who knows. It's not like Merc needs the points.

may be russell and kubica in at williams? or hülkenberg

who knows, us hopefully soon :)

Back