Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a pretty big res difference between XsX and PS5. I regret buying it on XsX, should have picked it up for PS5. Between losing Halo at launch and the system slightly underperforming compared to PS5 Im not impressed with MS "most powerful console". I won't pick up Cyberpunk until DF gives their analysis.

I'm curious about One X vs Series S...
Same.
And I wonder about Ubisoft's development formula.
Do they expend fewer resources on post-launch management of the 8th gen versions, just because they're not the "Sexy New Things", even though there are many, many more current owners of those platforms available to sell to?

We have second video about valhalla but I'm really interested how consoles stands againt pc gpus (rtx 2060, 2070, 2080, rtx 5700, rtx5700xt) in game without rt

Yes I'm waiting with bated breath for this. It's for certain the consoles will perform better in Valhalla than they did in Watch Dogs.

Thats a pretty big res difference between XsX and PS5. I regret buying it on XsX, should have picked it up for PS5. Between losing Halo at launch and the system slightly underperforming compared to PS5 Im not impressed with MS "most powerful console". I won't pick up Cyberpunk until DF gives their analysis.

But a difference only seen in the worst scenarios, i doubt we could catch those res drops with our own eyes while playing, contrary to FPS drops.

at luanch ps5 will just run ps4 pro versions and xsx will run xox version, nextgen console update early 2021

But a difference only seen in the worst scenarios, i doubt we could catch those res drops with our own eyes while playing, contrary to FPS drops.
Yeah it is not very noticable - they should allow for the same res drops on PS5 so that it adheres as well to 60, like XSX now does. IMO pretty weird for them to enable a new lowest bound DRS res on one platform while the other (PS5) would benefit from it too.

I remember Richard testing the "rising tide lifts all boats" theory wide/slow vs narrow/fast within the same Arch. It didn't reproduce meaningful results. So, Sony's approach either requires lower level access to benefit from, or it means nothing at all (as per the Richard test) and there's something else at play here.

The anomaly is two fold, 1 - PS5 seems to generally keep up and 2- Certain portions of the games make the difference spread even more towards PS5.
The rising tide would explain (2) as games demands varie per scene and could hit the clock advantage. But the baseline where is starting from (1) needs to be explained.

My assumption is that even though the Arch is said to be the same (RDNA2), it must in reality be quite different in other aspects, because 1 - The clock speed can't explain it all, and 2- MS API can't be that bad.

I remember Richard testing the "rising tide lifts all boats" theory wide/slow vs narrow/fast within the same Arch. It didn't reproduce meaningful results. So, Sony's approach either requires lower level access to benefit from, or it means nothing at all (as per the Richard test) and there's something else at play here.

The anomaly is two fold, 1 - PS5 seems to generally keep up and 2- Certain portions of the games make the difference spread even more towards PS5.
The rising tide would explain (2) as games demands varie per scene and could hit the clock advantage. But the baseline where is starting from (1) needs to be explained.

My assumption is that even though the Arch is said to be the same (RDNA2), it must in reality be quite different in other aspects, because 1 - The clock speed can't explain it all, and 2- MS API can't be that bad.
comparison was between two narrow gpus (36cu vs 40cu) not between 36 vs 52, also custom rdna2 could behave slightly different than rdna1

Well ps5 does have more things going for it customizations wise than just higher clocks. But maybe those higher clocks in addition to that other stuff as well as the issues on MSs side of things are all at once contributing to what we are seeing on screen.

I have a feeling we've been over this a few times, Cerny might know a little bit more than DF around what might happen with higher clocks (and that's no dig at DF).

He might but don't you think MS does that too. They do complete SOC game performance simulations since the X1X project according to them which they gave as the reasoning for the great X1X performance. Obviously they applied the same to the XSX design.

They both have their own priorities. Its not a matter of cerny or ms having better or worse engineers
I've noticed it mentioned a couple times. Cerney said it so why don't people believe it, he obviously knows what he's talking about.
When he was specifically talking about how to achieve a specific performance target.

When obviously MS will say that for their performance target their decision was best. Maybe it's also relatively narrow and fast compared to other options they could have gone with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back