Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you did there! :yes: No mention of the XBSS.

Anyway! My new PC cost me $2242 and it still doesn't do RT because I will have my 1080Ti in it. That's really sad!

Pre-dating the current RT capable consoles by almost 4 years probably plays a bit of a factor there! Personally I'm waiting for prices to get back to MSRP before I dive into the next generation. A nice side effect of that will be that the 3070Ti and 3080Ti / larger VRAM versions will hopefully be available by then too. The fact that minus RT my 1070 can still do pretty much everything the next gen can do already at a minimum of 1080p (my current monitors native res) alleviates a lot of the pressure to upgrade for the time being.

Pre-dating the current RT capable consoles by almost 4 years probably plays a bit of a factor there! Personally I'm waiting for prices to get back to MSRP before I dive into the next generation. A nice side effect of that will be that the 3070Ti and 3080Ti / larger VRAM versions will hopefully be available by then too. The fact that minus RT my 1070 can still do pretty much everything the next gen can do already at a minimum of 1080p (my current monitors native res) alleviates a lot of the pressure to upgrade for the time being.
Yeah, I am happy to play without RT in the meantime. I mean I have been playing PC games since 1990 with out RT. Another year or two won't kill me(well unless Covid does).

Even with the (significant) limitations it's easy to underestimate how impressive RT is on xsx or ps5 unless it's right in front of you. Sure, wdl looks noisy on xsx and there's a lot of pop in as things switch to fallback cubemap, but just having all the right colors and surfaces in the right places as you drive past windows and puddles at night at high speed has a tremendous impact vs traditional shadows.

Easily worth 30fps to have real perspective in reflections, and that's one of the least interesting things RT can do.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-assassins-creed-valhalla-patch-104-tested

Assassin's Creed Valhalla patch 1.0.4: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 re-tested
Plus: 4K quality modes and Series S 60fps tested.

Thursday's 1.0.4 patch for Assassin's Creed Valhalla is the first big update for Ubisoft's latest massive open worlder - and a crucial one, delivering a vast array of gameplay improvements and bug fixes, but of course, the Digital Foundry focus is more on technical validation for what has been the most contentious of the next generation launch line-up. For all of its spec advantages, Xbox Series X ran with a performance penalty against PlayStation 5, while Xbox Series S launched without the signature next-gen 60fps support. The 1.0.4 patch aims to address of all of this - and indeed, it does - and also adds a 4K30 quality mode too.

First of all though, we need to tackle an interesting wrinkle that has emerged from the arrival of the new patch. While there's broad consensus that the performance situation is much improved on Xbox Series X, another narrative has emerged suggesting that the PlayStation 5 version now runs worse than it did. To clear this one up straight away, we could only find one example of this actually being the case - the introductory cutscene takes an occasional, small drop to frame-rate we didn't see in our first test. In every other stress test we have, PlayStation 5 runs at the same frame-rate with the same dynamic resolution result as it did previously.

Where there has been change is with Xbox Series X, where Ubisoft has made great strides in addressing the performance deficit, significantly reducing the intrusive screen-tearing. It's not completely gone, but it's certainly hugely improved and in the most stringent of our stress tests, Xbox Series X can now outperform PlayStation 5. How Ubisoft has achieved such a huge turnaround in so short a time may sound like a technological miracle, or the result of some gigantic optimisation push, but the solution is simpler than you might think.

Overall, there's progress here, and it'll be fascinating to see where Ubisoft goes next with further optimisations - but we'd also like to see further bug fixes: the camera stutter issue that affected Xbox Series X still hasn't been addressed.

another narrative has emerged suggesting that the PlayStation 5 version now runs worse than it did. To clear this one up straight away, we could only find one example of this actually being the case - the introductory cutscene takes an occasional, small drop to frame-rate we didn't see in our first test. In every other stress test we have, PlayStation 5 runs at the same frame-rate with the same dynamic resolution result as it did previously.

in the most stringent of our stress tests, Xbox Series X can now outperform PlayStation 5.

Intresting. It seems that optimisation is a thing afterall, and the PS5 did actually not decrease in performance after the patch. The XSX is showing slowly its advantage in power, even if slightly so far. It becomes more and more clear that the PS5 has its advantages early on, while further on in the gen, XSX will take the lead.
Cant stress it enough, its the exclusives Xbox is missing out on, there MS needs to improve things as Sony is pulling miles ahead already in that department, even if most of it is cross gen (PS4/PS5).

Intresting. It seems that optimisation is a thing afterall, and the PS5 did actually not decrease in performance after the patch. The XSX is showing slowly its advantage in power, even if slightly so far. It becomes more and more clear that the PS5 has its advantages early on, while further on in the gen, XSX will take the lead.
Cant stress it enough, its the exclusives Xbox is missing out on, there MS needs to improve things as Sony is pulling miles ahead already in that department, even if most of it is cross gen (PS4/PS5).
what advantage in power ;d did you watch video ? they changed lowest resolution from 2560x1440p to 2112x1188 on xsx (1440p has 46% more pixels), on ps5 they didn't change much as already game was running quite smoothly

Last edited:

The next sentence after the one you quoted is the hook to make you click the video :LOL:

Not exactly PS5 resolution is above Xbox Series X resolution maybe the next patch will drop the minimum resolution on PS5 for DRS.

We have second video about valhalla but I'm really interested how consoles stands againt pc gpus (rtx 2060, 2070, 2080, rtx 5700, rtx5700xt) in game without rt

I would like to know how 5700 xt with 3600 for example compares to the consoles. I remember Alex has a reference pc with 2600 gpu? Will we see such comparisons in the future? Or maybe it is already done? Thanks...

Ah didnt catch the rather large resolution drop for xsx. Thats a strange way of optimizing indeed, couldve aswell drop some settings for even more performance :p

Reactions: snc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back