Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you get the luminance lower than OLED part? The HDTV test claims similar brightness, which granted would be a pretty big drop for Samsung.

I haven't seen that video in a while, but I could swear he said at some point that the Q90 gets lower brightness than the C9 at times.
Regardless, the QLED's brightness advantage is negated in game mode, and not using game mode brings more problems than just latency IIRC.

SOOOOOO I kinda want a CX and I’m blaming all of you guys if I get dumped. That’s all.
Humm.... the next-gen C1 might be coming within a handful of months, probably announced at CES and released in March or April.

Waiting sucks(/blows), but with LG releasing new TVs with HDMI 2.1 sources finally on the market, they're more likely to solve all the little problems the others had like 40Gbps bandwidth, VRR Gamma and some small eARC issues.

Humm.... the next-gen C1 might be coming within a handful of months, probably announced at CES and released in March or April.

Waiting sucks(/blows), but with LG releasing new TVs with HDMI 2.1 sources finally on the market, they're more likely to solve all the little problems the others had like 40Gbps bandwidth, VRR Gamma and some small eARC issues.

I’m not in a huge rush really, but I’m always waiting for the next best thing so at some point I’ll have to decide. I was hoping we’d be with MicroLED next year but I don’t see that happening.

I’m not in a huge rush really, but I’m always waiting for the next best thing so at some point I’ll have to decide. I was hoping we’d be with MicroLED next year but I don’t see that happening.

The thing with microled is we don't know if it will have the same luminance latency issues as the current FALD models. Isn't it just a back panel of lighting LEDs with higher density, in practice?

But no Dolby Vision because they refuse to pay the licensing.

We just need a newer standard ...

https://xkcd.com/927/

standards.png

We just need a newer standard ...

https://xkcd.com/927/

standards.png

Well there is, HDR10+, that Samsung has pushed.

I'm not on 4K yet but it sounds like for UHD BD releases as well as streaming, DV is a lot more common.

I remember one of the discussions when HDR+ first came out was that the UHD BD discs can't hold both DV and HDR10+ encodes of a movie. So the market was going to have to choose..

Samsung moves a huge volume of TVs so maybe HDR+ still has a chance.

I don't know if all streamers offer both grading options or if people with Samsung TVs are mostly watching HDR10 while others are getting DV.

Somewhere I had seen an HDMI device from the makers of HDFury that looked to be able to translate between DolbyVision and HDR10. Of course I hadn't dug into it, so I could be misunderstanding the purpose of it. Let me find a link to share.

It's part of Vertex2, DIVA, and Maestro products. Though the products seem to be 18 GBP signals. So it likely won't work with games running at high frame rates.

Here's a link to where they detail some of it @ https://hdfury.com/enjoy-dynamic-dv-content-from-lldv-source-on-any-hdr10-display/

Add DV support to any HDR10 display from any DV/LLDV capable source is now a reality! Boost your HDR10 display capabilities with a stunning new method that started a growing hype on the major AV forums out there with more than 200K+ views on AVforums and AVSforum

That so called “hack” or “trick” is basically enabling any HDR10 display to render dynamic DV content from any LLDV capable source. Result is the greatest boost in picture quality that one can get for the money.

They include the following video titled "Dolby Vision on Everything?"

DV is a manual process, or at least it was initially. They have the colorists who check for color on masters do the DV grading.

Maybe that's no longer the case.

But a movie with DV is suppose to also have HDR10 as a backup if you have it on a display which doesn't support DV.

I think HDR+ was suppose to be a more automated process, so you'd think it would have good adoption.

There seems to be stuttering issues with LG Oled and 4K@120 Hz VRR / GSync modes, but they have a beta firmware for it.

BB has the CX and the Sony A8H on sale right now. In the Bay Area, the CX is sold out, though I would guess they will get more in a couple of weeks.

Rtings and Vincent Teoh both said Sony is better for video content both SDR and HDR, while the CX is better for gaming with the 13 vs. 18 ms input lag.

Of course the Sony doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but turns out PS5 tops out at 32 Gbps while the Series X is at 40 Mbps. In either case, not clear now much 120Hz content there will be this generation.

I watch TV more than I game so I'm kind of leaning towards the Sony, which is actually $50 less for the 65-inch model.

Not having HDMI 2.1 would suck but there are no AVRs right now with good 2.1 implementations. In fact they may have to swap those boards because of a bug.

Or I could wait, because I don't really have 4K content that I'm dying to see yet. I would feel different if I can get a PS5 but that seems uncertain now.

We explain & demonstrate all the video settings on the Sony PS5 (Playstation 5) using an LG CX OLED TV, including [4K Video Transfer Rate], [Adjust HDR], [Deep Colour Output] and [RGB Range] "Automatic" vs "Limited" vs "Full", as well as suggest our recommended best settings.​

We explain & demonstrate all the video settings on the Sony PS5 (Playstation 5) using an LG CX OLED TV, including [4K Video Transfer Rate], [Adjust HDR], [Deep Colour Output] and [RGB Range] "Automatic" vs "Limited" vs "Full", as well as suggest our recommended best settings.​

He recommends black levels on auto to work properly with the console's RGB auto. But there is no such option in the B9 TVs. Its just high and low. So I presume many TV models lack this

I wonder if that sort of thing truly require something unique to the newer XSeries hardware, like why couldn't they backport an "auto" setting to the 9Series?

He recommends black levels on auto to work properly with the console's RGB auto. But there is no such option in the B9 TVs. Its just high and low. So I presume many TV models lack this
This setting has always confused me.
So does Black Level Low equal Limited RGB
High equals Full RGB
????
If Limited is 16-235, isn't the black level higher (16) an Full is 0-255, so,black is lower (0)
So why should I set my LG OLED C9 (no Auto option) to Black Level Low and PS5 to Limited?

High equals Full RGB
????
If Limited is 16-235, isn't the black level higher (16) an Full is 0-255, so,black is lower (0)
So why should I set my LG OLED C9 (no Auto option) to Black Level Low and PS5 to Limited?

Korean brands use this low/high nonsense. Just set Playstation to whatever range you want and TV to whatever setting is right for that range.

High equals Full RGB
????

IIRC it was the opposite, on my Samsung and LG.

So its
Low = 0-255 = full
high = 16-235 = limited

Edit ; I meant the opposite of the 1st half of your post. Yes, the second half of your post is right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back