All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think PS5 will be strong, but Series's will outdo Xbox One with a higher percentage increase in sales.
I'm interested in seeng the split between Series S and Series X. I'm not holding much hope on specific numbers from Microsoft though, although it reveals little to say 35% of nextgen Xboxes sold were Series ?.

I'm interested in seeng the split between Series S and Series X. I'm not holding much hope on specific numbers from Microsoft though, although it reveals little to say 35% of nextgen Xboxes sold were Series ?.

Yeah, that is a very interesting ratio for sure. It gives new light on the how much power/price and whatnot matters that very often is a topic of disagreements :p

PS5 selling more this gen is an incredibly safe bet to make (especially in a country like Spain), however quoting figures that show both selling out their entire inventory and seemingly similar numbers as previous launches is a flawed proof for your statement. The figures only show that both sold everything they got and Sony got more to sell. Basically you can't extrapolate anything from these figures, other than things like supplying enough consoles for a WW launch is very challenging and neither managed to do that.

PS3 selling almost as much as the other Playstations at launch with it's higher launch price would make one think, it would have done a lot better than what it did in the end. Same for the Xbox One vs 360, just an example how supply limited skenario basically means nothing.

The figures to look at going forwards are how the PS5 sell vs PS4 and how Series's will fare against One. Your claim is that those sales ratios will remain the same as how they were past gen. Personally I think PS5 will be strong, but Series's will outdo Xbox One with a higher percentage increase in sales.

I was making a general observation based on prior trending patterns in sales (not simply Spain sales) and similar customer survey patterns when compared PS4/XBO. If Sony and Microsoft are producing / manufacturing consoles at the same levels as the prior generation and supply constraints becoming less of a problem sometime in 2022... so I see nothing really changing in the overall worldwide split. That's not to say in the end that Sony or Microsoft overall PS5/XBSX LTD sales can't be better than the prior, but I believe the split percentage wise isn't going to change that much.

The split was stated in the article.
Microsoft has made a very novel bet in generation, putting on sale at the same time two models of different power and price (500 and 300 euros), which sold 14,100 units in their first week in Spain, of which Xbox Series X sold 10,500 units , completely exhausting their stock, and Xbox Series S 3600 units , leaving some units in stores, which will be increasingly difficult to find as we get into Christmas.

A lot depends on how compelling GamePass is. At the moment for me I wouldn't go without it, but that's just because I'm so far behind on gaming that I have a ton of things to play.

If MS 35 dev teams put so much good content on it that it becomes irresistible, they could make serious inroads. Otherwise I think they can regain a little US marketshare and do better in emerging markets because of the XSS.

I'm interested in the numbers over time, not just for launch. Particularly when both models of Xbox are readily accessible.

Not just that but due to the limited stock available for almost any launch, sales for the first few months generally don't mean much WRT overall generational sales. If that were the case than PS4/XBO should have been much closer and X360 should have stomped all over PS3.

Combined with that, as someone pointed out previously, launch sales will tend to sell to core gamers who will buy anything at any price. Just look at PS3 which basically sold out even at it's high price at launch. However, as we saw over the generation that high price was obviously not representative consumer spending over the generation as it promptly proceeded to undersell for the rest of the first year.

Launch is always interesting, but it's the 1st year mark and 2nd year mark that really give a good indication of what the trends will be like for the rest of the generation.

Regards,
SB

Per Thiago @ ERA

PS5 comes out top in massive month for console sales | UK Monthly Charts
Almost 900,000 games consoles were sold in the UK during November, according to the last GfK market data.

The hardware data is for the four weeks ending November 28th.

In terms of home consoles (not handhelds), it is the eighth biggest month for console sales and the second biggest month for console revenue, behind December 2013, which was when PS4 and Xbox One received big new shipments.

The most successful machine of last month was the newly released PlayStation 5, which means that Nintendo Switch had to settle for second place for only the third time in two years. Even so, it was a big month for Switch, with hardware sales up 96% over the previous four weeks. The console had a very successful Black Friday, and so far this year, Switch hardware sales are up 63.1% year-on-year.

In terms of boxed software, 2.38 million games were sold in the UK last month (October 25th - November 21st). Switch games were the most popular of the month, accounting for nearly 35% of all games sold, followed by PS4.

Nintendo was the top publisher of the month thanks to continued strong sales of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, Minecraft and Super Mario 3D All-Stars. The company held off strong competition from Ubisoft, which saw big sales of Assassin's Creed Valhalla (No.2) and Watch Dogs: Legion (No.5).

The biggest selling new game of the month was Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The Activision shooter sold significantly fewer boxed units than previous games in the franchise, with the vast majority of sales coming via digital download.

The other big new game in the charts is PS4 and PS5 game Spider-Man: Miles Morales. The title reached No.4 and primarily sold on PS5. In fact, it was comfortably the biggest PS5 launch game, ahead of Call of Duty.

TOP 20 software:
1 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
2 Assassin's Creed Valhalla
3 FIFA 21
4 Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
5 Watch Dogs: Legion
6 Animal Crossing: New Horizons
7 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
8 Minecraft (Switch)
9 Super Mario 3D All-Stars
10 Fortnite: The Last Laugh Bundle
11 Ring Fit Adventure
12 Marvel's Avengers
13 Minecraft Dungeons
14 Grand Theft Auto 5
15 Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
16 Demon's Souls
17 Star Wars: Squadrons
18 51 Worldwide Games
19 Just Dance 2021
20 Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

Accessories:
1 DualSense (PS5)
2 Pulse 3D Headset (PS5)
3 DualShock 4 (PS4)
4 Xbox controller Sonic Blue
5 Xbox controller Carbon Black

Not just that but due to the limited stock available for almost any launch, sales for the first few months generally don't mean much WRT overall generational sales. If that were the case than PS4/XBO should have been much closer and X360 should have stomped all over PS3.

Combined with that, as someone pointed out previously, launch sales will tend to sell to core gamers who will buy anything at any price. Just look at PS3 which basically sold out even at it's high price at launch. However, as we saw over the generation that high price was obviously not representative consumer spending over the generation as it promptly proceeded to undersell for the rest of the first year.

Launch is always interesting, but it's the 1st year mark and 2nd year mark that really give a good indication of what the trends will be like for the rest of the generation.

Regards,
SB
Maybe not much of an indicator, but here in the UK this might be interesting (or not!).

The PS5 is seemingly selling 2:1 XSX, in CEX they sell both units (which retail @£450) at different prices - £815 vs £690.

So you have a product which has sold more, has more stock availability (more frequent restocks) and still the demand is higher...or CEX got their figures wrong...

Maybe not much of an indicator, but here in the UK this might be interesting (or not!).

The PS5 is seemingly selling 2:1 XSX, in CEX they sell both units (which retail @£450) at different prices - £815 vs £690.

So you have a product which has sold more, has more stock availability (more frequent restocks) and still the demand is higher...or CEX got their figures wrong...
Demand is 2x, supply is 2x, sell through is 2x.

Both have built seemingly to continue the ratio trend of last gen.

Regards,
SB

After the 1st and 2nd year the trend usually becomes: "just wait until you see what they have at E3 they must be working on their best games ever, just wait!"

But there should be some surprises before that at least

And we tend to forget the old consoles. Sony probably milks ps4 for 3 more years. I really wonder how ps4 has sold this holiday season. Everything is sold out, did ps4 also sell well or are previous gen console sales dwindling away? How many copies of miles morales sold on ps4? Will horizon zero dawn sequel sell well on ps4 or not?

Regards,
SB
Well, here in France the PS5 craze reminds me the Wii craze back then. Maybe more. It's phenomenal. Small anecdote: I have a friend who is a long time Xbox and Halo fan. Obsessed by everything Xbox and Halo. AFAIK he never bought a Playstation in his life and his favorite activity is to invite people and to play Halo MCC in local coop. Well this time he hasn't bought a XSX yet (he could have) and instead bought a PS5. I was shocked when he bragged and showed his PS5 in social media.:yep2:

Well, here in France the PS5 craze reminds me the Wii craze back then. Maybe more. It's phenomenal. Small anecdote: I have a friend who is a long time Xbox and Halo fan. Obsessed by everything Xbox and Halo. AFAIK he never bought a Playstation in his life and his favorite activity is to invite people and to play Halo MCC in local coop. Well this time he hasn't bought a XSX yet (he could have) and instead bought a PS5. I was shocked when he bragged and showed his PS5 in social media.:yep2:

Why because there's no Halo at launch?

Maybe he get XBX when Halo releases for next gen.

I succeed easily to have a PS4 Killzone shadow Fall bundle in august 2013. The PS5 was sold out in 10 minutes. The difference is the fact than the hype goes beyond core gamer. The marketing and using travis scott was on point. Same things with the planning and gives information little by little creating some hype for the product.

Sony said to investor and shareholder they will sold more PS5 than PS4 for the first fiscal year (End of march 2014 and end of march 2021). Sony sold 7.5 million PS4 and ZhugeEX estimate Sony wll sold between 8 million and 10 million PS5.

I think PS5 will be easy to find from summer 2021.

The PS5 had twitter meme about woman offering PS5 to the boyfriend/husband.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back