Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I thought you were a rechargeable batteries man. Couldn't you have taken the batteries from the Elite controller and put them in the Series X controller?

Not rechargable as in AAs. Rechargable as in official Play-and-Charge battery pack that provides 30-40 hours of gameplay. I still wanted to play games, so I had to attach a USB cable to controller to charge while gaming. I just didn't have a long enough USB-C cable to continue playing while charging. So I needed something that was usable for the existing USB cable, which was the Elite V1.

The new Series controller provides USB-C connection.

Amazon product link Original: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B00DBDPOZ4

Not rechargable as in AAs. Rechargable as in official Play-and-Charge battery pack that provides 30-40 hours of gameplay. I still wanted to play games, so I had to attach a USB cable to controller to charge while gaming. I just didn't have a long enough USB-C cable to continue playing while charging. So I needed something that was usable for the existing USB cable, which was the Elite V1.

The new Series controller provides USB-C connection.

Amazon product link Original: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B00DBDPOZ4
This is all well and good but £20 per controller with no dedicated docking station is an absolute rip off.

Why they can’t come up with something like a double battery pack with docking station at ~£30 is beyond me.

Also I’m a bit upset they slightly tweaked the battery cover clips so I can’t use my XBO charger unit. Thanks MS!

Yeah, the tweaked battery cover clip on Series Controller is a real punter.

Way back when in the X360 days I tried other battery packs but none ever lasted as long as the MS PnCharge kits, so I've opted to forgo quantity (2x packs with dock) for quality (2x the hours with wire). At least MS extended the play time with their Xbox One kits compared to X360.

Looking at the third party kits which do provide a nice dock, those tend to have limited play times, some as low as only 10-12 hours. Though some advertise getting 33 hours with 1000 mAh, there's just no way its gonna last long and the review comments indicate so.

Whats odd is the battery capacity, the MS is supposedly at 1400 mAh but they hold a charge longer than others rated at the same 1400 mAh. Probably comes down to lithium-ion vs nimh.

HyperX @ 1400 mAh https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Charg...rollers/dp/B07WDDR8HB/ref=zg_bs_6469272011_13
Fosman @ 1000 mAh https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Contr...argeable/dp/B01CDCG4KM/ref=zg_bs_6469272011_2
PowerA @ 1100 mAh https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Dual-...p-B08J8458GS/dp/B08J8458GS/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

Way back when in the X360 days I tried other battery packs but none ever lasted as long as the MS PnCharge kits, so I've opted to forgo quantity (2x packs with dock) for quality (2x the hours with wire). At least MS extended the play time with their Xbox One kits compared to X360.

Looking at the third party kits which do provide a nice dock, those tend to have limited play times, some as low as only 10-12 hours. Though some advertise getting 33 hours with 1000 mAh, there's just no way its gonna last long and the review comments indicate so.

Whats odd is the battery capacity, the MS is supposedly at 1400 mAh but they hold a charge longer than others rated at the same 1400 mAh. Probably comes down to lithium-ion vs nimh.

HyperX @ 1400 mAh https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Charg...rollers/dp/B07WDDR8HB/ref=zg_bs_6469272011_13
Fosman @ 1000 mAh https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Contr...argeable/dp/B01CDCG4KM/ref=zg_bs_6469272011_2
PowerA @ 1100 mAh https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Dual-...p-B08J8458GS/dp/B08J8458GS/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

Yeah, none of the chargers I've ever used for Xbox have been amazing (currently using the power a one you link to)...seems a gap in the market to me. I just don't like faffing with wires, 10 hours is fine with me I just find they are often a bit sensitive and batteries get shorter life quite quickly.

Yeah, none of the chargers I've ever used for Xbox have been amazing...seems a gap in the market to me. I just don't like faffing with wires, 10 hours is fine with me I just find they are often a bit sensitive and batteries get shorter life quite quickly.

Yeah, for the most part I too hate the wire, or rather the housekeeping with it of having to unravel and ravel after use or even just having something sitting there with only one end plugged in 99% of the time. Also having the wire dangle to the controller and getting tangled in my feet when I get up. Its why for the most part I'll plug the controller in once a week when I'm done playing whether it needs it or not. Nice and out of the way and using the wire when its still wound up.

I guess the third parties would rather sell more of the lower quality batteries than a higher quality, profits likely not being as great for lithium-ion packs.

I can live with charger and "limited" battery time. The game I play the most I shut down rumble out of principle so that also means longer playtime. I rarely run into low battery time. Mostly that happens if the accu didn't refill because of bad contact or it's dying.

I can live with charger and "limited" battery time. The game I play the most I shut down rumble out of principle so that also means longer playtime. I rarely run into low battery time. Mostly that happens if the accu didn't refill because of bad contact or it's dying.
I just keep a 20 pack of batteries in a drawer next to me when I'm playing and swap them out every couple weeks. :)
Just get a 4-pack (per controller) of Eneloops and a charger for them. If there's IKEA in your country their LADDAs are same as Eneloops or Eneloop Pros, can't remember which.

I just keep a 20 pack of batteries in a drawer next to me when I'm playing and swap them out every couple weeks. :)
Love the environment ! :)
And my kids nick the batts.

Just get a 4-pack (per controller) of Eneloops and a charger for them. If there's IKEA in your country their LADDAs are same as Eneloops or Eneloop Pros, can't remember which.
Getting my kids to stick a controller on a dedicated charger is hard enough as it is! Lol

Finally got my Series X yesterday!

Dude, Quick Resume is soooo nice. It's cool to switch between all your games and pick up right where you left off. I turned it on today to play some GTA IV, and it literally loaded me right back into the game. I wasn't expecting that. The form factor of the console is actually quite smaller in person. And it's also really silent. MS engineered an amazing console.

I'm totally convinced most third party vendors lie about their capacities. Maybe not outright lie, but perhaps 1400mAh under the best conditions vs 1400mAh under typical contions.

Getting my kids to stick a controller on a dedicated charger is hard enough as it is! Lol
Half of the reason I have a charger is to have a place for my controller to go. If it isn't there, I can yell at the kids.

Dude, Quick Resume is soooo nice. It's cool to switch between all your games and pick up right where you left off. I turned it on today to play some GTA IV, and it literally loaded me right back into the game. I wasn't expecting that. The form factor of the console is actually quite smaller in person. And it's also really silent. MS engineered an amazing console.
How is the GTA 4 running on the SX? You game me an excellent idea! that was my favorite GTA for its physics...

How is the GTA 4 running on the SX? You game me an excellent idea! that was my favorite GTA for its physics...
Runs at a smooth 60FPS now. And according to VGTech's and DF's analysis, it's a locked 60. To this day, I still create new game profiles for GTA 4/TBoGT/TLAD. I honestly don't care about the weighty driving/controls. The characters more than make up for it.

Still rocking this old Western Digital HDD that I pulled out my laptop as an external for the SX. Gonna buy that external Samsung SSD in the future.

Quick resume is great.
When supported, you are in the game almost immediately. That is why it is a little disappointing when titles don't support it properly. Watch Dogs: Legion is especially annoying, I've lost some progress when I expected to Quick Resume the game.
Dark Souls Remastered also requires the game to be connected to their servers, but at least the game seem to save your progress before throwing you back to title screen.

As long as I don't rely on Quick Resume as a sort of save point (which is bad idea anyway), it works fine, though.

When supported, you are in the game almost immediately. That is why it is a little disappointing when titles don't support it properly. Watch Dogs: Legion is especially annoying, I've lost some progress when I expected to Quick Resume the game.
Is there no UI indicator of which games work (or don't work) with QuickResume ?

Quick resume is great.
Dark Souls Remastered also requires the game to be connected to their servers, but at least the game seem to save your progress before throwing you back to title screen.

As long as I don't rely on Quick Resume as a sort of save point (which is bad idea anyway), it works fine, though.

Nope, this is a big bug bear with me. Also sometimes it works and other times not...but hit and miss.

All Xbox games are supposed to work with it, but due to some bugs on very limited set of games it has been disabled for those titles only. I have not seen a definitive list of games where it does not work.

The one game I know where it does not work is Gears 5. It works perfectly on Gears 4. I strongly suspect its because Gears 5 doesn't deal so nicely with losing network connectivity -- about a month ago on the One X I was playing Gears 5, then suspended the console to eat dinner and when I resumed the console I was back in Gears 5 but it was throwing fits about network connectivity being lost and never recovered so I had to quit the game and restart it.

It has been extremely consistent and always works if you understand what triggers it. If you Quit a game through the menu system it does not generate a quick resume state. I used to always do that on the One X before I shutdown, so I've had to break that habit. Quick Resume does not trigger for applications because its just as quick to relaunch them. I have a very consistent last 4 games played in quick resume states.

If you're discussing Sony PS5 Quick Resume, you're all in the wrong thread! ;-)

It's not that as much as it is...

I'm totally convinced most third party vendors lie about their capacities. Maybe not outright lie, but perhaps 1400mAh under the best conditions vs 1400mAh under typical contions.

Half of the reason I have a charger is to have a place for my controller to go. If it isn't there, I can yell at the kids.

Well, almost this. Some may outright lie, but quality control isn't great even at the ones that don't lie. Many Chinese manufactured rechargeable batteries have huge variance as to whether the battery you receive delivers on the claims or not. Now that Amazon Basics have switched from Sanyo/Panasonic (makers of Eneloop) sourced rechargeable to Chinese manufactured rechargeables, their max held charge as well as recharge cycles have become much more variable and not remotely as consistent as they once were. Enough that I no longer buy them.

If you look at reviews for some of the better Chinese manufactered brands, you'll see huge variance when people test their ability to hold a charge. In most cases they come close to the claimed mAH, but in some cases (generally 10-25% of the time) the batteries will only get about 1/3-2/3 of the claimed mAH.

3rd party battery packs likely go with cheaper Chinese made rechargeable battery packs with less time (and money) spent on quality control.

If MS sources from a Chinese maker, they are likely also paying more for QC in order to ensure consistent performance from the battery that meets the specs that MS require.

Regards,
SB

Quick resume is great.

You can't expect this to work with these online open world games. Sessions simply time out.

You can't expect this to work with these online open world games. Sessions simply time out.

Is this going to be a problem for Quick Resume going forward then because more and more single player experiences seem to have some kind of online connectivity. AC Valhalla does although it doesn't appear to be persistent. I wonder what Watch Dogs is doing differently? I recall the first two games included a mode to allow others to drop into your single player experience, and for you to drop into theirs but as I recall it was entirely optional.

You can understand Destiny 2 not working with it, but why not NBA 2K21? I am not liking this online direction for single player games, particularly if it's breaking core console features intended to improve the user's experience.

Back