Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it seemed that the resolution of window reflections was lower on PS5. That banner text and all that.

Y98FGpn.png

Reflections look bad in the distance. It looks so fake. That make the overall effect underwhelming compared to Spiderman's reflections.

To me it seemed that the resolution of window reflections was lower on PS5. That banner text and all that.

Y98FGpn.png

It does seem sharper on the XSX side, but that could be down to either the source, intermediate, or Youtube compressions. If you look at the reflected road signs on the PS5 side, I think there are signs of compression artefacts more affecting the PS5 side.

Looking at high contrast edges like the lamp, they seem to be the same resolution. There's always a chance that XSX is running some kind of additional filter I suppose, but video compression is the most likely candidate IMO.

The real powerhouse RT game has yet to show on the consoles :) CP2077 might be the first game that delivers that next gen leap, open world game also. Doubt it will but we can hope.

I don't know quite how DF would manage this, but I'd quite like them to give an acceptable size/distance rating for lower resolution modes (S and the likes of DMC 1080p mode).

Awesome DF Article as usual is up @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tch-dogs-legion-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-series-s

Watch Dogs: Legion - essentially identical on PS5 and Xbox Series X
While Series S sees hardware ray tracing effects for the first time.

Featuring a beautifully rendered open world recreating one of the world's most iconic cities, while leaning heavily into hardware accelerated ray tracing, Watch Dogs: Legion is one of the most technically ambitious games for the current cross generation period. The cross-platform comparison between the next generation machines isn't the most interesting head-to-head we've seen so far - PS5 and Xbox Series X are very, very close - but it's great to see ray traced reflections appear on Xbox Series S. Yes, we're getting hardware RT on a £250/$250 console.

But to address the most burning question, I can confirm right away that Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 do indeed run with practically identical visual settings - an almost complete match for the details locked away in the PC version's configuration files (which don't just include PC settings, but every single version). This is most readily evident in side-by-side ray tracing comparisons - the RT effect is identical, but crucially, the cut-off for objects not in the reflection is also the same, meaning matched fidelity in the effect itself, but also identical compromises and optimisations.

Series S also has the same settings for its ray traced reflections, but with one crucial difference. The premium consoles target a dynamic 4K rendering resolution for the majority of the presentation, but reflections run at checkerboarded 1080p instead. For Series S with its much lower 1080p target pixel-count, RT reflection resolution drops in step - reflections here are rendered internally at 720p instead, with the same reconstruction technique.

I think DF just did straight conversion, so not quite right, but ... If you use Xbox All Access program, then its $250 or $240 for the console. Otherwise its $300. @AzBat had a post somewhere showing the discounts.

Claims are all over the place as some say their PS5 wasn't dropping from 60 to 40 in performance mode for AC:V. Meanwhile plenty say less to nearly no tearing on SeriesX. What a mess. :no:

I think DF just did straight conversion, so not quite right, but ... If you use Xbox All Access program, then its $250 or $240 for the console. Otherwise its $300. @AzBat had a post somewhere showing the discounts.

Ah. I had completely forgotten about All Access.
I wrote it off when I first heard about it. When I worked for a cellular company in the 90s, our whole reason for getting people on a "payment plan" was to make them end up paying more, not less. (And suing them for trying to terminate the contract early, which happened a lot)

Ah. I had completely forgotten about All Access.
I wrote it off when I first heard about it. When I worked for a cellular company in the 90s, our whole reason for getting people on a "payment plan" was to make them end up paying more, not less. (And suing them for trying to terminate the contract early, which happened a lot)
All Access is crazy, because it's like a rent to own model with a negative interest rate. You get your hardware today, and make payments, and it's less than retail. You just have to subscribe to a service that you probably already were going to.

The real powerhouse RT game has yet to show on the consoles :) CP2077 might be the first game that delivers that next gen leap, open world game also. Doubt it will but we can hope.
How can it deliver a next gen leap when it's a current gen game. Judging by CDPR's history, they usually have about a year between initial release and the "enhanced edition". I'm doubtful we get a real next gen patch for a year. Sure, there will be a few updates that add some flair here and there, but I would expect an enhanced edition type update in late 2021 or 2022.

Claims are all over the place as some say their PS5 wasn't dropping from 60 to 40 in performance mode for AC:V. Meanwhile plenty say less to nearly no tearing on SeriesX. What a mess. :no:

This is why you should never rush updates unless it fixes a critical issue.
With all the coverage this little oopsie is getting I'm sure Ubisoft will have another patch out pretty soon.

I've put in a solid 8 hours after the update and I've not noticed any difference at all. Haven't tried the quality mode though, just performance.

If you eliminate screen tearing by holding for the next full frame, and don't have triple buffering (or whatever extra buffers are needed at whatever stages) you're going to hit a point where frame rate drops.

This has apparently seen frame rates drop into the 40s on PS5 and even to straight 30 fps mode on XSX. There hasn't been enough time to do a lot more optimisation work, so this is what you get - fiddling in the margins balancing one thing you don't want against another.

The tech press complaining about tearing and then complaining about the fix is the most tech press thing ever. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back