Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Some of PS5s some of the time, sure. But it does not appear widespread in the same way Miles Morales hard crashing PS5 is. Illogically, PS5 should both be more susceptible and less susceptible because of the variable clocks. More variability will reduce causes of coil whine.
Some level of vibration is inherent to the PSU, although that may not count unless it resonates at a certain range of frequencies people consider annoying. There can be variability in perception or the effects of hearing loss at higher frequencies that can lead to some users not noticing it as much.
Would variable frequencies make it more difficult to pick a band of frequencies that the design could ensure the PSU components wouldn't resonate at? I thought the general solution for preventing whine would be to encase or coat the coils, which may be a cost-saving measure or design impracticality leading to it being more frequently noticed with the PS5.

I wonder if the specifics of user setups like line noise or other appliances on the same line could affect the noise from the PSU. That would require moving the PS5 to different locations, buildings, line conditioners, surge protectors, etc.

The fan sticker issue seems like a production process flaw, perhaps due to automation or manual laborers under time pressure?

Seems Sony didn't learn from PS4 and PS4 pro with the different audio profile of their fan suppliers...
Perhaps a compromise for production volume, cost, or logistics if the PS5 is being made in more than one factory? I'm not sure how spread out production is.

Some level of vibration is inherent to the PSU, although that may not count unless it resonates at a certain range of frequencies people consider annoying. There can be variability in perception or the effects of hearing loss at higher frequencies that can lead to some users not noticing it as much.
Would variable frequencies make it more difficult to pick a band of frequencies that the design could ensure the PSU components wouldn't resonate at? I thought the general solution for preventing whine would be to encase or coat the coils, which may be a cost-saving measure or design impracticality leading to it being more frequently noticed with the PS5.

I wonder if the specifics of user setups like line noise or other appliances on the same line could affect the noise from the PSU. That would require moving the PS5 to different locations, buildings, line conditioners, surge protectors, etc.

The fan sticker issue seems like a production process flaw, perhaps due to automation or manual laborers under time pressure?

Perhaps a compromise for production volume, cost, or logistics if the PS5 is being made in more than one factory? I'm not sure how spread out production is.

yeah multiple suppliers are understandable, what baffles me is that Sony didn't tighten their grip/requirements/standard to the suppliers strong enough. Although it seems the noise between suppliers in PS5 is not as bad as PS4/Pro. dunno due to better quality requirement or because it spins slower than PS4/Pro or both.

All these reports of noise makes me happy I have it stuck in a cabinet- now the only noise is the humming of the cabinet fans!

Talking of the way Sony have the game cards/instant ‘jump to’ points - it made getting the Astro plat really pleasurable- being able to instantly jump in and out of levels in a couple seconds was soooo nice.

Please elaborate, because I have never seen such behavior. And the mods are more than welcome to move the original post to a more appropriate area or thread.

In 2018, he made 2014-2015 "gamer-gate" about him in a series of tweets ; he always dissing "youtubers" for being basically a nuisance to "true journalist" like him, but only if they disagree with him (see the yongyea itw); when some other journalists reports things that he disagrese with, he trashs the peoples involved but not the facts reported (like the cdpr overtime story where he but heads with other devs and one other journalist who said that most of the people they itw'ed were fine with the overtime, that they were proud of producing a great game, etc); I won't even touch the "oh you disagree with me so you're anti semite" card he pulls from time to time... And on the subject their was a funny dance with some naughty dog peoples when the games come out, just because a critic compared tlou2 to the schindler list (vs other games that are like avengers or something, i forgot the true comparaison). He always find a way to be pissed of about something, pausing as a victim, and to make it personal imo...

Anyway, sorry If I came out too strong when I quoted you, it was not against you directly.

In 2018, he made 2014-2015 "gamer-gate" about him in a series of tweets ; he always dissing "youtubers" for being basically a nuisance to "true journalist" like him, but only if they disagree with him (see the yongyea itw); when some other journalists reports things that he disagrese with, he trashs the peoples involved but not the facts reported (like the cdpr overtime story where he but heads with other devs and one other journalist who said that most of the people they itw'ed were fine with the overtime, that they were proud of producing a great game, etc); I won't even touch the "oh you disagree with me so you're anti semite" card he pulls from time to time... And on the subject their was a funny dance with some naughty dog peoples when the games come out, just because a critic compared tlou2 to the schindler list (vs other games that are like avengers or something, i forgot the true comparaison). He always find a way to be pissed of about something, pausing as a victim, and to make it personal imo...

Anyway, sorry If I came out too strong when I quoted you, it was not against you directly.

Most of the stuff you mentioned JS was right about, especially the situation dealing with CDPR and crunch... and the CEO lying about it (then later apologizing about it). Anyhow rubbing people the wrong way and/or disagreeing with them doesn't make them a drama queen. If anything, JS has built up a reputation with developers on shedding light on issues that are happening in the development community. The only people that disagree or hate his methods are those developers trying to hide issues (then get caught), and those gamers shilling for their favorite developer/IP.

Most of the stuff you mentioned JS was right about, especially the situation dealing with CDPR and crunch... and the CEO lying about it (then later apologizing about it). Anyhow rubbing people the wrong way and/or disagreeing with them doesn't make them a drama queen. If anything, JS has built up a reputation with developers on shedding light on issues that are happening in the development community. The only people that disagree or hate his methods are those developers trying to hide issues (then get caught), and those gamers shilling for their favorite developer/IP.

No, it's not black or white, even with cpr. What JS do and how he does it resonate with you, it's fine, but it doesn't with others, and not only "gamers shilling for their favorite dev".

yeah multiple suppliers are understandable, what baffles me is that Sony didn't tighten their grip/requirements/standard to the suppliers strong enough. Although it seems the noise between suppliers in PS5 is not as bad as PS4/Pro. dunno due to better quality requirement or because it spins slower than PS4/Pro or both.

Let's talk about PS5 again. Is it possible that even the "worst" fan is in fact within spec, and that actually the most silent one is the outlier ? In all cases, I think everyone coming from ps4 pro will be happy with PS5 noise level :D Even if, maybe we have to wait for "true" next gen games to push the hardware/cooling solution...

No, it's not black or white, even with cpr. What JS do and how he does it resonate with you, it's fine, but it doesn't with others, and not only "gamers shilling for their favorite dev".

Let's talk about PS5 again. Is it possible that even the "worst" fan is in fact within spec, and that actually the most silent one is the outlier ? In all cases, I think everyone coming from ps4 pro will be happy with PS5 noise level :D Even if, maybe we have to wait for "true" next gen games to push the hardware/cooling solution...

They said in the article the worst fan is better than PS4 og too.

Ahh.. maybe it's worth another look because the gameplay just did not seem varied.

Maybe, maybe not. I've done a decent amount of exploring and, after a fair few unlocks, the combat just doesn't really seem to have opened up much. The platforming has done so by a reasonable amount, but the combat is still lacklustre. For generic baddies, it's fine, it's perfunctory, but it makes the boss fights more frustrating than challenging.

I've got a few days off coming up, and since the nursing home I work at has a resident with covid, I won't be able to do much more than stay home, so I'll probably play a bunch more then. I've also quite seriously hurt my back caring for him - he has advanced dementia and, in between coughing and spluttering, keeps fighting me whilst I try to clean the liquid shit from his arse every couple of hours - so sitting around is about the only thing I can hope to do anyway.

I suppose what I'm saying is: don't ever try to give back to society. Oh, and Hollow Knight may well not have very varied gameplay in the long run.

I'm hopelessly hooked on Assassin's Creed Valhalla. They have fixed all of the RPG-ified stuff I disliked in Odyssey; arbitrary level numbers have mostly gone, an option for one-hit assassinations is present returned, grinding materials for gear upgrades is massively reduced and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

That's huge for me. I played a chunk of Odyssey but swore off the series when I stabbed a soldier in their jugular, and they shook it off because I hadn't climbed enough Eagle Sync points and collected enough feathers (or whatever their equivalent was in Odyssey... houmous? Shards of broken plates?)

I managed to get a PS5! Its a big boy but dead silent! Astro Bot game with dualsense was an eyeopener. I still have my doubts regarding how far multiplats will implement the features but looking forward to it now

The one things that really bugs me though is how poor the PS store is, yes its fast as lightning but terrible UI in terms of finding what you need

now i just need to play some games

The one things that really bugs me though is how poor the PS store is, yes its fast as lightning but terrible UI in terms of finding what you need
I must say, I don't think anyone will disagree with that. I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but surely Sony can just copy&paste whatever Apple (or anyone who does this stuff properly) and go with it? I just went on the psn store, logged on as me, on my laptop for example, and it's like the bloody thing doesn't even know it's a psn store.

You buy Miles on PS5, pn the store on your PS5, and the PS4 version downloads together with your PS5 version? What? Why would I ever want the PS4 version on my PS5, especially considering SSD space is already in short supply as it is?

All over the place.

I need a bit of help. I am installing the new COD from disc but it's saying the campaign is not installed and I can't seem to find a way to install it. Am I missing something or is the campaign not on the disc?

I must say, I don't think anyone will disagree with that. I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but surely Sony can just copy&paste whatever Apple (or anyone who does this stuff properly) and go with it? I just went on the psn store, logged on as me, on my laptop for example, and it's like the bloody thing doesn't even know it's a psn store.

You buy Miles on PS5, pn the store on your PS5, and the PS4 version downloads together with your PS5 version? What? Why would I ever want the PS4 version on my PS5, especially considering SSD space is already in short supply as it is?

All over the place.

The same thing happened to me when I downloaded No Man's Sky and purchased WRC 9. For whatever reason it downloads both the PS4 and PS5 versions. You can't tell which of the downloads is which until they're down, so I just delete the PS4 versions upon completion.

The same thing happened to me when I downloaded No Man's Sky and purchased WRC 9. For whatever reason it downloads both the PS4 and PS5 versions. You can't tell which of the downloads is which until they're down, so I just delete the PS4 versions upon completion.
This is where the external drive comes in handy as you can set it to always install PS4 games onto that, thus they never use and of the precious SSD space. I can tell I'll be counting the MBs every time I install a game. When I downloaded the PS5 versions of Warframe I saw it was 10GB smaller which is nice.

Back