Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think the software issues plaguing the PS5 will be sorted in due time. I am sure Covid contributed significantly to the state of the PS5 OS and the errors. I haven't encountered any issues with mine so far but I have taken all precautions I know of; Haven't plugged in any HDD, full shutdown after every play session, etc. No hardware fault. Silent as a mouse. I love the look of the system funny enough. I never found it ugly as most did. The pad looks beautiful. Making my way through GOW and Astro (lovely little game) in 4k/60. All in all, a good system with a lot of potential for the future.

Every new design introduces new risk of issues. For what it's worth, I have an EU day 1 PS5 and have zero issues and I've put it through a lot. All bullets dodged like my PS3, PSP, PS4, PS Vita and PS4 Pro.
The new fake concerns.

Not had one issue since removing my external USB drive and my son has completed SM:MM, is a significant chunk through Demon Souls and I’ve pretty much rinsed Astro and played a few hours of Borderlands 3 without any issue (touch wood!).

Literally. A few tweets or forum posts out of how many shipped PS5s, 5 million? 7? And now we're talking about dodging bullets? I hate the internet sometimes.

There are always going to be issues, but given these companies release products all the time I'm going to bet they have a pretty good QA system.

But yes, there is always a concern: rushed last minute overclocked, overheating, RDNA 1.1 beta, 9TF... I think in 3-4 months these drama + clickbaiting will go away.

On other news, one PS5 tech lead had some things to say about the full RDNA2 piece by Xbox. Not embedding the tweet to not create more controversy but I really can't wait to learn more about what is PS5 incorporating from RDNA2 and what not. For science.

Well, companies need to market the way they think they'll maximise sales.

How that marketing is then warped, filtered, over analysed and ultimately used to further this 'tribalism' is pretty much the fanboys' fault.

I don't blame MS or Sony for coming out with their "Most this most that" kind of marketing, that is their job. I just don't think they can really be held accountable for the toxicity we see online. Trolls will troll, fanboys will be fanboys.

Well, companies need to market the way they think they'll maximise sales.

How that marketing is then warped, filtered, over analysed and ultimately used to further this 'tribalism' is pretty much the fanboys' fault.

I don't blame MS or Sony for coming out with their "Most this most that" kind of marketing, that is their job. I just don't think they can really be held accountable for the toxicity we see online. Trolls will troll, fanboys will be fanboys.

And then there is people like me who love to be on the other side of the argument. xD

Since figuring out the issue with PS4 games transferred via LAN not working I've not had one problem. The external drive is now packed with PS4 games (all updated), my console is whisper quiet (apart from the very rare spin up), it happily jumps in and out of rest mode. And I've played enough now to require two full controller recharges on both controller (I'm getting ~10 hours from each controller but they do need conditioning).

My only bugbear at the moment is that I need to put the PS4 game disc in to download and install updates... That seem daft to me.

Since figuring out the issue with PS4 games transferred via LAN not working I've not had one problem. The external drive is now packed with PS4 games (all updated), my console is whisper quiet (apart from the very rare spin up), it happily jumps in and out of rest mode. And I've played enough now to require two full controller recharges on both controller (I'm getting ~10 hours from each controller but they do need conditioning).

I'm also getting around ten also out of my DualSense controllers, default haptic/mic/volume settings. And just like the PS4 warning you the DualShock was low on battery, I'm still getting an hour more before the battery finally goes.

My only bugbear at the moment is that I need to put the PS4 game disc in to download and install updates... That seem daft to me.
Is this right? I'm sure I've had PS4 disc games update on my PS5 without having the disc installed.

I'm also getting around ten also out of my DualSense controllers, default haptic/mic/volume settings. And just like the PS4 warning you the DualShock was low on battery, I'm still getting an hour more before the battery finally goes.

Is this right? I'm sure I've had PS4 disc games update on my PS5 without having the disc installed.
Oh I didn't think of that. I need to put in the disc even if I transferred the data from PS4, right?

Oh I didn't think of that. I need to put in the disc even if I transferred the data from PS4, right?

If you only transferred save data, yes, you'll still need to install the game where PS5 has access too. Last week I transferred all my PS4 games onto an external SSD and just moved that over to the PS5 without issue. It's the needs-disc-inserted-in-PS5-to-update bit I'm querying.

I think the last PS4 game disc I bought was Uncharted 4 so I doubt I've missing many updates for such old games.

Back