What music are you listening to right now?

John Prine's "Tree of Forgiveness". His last album that I never really gave enough of a listen to. His last song, "When I Go To Heaven", on it I think he knew would be his last and I've just got it stuck in my head and it's making me smile even with tears coming down my face. Miss him, we lost a lot of good folks this year. :(

Vermilia. I'm not 100% sure if she does everything in studio herself, but that's the impression given. Naturally there's a band to support her on live gigs regardless, but these two are from studio recordings (and covers at that, first is originally a pop song by Jenni Vartiainen, the latter finnish folk song composed for a poem from 1800's)
I like especially how she's gotten her clean and growling vocals fit together so well.

As you know i like songs that are about something songs with a narrative
Steven Wilson - PERSONAL SHOPPER
"The track is a social criticism of consumerism and how we fill our lives with unnecessary goods to feel important, special or loved. But the truth is, the feeling of unhappiness won't go away with the next pair of sick trainers. Those feelings will only go away when we look within, and if we don't... well, then we're going to end up with a lot of stuff around us, but still pretty empty. Luckily the track being 6 minutes gave me the opportunity to develop an interesting narrative. I wanted to create a fictional world in which people buy goods and the transaction would not only be money but also a part of their body, alluding to the concept of the more you look for answers outside, the more you disappear on the inside.” Lucrecia Taormina, Director

The Greatest Show on Earth - NightWish
Inspired by the book The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins
3 points :
1: You'll enjoy it more if you turn on captions
2: This is f**kin epic
3: Dawkins is Metal

The Greatest Show on Earth - NightWish
Inspired by the book The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins
3 points :
1: You'll enjoy it more if you turn on captions
2: This is f**kin epic
3: Dawkins is Metal
Tampere version the day after is better though, even though Dawkins wasn't there personally (to compensate, I was :devilish:).

late edit: also, it's Nightwish, not NightWish :)

Last edited:
Back