Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If VRR gets widespread adoption I wonder if we will get dynamic framerate targets, not in the way we have them now, but for example, in slower, more cinematic sequences the target framerate might be 45-60 fps, but in an intense action moment the target frame rate would increase to 120, with a dip in image quality. If they did it well it would be the best of both worlds, quality when you can slow down and enjoy the view and responsiveness when you need it

I think camera motion in those "cinematic sequences" would look weird. More generally, VRR works better at higher framerates - below 60 it may not be all that effective.

I think that's going a bit far. The available performance of PS5/XSX consoles is, for the visual design goal of many game designers, far beyond what they need to deliver their vision. If you finish your game and find you're only using 60% of RAM/bandwidth/compute/CPU, are you supposed to go back and start jamming more crap into the game? I don't think that's desirable at all. You may have a chunk of capacity left untapped but you're into the realm of diminishing returns ing amping up other effects, which can be disproportionately costly in terms of improving the quality.

In such cases, offering a 120fps mode is very cool. I've only played Dirt 5 in 120fps and while it was a nice experience, I personally find 60fps image quality mode preferable for me.
Haha that’s true. Sorry you’re right I’m being too harsh. Each game will need to do what it projected to be.
But fanboys should pick their battlegrounds better aside from just choosing marginal and largely irrelevant wins.

Well, I disagree. It is an issue. We don't know when they will finally enable VRR (remember the folders on PS4...) and we don't know if the update will retroactively enable VRR in those first games.
Well it is an issue. But only if someone can issue an update that suddenly makes all TV's support VRR as well. Until that happens it's an issue of totally, statistically, insignificant proportions. Unless of course you just need something to faux rage over because it's a slow news day or something.

I'll leave you to explain that to them :LOL:
lol I can't that's why I'm here and not there. They take the Vin Disel method: Winning by an inch or a mile, winning is winning. And if you lose you are granny double clutching.

I would be surprised if DF can lock down why PS5 is dropping. Random drops are the hardest to figure out, I would just blame poor optimization/tools here.

Odd to have it as a downloadable option. Wouldn't the other way around be better for saving storage?
considering how little available room there is and how large COD is; I suppose this is fair. Curious to see results if they can get it to work.

Odd to have it as a downloadable option. Wouldn't the other way around be better for saving storage?
XSS RT optional download is 12.2GB.(edit: just updated with actual figure)

So I think that not only having it as option but also as a selectable download is great.
Only few hours ago I was whinging about lack of options on the XSS.

Missing effects in the XsX version of COD (120 mode)

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 37
The dips certainly look like bugs.
I love how the narrative when PS5 has a bit of an advantage here and there is "This can't be, must be a bug" but when the X is ahead it's like "oMg SuPeRiOriTy MaStErFul RaCe" :runaway:

Maybe because the way it dropped performance wasn't really logical and then there was proof that PS5 did perfectly fine on that scene in other instances.

This game (COD) is another example of higher performance on PS5 in CPU limited scenes (120fps) while actually displaying more effects than the XSX version.
thats sounds more like a sign that the XSX is bottlenecked for 120fps on the GPU side than proving it's a CPU item.

It's complicated. It's an option so users can minimize the storage space. Seems like some difficulty in getting it working etc.

It feels like both Sony and Microsoft need to do a bit more to improve game asset transparency for these cross-generational games. I've read more than a few accounts of people playing the PS4 versions of games on their PS5. :runaway:

Yeah, that would be ideal. Are there any demos of multiplat games which are available on both?

I'd love to compare quality and file sizes.

That said though, do you have any opinion on which console does the better job in this regard?
I haven't done a magnifying glass test; but both at their maximum recording settings do a fairly good job at capturing, seems like very little loss. When you use the 'record last 15 second bit' the bitrate falls off dramatically.

I sort of forget who was asking on this forum:
DF will only release H264 if the movie size is small. Likely going forward, you'll see only HVEC since everything is going 4K HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back