Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I was thinking it could be awsome having Gamer Nexus mod the ps5 for better cooling and what it would look like . That could be a really fun follow up by them.

New Problem is, IF this is because of some too hot memory modules, it's not 100% gua
On the other side of the board though? I dunno how effective that'd be. *shrugs*

I don't recall there being a memory module on the other side of the board.

upload_2020-11-24_13-14-25.png

That's why I commented earlier on "wtf is memory top and memory bot?"

Only way for top to be low on temp while bot to be high on temp would be if their probes are
Top: on top of the memory module
Bot: below the memory module (like between the module and the pcb board).

I'm not sure if anyone measures the temperature between the pcb and the IC, and if ~90 degrees is even a thing to worry about, as the top of the chip is a somewhat okay 70 degrees or so.
I'd think that as long as it doesn't melt the solder it would be fine.

Last edited:
I don't recall there being a memory module on the other side of the board.

View attachment 4994

That's why I commented earlier on "wtf is memory top and memory bot?"

Only way for top to be low on temp while bot to be high on temp would be if their probes are
Top: on top of the memory module
Bot: below the memory module (like between the module and the pcb board).

I'm not sure if anyone measures the temperature between the pcb and the IC, and if ~90 degrees is even a thing to worry about, as the top of the chip is a somewhat okay 70 degrees or so.

WHOA! MIND BLOWN. Yeah indeed! there's no RAM chips on the bottom side. whoa

so the one doing 90c was the PCB.

maybe some hairline cracks starts to happen on some PS5, thus the graphics artifacts?

On xbox 360 you can simply wrap it with towel and let it overheat to fix it. then after a few times fixing using that, you would need to use heatgun. Then a few times after that, need to reball the RAM chips.

Its perplexing to me how you can have such a large console and still have some thermal issues , Hopefully they re visit when the add on ssds are announced and supported. I have a feeling they are going to get cooked in there
Most of the temps may be well in-line with the quasi-appliance aspect of these boxes. Relative to PC, the consoles have tended to err on the side of being warmer if it saved money or reduced noise--mostly saved money.
Aside from the GDDR6 module, some things like taking a long time to cool down after shutdown might be preferable if there's a worry of thermal cycling. Rapid temperature changes can cause additional stress, and if the packaging and design assume a gradual thermal drop they'll likely do better than if they were facing a quick drop to ambient.
I heard a passing comment about the fan not generating enough pressure, although I'll have to rewatch to get full context. Some of the warmer components may not be expecting much airflow from the fan. There are actual instances of foam blocking some paths out of the fan chamber to some of the system recesses, for example.

I can't believe how cool the SOC is running.
They don't have direct measurements of SOC die temps, so there is some uncertainty based on all the other packaging and cooler differences. It could be running cooler assuming nothing's influencing the conductivity down the package stack differently.

Might they have impacted the conductivity of that bottom memory chip by taking apart the machine? Seems odd that the rest are essentially within the expected range with the exception of that one. Everything should be equal among those modules, they've all got the same cooling solutions and similar proximity to the SOC (which anyway runs cooler than that memory module). The placement of that steel plate might have been slightly off effecting the top or bottom memory modules...?
It's possible that something changed with the alignment or thermal pads, coupled with the more varied fasteners and sandwiching of layers with the PS5.
Even if the disassembly didn't introduce thermal problems, I wonder if it's possible they got a bad sample. DRAM running hot isn't necessarily worrisome, but it does seem like that one measurement might be more borderline than it should be if the same box is meant for warmer conditions.

You can transfert a pretty good amount of heat through a pcb if done correctly. Sony has a patent for it btw, but it's not new.
xkhahxsexmu41.jpg

I'm not saying they re using it, but it exists. And the ram chip are flip-chip, no ?
There's not much sign of this being present with what we've seen with the PCB. Relatively thick metal columns and special areas set aside on the bottom of the chip would be indicated by the patent. The PS5's board looks like it could be leaving room for a clamshell memory arrangement for dev kits, which means the areas on the SOC side of the GDDR6 modules have an existing use and existing wiring needs.
Also, the necessary footprint would likely need a custom footprint for the GDDR6 modules, or custom packaging to allow the proper thermal contact. Nobody's pried the GDDR6 off their console, to my knowledge, but a bespoke RAM package and potentially compromised board or package wiring seem unlikely to me.

I thought the probe was touching one of the sides of a RAM module. There is some potential performance loss due to accelerated refresh rates at those temps, which is fine if it's expected but may not be if there's that great a disparity between neighboring chips. Running that close to the upper temp limits could be asking for thermal safeguards tripping in less-ideal but in-spec warm rooms.

Vincent has his video up for best video settings on PS5, demonstrating it on the LG CX.

My B9 doesnt have AUTO though for the Black levels but it recommends AUTO for the console RGB and AUTO for the TV's black level.

maybe some hairline cracks starts to happen on some PS5, thus the graphics artifacts?

On xbox 360 you can simply wrap it with towel and let it overheat to fix it. then after a few times fixing using that, you would need to use heatgun. Then a few times after that, need to reball the RAM chips.

Ya the point was the 90 degree measurement doesn't really have a baseline to compare with.
Most of these measurements are done with either a sensor inside, or taken with a infrared gun or something like that.
We need them to use the same methodology to measure some rig to make this comparison actually meaningful.

Or could be a faulty chip or could be he’s compromised the thermal protection- this seems more likely given it’s one specific chip.

That´s in the dashboard or with a game running?.
Everywhere. It's not dependent on the console running a game or not, so it's not dependent on GPU/CPU clocks, which is why I don't think it's coil whine.

How far away from the console can you hear it?
Due to the high pitch, as long as the room is silent I can hear it from pretty far away. I'm usually sitting 2m away from the console so I can hear it pretty well.

After listening a few times, I also thought of the infamous sticker in the fan.
You could be suffering from a sticker touching the fan

It doesn't sound like a sticker, but thanks to that thread I found another user that has the exact same sound as mine!
His video seems to be significantly better at reproducing the sound as I think his microphones are better than my smartphone's:

(the one in the bottom)

Everywhere. It's not dependent on the console running a game or not, so it's not dependent on GPU/CPU clocks, which is why I don't think it's coil whine.

Due to the high pitch, as long as the room is silent I can hear it from pretty far away. I'm usually sitting 2m away from the console so I can hear it pretty well.

It doesn't sound like a sticker, but thanks to that thread I found another user that has the exact same sound as mine!
His video seems to be significantly better at reproducing the sound as I think his microphones are better than my smartphone's:

(the one in the bottom)
that's what mine sounds like. I think this is the normal ps5 hum. But it's fairly quiet for me, but that is the sound.

Statistically impossible. Most PS5s have perceptible coil whine? Also improbable. Some PS5s have perceptible coil wine? Sure.

Maybe not all the time or not most of the time so some of time?

Maybe not all the time or not most of the time so some of time?
Some of PS5s some of the time, sure. But it does not appear widespread in the same way Miles Morales hard crashing PS5 is. Illogically, PS5 should both be more susceptible and less susceptible because of the variable clocks. More variability will reduce causes of coil whine.

In hindsight, I am glad I dodged a bullet (failed to get a hold of a PS5). A proper revision 2 in 6 months with quality components? Hope so.

In hindsight, I am glad I dodged a bullet (failed to get a hold of a PS5). A proper revision 2 in 6 months with quality components? Hope so.
Every new design introduces new risk of issues. For what it's worth, I have an EU day 1 PS5 and have zero issues and I've put it through a lot. All bullets dodged like my PS3, PSP, PS4, PS Vita and PS4 Pro.

Back