Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And btw 120 FPS is very impressive. I play it in multiplayer and to achieve high FPS on my pc I have to turn off everything at 1080p and I run in 90% res scaling. And even then I have drop to as low as 80 FPS on 1660ti Ryzen 5. Very impressive I have to say.

This is most impressive launch title IMO (apart from exclusives). I always thought COD games are crazy optimized and good looking for what they are shooting for going back from original MW.

Better news for XSX, MS needed this lol

Finally some good news for XSX

They didn’t spot the difference on the muzzle flash on the PS5 having smoke and the Xbox didn’t.

Right now I’m theorizing that besides what I already noted that the PS5 somehow seems to have a slight bandwidth advantage, the Xbox in this game where it pulls ahead, I see a lot of physics objects and am wondering if that is a type of workload that is very suited to the additional CUs?

That’s the only thing that stood out to me in this video when the PS5 fell behind, all those rocks flying around.

They didn’t spot the difference on the muzzle flash on the PS5 having smoke and the Xbox didn’t.

Right now I’m theorizing that besides what I already noted that the PS5 somehow seems to have a slight bandwidth advantage, the Xbox in this game where it pulls ahead, I see a lot of physics objects and am wondering if that is a type of workload that is very suited to the additional CUs?

That’s the only thing that stood out to me in this video when the PS5 fell behind, all those rocks flying around.
I do agree. I think bandwidth problems at high framerate are likely to be behaving like this for XSX unless they figure out some way around the small pool.

As for physics slow down; depends where they do the physics; if CPU side then it’s a CPU issue. If GPU side then the extra ALU for compute will help.

lack of muzzle flash is curious

And btw 120 FPS is very impressive. I play it in multiplayer and to achieve high FPS on my pc I have to turn off everything at 1080p and I run in 90% res scaling. And even then I have drop to as low as 80 FPS on 1660ti Ryzen 5. Very impressive I have to say.

Lol, very impressive indeed, for the poor ryzen 5 and 1660 GPU :p Its a wonder you can even run it anywhere close to 100fps.

Thats bad, now people maybe make the misstake of getting the version with a muzzle flash that doesnt smoke.

the Xbox in this game where it pulls ahead, I see a lot of physics objects and am wondering if that is a type of workload that is very suited to the additional CUs?

I'd rather have that over a muzzle flash that doesnt leave a smoke trail :p

Adding stats for nerds from VGTech. I wish DF shared the statistical analysis, it adds a lot of value as the dips is what really separates a good experience from a bad one. Kind of weird that PS5 drops in 2-3 selected scenes. Series S a little behind of that 1440p target.

dGVp3jE.png

It's a clustered forward renderer like the last few cod games renderers, right? Guessing, but: Maybe the cost of building the clusters (done in compute shaders presumably, or else on cpu) spikes up with lots of small objects overlapping? Not sure how much the cost of clustering tends to fluctuate in a game.

PS5 coming down to the 40s on "certain scenes" point out to me that there's something about the scenes themselves on the PS5 version, just like how Dirt 5 had certain areas on certain maps getting hammered on 120hz mode with seemingly no apparent reason.
If there was much more ~50 dips I would pin it to performance. But a dip on a particular scene, no.

Last edited:
I am curious if Digital Foundry did any test in 120fps mode in the particular scenes where PS5 drops to 40s fps.

By the way do we have any side-by-side comparison about the resolution?

Very interesting.

I'm a proud XSX owner, but agree that PS5 likely has a fillrate advantage that gives it a slight edge in 120fps. Naturally XSX has a compute advantage that will show up in 1st party titles down the road and maybe a few 3rd party as well.

To the average gamer none of these differences are going to matter. It's all about the games now.

XSX is actually edging out the ps5 version there, seems like the rolls are reverted somewhat in cod. Intresting to say the least. It is the more capable gpu in the end, maybe it shows in difficult scenes with rt going on.
Anyway they should be not far from eachother going forward.

XSX is actually edging out the ps5 version there, seems like the rolls are reverted somewhat in cod. Intresting to say the least. It is the more capable gpu in the end, maybe it shows in difficult scenes with rt going on.
Anyway they should be not far from eachother going forward.

I wouldn't call particular scenes where performance drops of ~50% that look like obvious outliers as an edge.
I'd attribute it more to the scene and probably certain setting/effects of the particular map to be responsible.

Occurs in these scenes
upload_2020-11-24_15-32-28.png

I really don't see any real "valid" reason for the big dip if both consoles can handle way more chaotic scenes without a hitch.
The other dips that are seen in the video are actually accompanied by immediate similar level of chaos that run, well.. fine?

also funny how PS5 has the muzzle flash while the X doesn't.

upload_2020-11-24_15-43-36.png

Occurs in these scenes
View attachment 4995

I really don't see any real "valid" reason for the big dip if both consoles can handle way more chaotic scenes without a hitch.
The other dips that are seen in the video are actually accompanied by immediate similar level of chaos that run, well.. fine?
Yeah, this scene is a bit strange. But on the other side, you don't know what has to be rendered because it is in the sight of RT (out of camera). Objects and light-sources outside of the camera viewport must still be (more or less) rendered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back