Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It looks like the noise problem in my PS5 might be a slightly misplaced fan or a faulty one, as coil whine doesn't seem to be periodic like this. I get the feeling that if I tapped the console with some strength it could solve the problem, but I'm just not going to risk it.

I'm most probably going to send mine through RMA, though not until there are plenty of consoles for everyone (probably mid 2021).

Perhaps I should just record the noise and ask around what people think. Problem is I'm too busy playing these games...
It's not a dead silent console. But the sound volume should not be so noticeable that it's detracting from the experience. You can certainly hear it humming away when the ambient noise levels come down. But far from an annoying sound.

What are you hearing?

It's not a dead silent console. But the sound volume should not be so noticeable that it's detracting from the experience. You can certainly hear it humming away when the ambient noise levels come down. But far from an annoying sound.

What are you hearing?
I'll try to record it tonight and then I'll share it here. But to me it's annoying, mostly because I can hear it at night whenever the games go through silent scenes.

View attachment 4989

This image has a slightly different angle and shows it where the plating is still present. I circled the same memory chip that's running hot again. The plating is shaped to sit on the memory.

You can better see their modified wires hanging out the side. It looks like it has potential to raise the plating away slightly and it's difficult to know if the taped wiring underneath is also impacting the height (it *appears* taller).

...but like @DSoup said, you'd hope they'd be aware of it if it appeared problematic.
And here we have a clear example of Heisenberg principle. You can´t measure it without modifying its behaviour.

Reactions: JPT
It looks like the noise problem in my PS5 might be a slightly misplaced fan or a faulty one, as coil whine doesn't seem to be periodic like this. I get the feeling that if I tapped the console with some strength it could solve the problem, but I'm just not going to risk it.

I'm most probably going to send mine through RMA, though not until there are plenty of consoles for everyone (probably mid 2021).

Perhaps I should just record the noise and ask around what people think. Problem is I'm too busy playing these games...
I’ve had weird sounds before and literally just adjust an angle slightly would change it - I don’t think I ever got to the bottom of the issue, probably just airflow hitting something and causing the noise (sounded a bit like vibration) - so many wires loose at the time.

On the other side of the board though? I dunno how effective that'd be. *shrugs*

You can transfert a pretty good amount of heat through a pcb if done correctly. Sony has a patent for it btw, but it's not new.
xkhahxsexmu41.jpg

I'm not saying they re using it, but it exists. And the ram chip are flip-chip, no ?

That has heatsink on both sides of the SOC. You can actually see that in the video. I can't see this applied to the memory chips.

And besides, if they were using this for the memory and had patented the design, then it would be a massive oversight to apply to only some of the memory chips. I honestly don't see this done to anything other than the SOC.

I'm definitely swaying towards their setup preventing proper contact between the plate and the memory chip.

I want to know what the squared pad I have circled in red is made off. I have already seen that this pad is directly in contact with the back of the APU.

cvl6ZwU.jpg

You can transfert a pretty good amount of heat through a pcb if done correctly. Sony has a patent for it btw, but it's not new.

I'm not saying they re using it, but it exists. And the ram chip are flip-chip, no ?

yep, they are not using it, not on the APU and not on the ram chips, only standard vias for signals on the other side... of course some heat will be transfered through PCB anyway
ps5a.png

tried days gone for the first time. it sure is a looker at 4k 60fps
beautiful game
I wish I liked this game. I was so hyped for it, part of the reason I bought a PS4. When I finally played the game... I don't know. I just didn't find it to be fun. I might give it another shot in the future.

TW is very XB leaning, nothing new, he started the 9TF nonsense. The firmware update will come and PS5 will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, I'd imagine they given other features priority and going through all the certification process must have been a nightmare due to COVID. I mean, these are the guys that managed to get HDR10 on the OG PS4 with an HDMI 1.4 chip.
HDR wasn't some sort of wizardry that Sony pulled off on PS4. They use an FPGA (I think) to encode the HDMI signal, which gave them some flexibility with new standards. It's a cool feature that they added, but once you consider that 1080p HDR TVs are basically nonexistent, you would end up needing a 4k display and have to hope that the display scaler doesn't mangle the image anyway.

I wish I liked this game. I was so hyped for it, part of the reason I bought a PS4. When I finally played the game... I don't know. I just didn't find it to be fun. I might give it another shot in the future.

HDR wasn't some sort of wizardry that Sony pulled off on PS4. They use an FPGA (I think) to encode the HDMI signal, which gave them some flexibility with new standards. It's a cool feature that they added, but once you consider that 1080p HDR TVs are basically nonexistent, you would end up needing a 4k display and have to hope that the display scaler doesn't mangle the image anyway.
It has a slow start and the characters are hard to like - but once it clicks it’s a great game...and man the hordes of amazing- I definitely recommend giving it another go.

That has heatsink on both sides of the SOC. You can actually see that in the video. I can't see this applied to the memory chips.

And besides, if they were using this for the memory and had patented the design, then it would be a massive oversight to apply to only some of the memory chips. I honestly don't see this done to anything other than the SOC.

I'm definitely swaying towards their setup preventing proper contact between the plate and the memory chip.

Btw did they explain the TIM thickness?

On PS4 pro the TIM was squished down to 1mm IIRC. But you need to use 3mm to replace it and let it get squished to 1mm.

Maybe the one for PS5 was similar? But they didn't use thick enough TIM

Back