GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods: Since we will have multi-vendor hardware support for ray tracing, I wonder if we should have a single thread for ray tracing titles using Microsoft's or Vulkan's api.

Mods: Since we will have multi-vendor hardware support for ray tracing, I wonder if we should have a single thread for ray tracing titles using Microsoft's or Vulkan's api.
Isn't that what this thread is for?

Yeah, I know at some point it was renamed since more titles were using the various APIs, like generic DXR. But I've slept since then, so my memory is questionable, and it all could have been a dream.

Yeah, I know at some point it was renamed since more titles were using the various APIs, like generic DXR. But I've slept since then, so my memory is questionable, and it all could have been a dream.
Yes, it was originally focused on "RTX" titles but made more generic to focus on raytracing in general instead of vendor specific.

Yeah, I just wanted to be sure everyone was on the same page once discussion started to reflect more "generic" RT titles. I think this thread should do perfectly.

"Justice" is adding RTX Global Illumination to complement the real-time ray-traced solutions currently in the game (reflections, shadows and caustics). The difference here is they will be using the RTXGI SDK or RTXGI UE4 plugin which supports the Windows DXR API for DirectX12.

They also mention it will be the first game to use NVIDIA RTX Global Illumination lighting, so wonder if there is a performance improvement from using the RTXGI sdk and Ampere's second gen RT cores.
November 9, 2020
https://news.developer.nvidia.com/j...n-expanding-its-roster-of-ray-traced-effects/

You almost need an "RTX" button on the keyboard to write an Nvidia-related post nowadays.

You almost need an "RTX" button on the keyboard to write an Nvidia-related post nowadays.
It doesn't help when the people are just lemmings following the lead, calling raytracing RTX, DirectStorage RTX IO and so on, no matter if the underlying tech is NVIDIAs or even done first by NVIDIA

When does Logitech get in the game? We need some RTX Keyboards and RTX Mice.

I'm not sure if this is a right thread where I can post this...

Standardized RT extensions released together with Vulkan 1.2.162
Phoronix.com said:
The Vulkan ray-tracing support is now deemed final and out of the provisional guard. This includes the finalized versions of VK_KHR_acceleration_structure, VK_KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline, VK_KHR_ray_query, VK_KHR_pipeline_library, and VK_KHR_deferred_host_operations.

The Vulkan ray-tracing specification now has the support of AMD, Arm, EA, Epic Games, Facebook, Imagination, Intel, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Samsung, Unity, Valve, and other stakeholders.

That is very interesting. Looks like in some games like Valhalla and WoW, SAM delivers a tremendous boost to performance.

I wonder why that is the case for these games.

That is very interesting. Looks like in some games like Valhalla and WoW, SAM delivers a tremendous boost to performance.

I wonder why that is the case for these games.

The slide for gryphon run with RT enabled looks CPU limited to me. All of the GPUs score the same. Auto overclocking the 6800 XT does nothing, only SAM gives a boost which is probably increasing the CPU performance in some way.

All of the GPUs score the same.
RX 6800 XT has 110 AVG FPS in 1440p + RT, so no CPU limitation in 4K at least for AMD GPUs.
Moreover, SAM is all about pushing latency sensitive descriptors/constants/etc stuff to video memory, hence if application is doing something stupid and is PCIE latency limited, then pushing that latency limited stuff to video memory will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back