Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Btw I wonder if this thermal issue on some units are supplier issue?

Maybe sony use multiple suppliers for the TIM, heatsink, or fan. One of the supplier is not up to spec.

Kinda similar to ps4 and PS4 pro that was quieter with nidec fan.

The console cant transfer with direct ethernet connection between the 2?
It can transfer from PS4 to PS5 via a network connection. They both have to be on the same segment though.

I think there needs to be more data. On my 4Tb external SSD I have about a 50/50 split of games I bought digitally like Ghost of Tsushima and games I bought on disc like Dying Light and both work and have received successful updates on the drive when hooked up to my PS5 - in rest mode or in the background when playing AC Valhalla, which I have been doing a lot!

The games in question that didn't work were ones that I had transferred from my PS4 to PS5 via the network transfer option. This is what makes me suspect they have an issue with their network stack, it could also account for issues that some people have encountered with rest mode.

wait what? some PS5 shows visual artifacts?

There are few videos in the PS5 subreddit. They all seem to follow the same pattern (literally), flashing green squares forming a vague circular patter. Only seem to be visible on the home screen though. They don't happen in games. That makes me think it is a connection issue; I had similar when, unknown to me, a spider had made nest in a hdmi socket. When I plugged in a cable the poor little guy shorted out a few pins. I think it might have something to do with the refresh rate.

The games in question that didn't work were ones that I had transferred from my PS4 to PS5 via the network transfer option. This is what makes me suspect they have an issue with their network stack, it could also account for issues that some people have encountered with rest mode.
Not impossible but this seems unlikely given Sony have been using BSD as their OS base for three generations now and BSD is absolutely solid; it's the underlying network stack running the vast majority of the internet backbone. They'll be using the high level OS functions for packet management they won't have written their own. I'd lean more towards their I/O have some issues in places, it's brand new.

Reactions: JPT
Not impossible but this seems unlikely given Sony have been using BSD as their OS base for three generations now and BSD is absolutely solid; it's the underlying network stack running the vast majority of the internet backbone. They'll be using the high level OS functions for packet management they won't have written their own. I'd lean more towards their I/O have some issues in places, it's brand new.

Yeah, it pretty easy to kill your stack if you don't manage your buffering. Once I'm done installing a stack of PS4 games I'm going to run this through wireshark and see what's happening during a transfer.

20201123_125230.jpg

The circled memory module is the one that is running hot.

The wiring running next to it (with the tape) is what they added to test the temperature. It looks like the area with the tape is taller than the memory. Also, the area where those wires bend is where the wires come out under the metal plating.

Surely both of those modifications have potential to raise the plate/heatsink away from the memory?

The upper memory module has thinner wires measuring it and less obstructions, so the heatsink isn't as likely to be raised away from the memory.

View attachment 4988

The circled memory module is the one that is running hot.

The wiring running next to it (with the tape) is what they added to test the temperature. It looks like the area with the tape is taller than the memory. Also, the area where those wires bend is where the wires come out under the metal plating.

Surely both of those modifications have potential to raise the plate/heatsink away from the memory?

The upper memory module has thinner wires measuring it and less obstructions, so the heatsink isn't as likely to be raised away from the memory.
I think you might be right.

The wiring running next to it (with the tape) is what they added to test the temperature. It looks like the area with the tape is taller than the memory. Also, the area where those wires bend is where the wires come out under the metal plating. Surely both of those modifications have potential to raise the plate/heatsink away from the memory?
It looks like that in the pic but it's taken from a weird angle. It would kind of difficult not to notice this when re-assembling for testing.

the wire looks to be thin enough to get squished down, to not push the heatsink up. i think it was that the wire were a bit bend / not sticking to the board flat that makes it looks taller.

the wire looks to be thin enough to get squished down, to not push the heatsink up. i think it was that the wire were a bit bend / not sticking to the board flat that makes it looks taller.
Yeah but it could be the plate is slightly convex for better contact. In that case even a fraction of a millimetre of the cable not completely 'squishing' down could have a significant effect. But I'm assuming NG would have been aware of this.

20201123_134130.jpg

This image has a slightly different angle and shows it where the plating is still present. I circled the same memory chip that's running hot again. The plating is shaped to sit on the memory.

You can better see their modified wires hanging out the side. It looks like it has potential to raise the plating away slightly and it's difficult to know if the taped wiring underneath is also impacting the height (it *appears* taller).

...but like @DSoup said, you'd hope they'd be aware of it if it appeared problematic.

It looks like the noise problem in my PS5 might be a slightly misplaced fan or a faulty one, as coil whine doesn't seem to be periodic like this. I get the feeling that if I tapped the console with some strength it could solve the problem, but I'm just not going to risk it.

I'm most probably going to send mine through RMA, though not until there are plenty of consoles for everyone (probably mid 2021).

Perhaps I should just record the noise and ask around what people think. Problem is I'm too busy playing these games...

Equally, in the pic above the screw securing the plate just above where the wire goes in is clearly not flush - there is a gap between the bottom of the screw and the plate. That can't be normal.

Yeah, agreed.

Looks like they need to try retesting that specific module (removing the other wires or potential obstructions) and make sure the screw is fully flush.

I find it hard to understand why there would be a 30c difference between the top module and the bottom one. Even if the wiring is obstructing contact it still sounds very high.

Back