Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Sounds like poor thermal dissipation design around the memory modules (bottom), which can potentially affect the long-term performance (health) of those chips. Removing those fugly sides can help reduce thermals slightly.
The SSD or the GDDR6 chips?

EDIT: Ok so it's the GDDR6 chips. But I think those (14C) could be rated to sustain higher temps than usual.

The RAM inside PS5 D9XKV seems a newer customized version
https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201116053/SS/023.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the GDDR6 chip.

Not sure why they measured the bottom of the chip to get 90 degrees+ though. Most tests measure the surface, no?

Last edited:
We don't know what its rated for but think of this way. This is the best temps the memory will ever get. As time goes dust builds up and power supplies don't work as well and so on and so forth.

Nand works well in high temps but i have a feeling this is going to be really high temps. There seems to be very little air flow if any at all. Thats a far cry from a pc where it gets some air moving over it from case fans

Its just odd that they have a huge console and this was the best cooling they could come up with. I dunno just seems odd.

I'm sure you will be fine. I recommend a warranty from the console manufacturer if your able to get it or just buy it from costco.

lol

The bottom memory temps are no doubt concerning, but I'm not overly worried about the NVMe enclosure temps. I have a 1TB NVMe drive entombed (that has zero airflow in that NVMe enclosure) right under two GPUs on my Asus ROG Zenith motherboard, and had no issues whatsoever.

I hope it's not the reason why some people are having artefacting problems...

Its what can happen when you oc too high on pc gpus/memory, including lockups and strange crashes when temps get too high/sustained.

Doubt its therefor, more likely software problems. Not that i would like those temps anywhere in a pc system.
Havent had any problems with my ps5, on the other hand its winter now.

Sounds like poor thermal dissipation design around the memory modules (bottom), which can potentially affect the long-term performance (health) of those chips. Removing those fugly sides can help reduce thermals slightly.

thank you, now I'm 100% convinced to wait for 2nd revision.

EDIT:
wait what? some PS5 shows visual artifacts?

A-ha! I must have missed a few things since Thursday, I’ve been playing non stop :)

Then I'd say you've done well to only have one system crash! Others are getting it more frequently but perhaps it's more prevalent depending on which graphics mode you're running it in.

I thought it was around an eight hour game?

*Installing it from disc worked fine, updates and all. So it's either the network stack that's borked or the data management code. But it means that I just have to install my PS4 games from disc and then update them to make this work. So happy that I bought everything on disc now :)

I think there needs to be more data. On my 4Tb external SSD I have about a 50/50 split of games I bought digitally like Ghost of Tsushima and games I bought on disc like Dying Light and both work and have received successful updates on the drive when hooked up to my PS5 - in rest mode or in the background when playing AC Valhalla, which I have been doing a lot!

I hope it's not the reason why some people are having artefacting problems... Damn how can they missed that...

I think they are faulty consoles. Nobody should be seeing graphics artefacts and this is an issue that it's unlikely to be solved with a firmware update.

I've also not had a problem with rest mode yet either. I'm actually getting larger problems with the full shut down lol

I'd give Sony support a call about this - just to be sure it's not a symptom that they're already identified as a fault that may require the console be swapped. If you have no external drive attached and can't even put down the PS5, that sounds like some hardware isn't acquiesing to the power management system.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they are faulty consoles. Nobody should be seeing graphics artefacts and this is an issue that it's unlikely to be solved with a firmware update.

Well if the ram is too hot (IF), then it's possible. I had some graphics cards acting like this... GN says it too around 10:24-10:30.

I can't believe how cool the SOC is running.

Might they have impacted the conductivity of that bottom memory chip by taking apart the machine? Seems odd that the rest are essentially within the expected range with the exception of that one. Everything should be equal among those modules, they've all got the same cooling solutions and similar proximity to the SOC (which anyway runs cooler than that memory module). The placement of that steel plate might have been slightly off effecting the top or bottom memory modules...?

Or maybe I'm clutching at straws. ;)

I just can't understand why that one module would be running so much hotter than the rest.

Problem is, IF this is because of some too hot memory modules, it's not 100% guaranteed a new one won't have the same problem down the line.

I’m pretty sure they’ve tested the console under stress during their QA. And the console is not overclocked, as shown by the recent AMD 6000 series cards. It’s how RDNA2 cards are designed to run.

Also, GN points out that the console is power efficient. Also destroying some early concerns.

I’d be much worried about early faulty firmwares.

I’m pretty sure they’ve tested the console under stress during their QA. And the console is not overclocked, as shown by the recent AMD 6000 series cards. It’s how RDNA2 cards are designed to run.

Also, GN points out that the console is power efficient. Also destroying some early concerns.

I’d be much worried about early faulty firmwares.

Like in all electronics product, there is some faulty product. Here it is overblown. I think John Linneman said it is the first time I saw console launch with social media era and console warriors are talking about faulty unit on two sides.

Like in all electronics product, there is some faulty product. Here it is overblown. I think John Linneman said it is the first time I saw console launch with social media era and console warriors are talking about faulty unit on two sides.

Yup It's disappointing to have something not work properly and its a mixed blessing if this is identified early. In some countries, warranties can be quite severe and you may need to return it quickly, equally stock being what it is you're likely going to have to return it to Sony and be without a PS5 for 1-2 weeks.

When a few launch PS4's failed, Sony clarified that the failure rate was 0.4% and so the probability of having a second faulty console around 1 in 40,000. In any other circumstances (not a console launch, not a pandemic, plenty of stock) you'd just go back to the store you bought it from.

Yup It's disappointing to have something not work properly and its a mixed blessing if this is identified early. In some countries, warranties can be quite severe and you may need to return it quickly, equally stock being what it is you're likely going to have to return it to Sony and be without a PS5 for 1-2 weeks.

When a few launch PS4's failed, Sony clarified that the acceptable failure rate for their consumer goods is 0.4% and so the probability of having a second faulty console around 1 in 40,000. In any other circumstances (not a console launch, not a pandemic, plenty of stock) you'd just go back to the store you bought it from.

The worst is to have one faulty unit now with consoles sold out this is a shitty situation. I will wait a little for my PS5 when the stock situation will be better.

The worst is to have one faulty unit now with consoles sold out this is a shitty situation. I will wait a little for my PS5 when the stock situation will be better.
Sony have stock for warranty replacements, retailers perhaps not.

Problem is, IF this is because of some too hot memory modules, it's not 100% guaranteed a new one won't have the same problem down the line.

Yeah this could be similar to YLOD on big fat ps3, the melting laser lense of early ps2 slim, and HDMI port that get damaged over time due to temperature wear and tear cycle in early model of PS4 and PS4 pro

So it Will be fixed in the next revision. Usually The only way to know the revised unit by looking

1. Special bundles that are new
2. Sérial number
3. Disassembling the unit and look for Rev number / alphabet

Last edited:
Back