What's the oldest electronics you still use regularly?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
For me it's Xbox 360 falcon revision. So it's... 2006? 2007? And it's kinect. Basically just used to play Your Shape fitness.

There's also
  • a tube 14" color tv I don't even remember what year it was from
  • An ethernet switch from 2007. I just unplugged it today tho, turns out the ports in my wifi router is enough. Because most devices now use wifi. This makes me remember the time where LAN party means bringing cables and PC and monitor and KB/M.
  • 5.1ch Sony home theater / DVD player since 2013. The remote control was gone, and the dvd drive was never used, but it still work as usual for surround sound speaker.
  • Sony Vaio tap 11 tablet / laptop thing since 2013. It's ridiculous that nowadays basically there's still none that can properly replace this thing (full size usb, micro hdmi out, all in less than 1cm thick and less than 1kg device). It already got almost 10x fan replacement, 1x battery replacement, 1x screen replacement, 1x ssd replacement, and 1x outer case replacement tho. LOL. So the only thing still original from 2013 is only the motherboard hahahaha.
  • Sony qx100 camera from 2014. It seems it's pretty common for a camera to last for eons haha. When I used it people keeps getting amused with this thing. It's quite hard to tell them that it's not a lense, it's a complete camera, the phone was only for viewing.

The Light Bulb.

Or do you mean device specific and not since it was invented?

I have a Duron 700 running as file server, previous century stuff. Yamaha RX-V440 in living room, with a pair of Dali 202 of about the same age - 2003 perhaps.
Oh, and a Helo Saunatonttu 6 from 2000.

Probably my AMD A6-3650 APU which I use for browsing personal stuff and playing music in my home office.

A cheap Radio Shack multimeter I picked up back in the 70s or a Casio Databank from the very early 80s if we're talking just personal electronics. (I really do still have my databank, so happy when my daughter found it in my old junk collection and we put a new battery in and it worked! She wore it in high school)

I don't know of anything else off the top of my head, I think I got my old VIC-20 laying around somewhere and I still have to go and grab a full TRS-80 Model 3 setup from my old man that's in mint condition except for 50-60 years of constantly being in a nicotine cloud...but at least it was covered. (I know it's stupid to get it, but I always wanted a TRS-80 as a kid so figured what the hell. ;) )

AM/FM radio in my 1993 Toyota Corolla, and the occasional use of an old cassette in the player. I've got a HTC Flyer tablet from 2011 that still supports Netflix, or is it visa versa, and its 7" Super LCD screen is still excellent for watching video in bed on nights I don't feel like using a larger tablet. A couple years back I replaced the battery. I got lucky with that, and I wouldn't try it again, as the very helpful video I found that inspired me to try the replacement was pretty zoomed in, and only later did I realize that the lady in the video had tiny hands. Lol, but I was happy to have revived it. I can still write in it, using a Trig pen, though now I have two Samsung tablets for that as well, and they're amazing. The Flyer has excellent stereo speakers, so it's good for my music and the Binaural Beats app. Kindle still works on it, the Amazon Music Player as an offline app, as also a weather app. It's no longer supported at the Google Play store, and after I messed up and ended up clearing out the apps I had, I could no longer use the store to recover them. Though I was able to briefly worm my way in, and download a few apps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_LCD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Flyer

There's a custom ROM that would allow me to use Jelly Bean, and thus get to the app store, though maybe now even that is too old, but then I'd lose support for the Trig-pen. I just remembered that I downloaded the last usable versions of some APKs, so I have Firefox, but it can't handle video on webpages.

Hah, I just now had to check, and using its data transfer cable I was able to put an old 480p Xvid on it, and the VLC player rendered it beautifully.

The Light Bulb.

Or do you mean device specific and not since it was invented?

The LED ones or the ancient yellow ones? In here light bulb ofted died in less than 5 years :(

I blame the unstable electricity. But I remember the neon light last eons. The "starter" usually need to be replaced every few years tho.

Probably my AMD A6-3650 APU which I use for browsing personal stuff and playing music in my home office.

Pleasantly surprised it works fine for web browsing. Reviews of amd apu A series makes it seems to be something more horrible than Intel atom

I still use a PS3 with PlayTV as TV recorder. It's a slim one so ~2009.

Ps3 can be used to record TV? TIL

A cheap Radio Shack multimeter I picked up back in the 70s or a Casio Databank from the very early 80s if we're talking just personal electronics. (I really do still have my databank, so happy when my daughter found it in my old junk collection and we put a new battery in and it worked! She wore it in high school)

I don't know of anything else off the top of my head, I think I got my old VIC-20 laying around somewhere and I still have to go and grab a full TRS-80 Model 3 setup from my old man that's in mint condition except for 50-60 years of constantly being in a nicotine cloud...but at least it was covered. (I know it's stupid to get it, but I always wanted a TRS-80 as a kid so figured what the hell. ;) )

Haha yeah Casio are immortal hahaha.

AM/FM radio in my 1993 Toyota Corolla, and the occasional use of an old cassette in the player. I've got a HTC Flyer tablet from 2011 that still supports Netflix, or is it visa versa, and its 7" Super LCD screen is still excellent for watching video in bed on nights I don't feel like using a larger tablet. A couple years back I replaced the battery. I got lucky with that, and I wouldn't try it again, as the very helpful video I found that inspired me to try the replacement was pretty zoomed in, and only later did I realize that the lady in the video had tiny hands. Lol, but I was happy to have revived it. I can still write in it, using a Trig pen, though now I have two Samsung tablets for that as well, and they're amazing. The Flyer has excellent stereo speakers, so it's good for my music and the Binaural Beats app. Kindle still works on it, the Amazon Music Player as an offline app, as also a weather app. It's no longer supported at the Google Play store, and after I messed up and ended up clearing out the apps I had, I could no longer use the store to recover them. Though I was able to briefly worm my way in, and download a few apps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_LCD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Flyer

There's a custom ROM that would allow me to use Jelly Bean, and thus get to the app store, though maybe now even that is too old, but then I'd lose support for the Trig-pen. I just remembered that I downloaded the last usable versions of some APKs, so I have Firefox, but it can't handle video on webpages.

Hah, I just now had to check, and using its data transfer cable I was able to put an old 480p Xvid on it, and the VLC player rendered it beautifully.

That makes me wonder, does aurora store or fdroid works on it? Could be an alternative solution. Aurora store breaks tons of Google TOS tho

Last edited:
I have some early '80s clock-radio my mum bought already old at a garage sale in the 90s.
One of the ones with the pale blue digital numbers.

Radio station changer & buttons are basically dead so I can't set time/alarm with it anymore -> probably should send it off to its grave.
But it had this most important feature: it would play 8min of radio at the alarm time before beeping loudly.
So I could set radio to a fairly quiet volume & have 8mins to gently wake up enough to switch over to just playing radio or it'd shock me awake.
It also kept really good time & unusually for the time had ability to set 2 alarm times.

I tried to get one of those guys who fixes old electronics to fix it but he wasn't interested, too obscure a brand even for him :(

I have an hp42s calculator I still use from 1988.

But seeing the post above mine, my clock radio predates that by at least 10 years.

I have a 14 inch TV which mainly used by my Father these days. They have some hearing issues so they plug in their headphones and have their separate TV to enjoy their favorite programs :)

I'm guessing Swayee still runs a Rowland Midi Synth
I had Mechwarrior 2 running on the PowerVR PCX2 and S3 Virge GX a month ago. Haven't messed with the MIDI stuff in years though. I think I'd rather hear FM synth these days.

I think the oldest thing I use fairly often is my Micronta battery checker (from '80s Radio Shack)

Last edited:
Back