Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I don't belive you'll be able to tell the difference between 422 and 444. Plus, and even if it's not 100% related, oled panel are still 10bits, I don't get the "need" for 12 bits signal...

422 and 444 are not related to bit-depth, but to chroma resolution. You can have a 12-bit (or 10-bit, or any-bit) signal with 422 or 420.

I believe I had my first "bug" last night. I stop playing with my controller battery 3/4 full. And this morning it was empty. I left the console on rest mode, but with the controller configurer to switch off when inactive 10 minutes. Weird...

I believe I had my first "bug" last night. I stop playing with my controller battery 3/4 full. And this morning it was empty. I left the console on rest mode, but with the controller configurer to switch off when inactive 10 minutes. Weird...
When you first got the controller, did you let it fully charge for a good 6-8 hours? Second, how many times have you have fully charged and let the controller run down? Li-ion takes a few cycles for the battery charge to be anywhere near accurate. These things can cause what you're seen. Of course, so can bugs! :yes:

I've invested maybe 20 hours into PS5 and my 'second' DualSense controller arrived a week before my PS5 so I got to fully charge it and it was that controller I began playing with on launch while the packed-in controller went on a long-charge. After around 20 hours, I'm down to around 1 bar on my packed-in controller (the second one I actually used) so the battery life for me is much better than DualShock4 at around 10 hours per charge.

I've charged it good => let it discharge while gaming 2 times.

I get the accuracy thing, but 3/4 full => empty is a big one :D I'll see with time... My guess is the pad didn't turn off itself for now.

I get the accuracy thing, but 3/4 full => empty is a big one :D I'll see with time... My guess is the pad didn't turn off itself for now.

Agreed. Our of curiosity, how are you getting 3/4? The battery icon has three bars which I've always interpreted as 3 bars: ~100% 2: bars ~66% and 1 bar ~33%. Do I need to RTFM? My DualShock4 could easily eek an hour out of zero bars, an actual percentage in the UI would be helpful.

Agreed. Our of curiosity, how are you getting 3/4? The battery icon has three bars which I've always interpreted as 3 bars: ~100% 2: bars ~66% and 1 bar ~33%. Do I need to RTFM? My DualShock4 could easily eek an hour out of zero bars, an actual percentage in the UI would be helpful.

I honestly believe I saw 4 bars when full, but i didn't pay much attention so I must be wrong :D . I just saw only one bar was missing, hence the 3/4.

TW is very XB leaning, nothing new, he started the 9TF nonsense. The firmware update will come and PS5 will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, I'd imagine they given other features priority and going through all the certification process must have been a nightmare due to COVID. I mean, these are the guys that managed to get HDR10 on the OG PS4 with an HDMI 1.4 chip.

TW is very XB leaning, nothing new, he started the 9TF nonsense. The firmware update will come and PS5 will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, I'd imagine they given other features priority and going through all the certification process must have been a nightmare due to COVID. I mean, these are the guys that managed to get HDR10 on the OG PS4 with an HDMI 1.4 chip.

https://www.theverge.com/authors/tom-warren

Obviously MS biased...it came out in the lead up and now we have this ongoing BS to try and control the facts which currently show XSX not being as powerful as he bragged.

Meanwhile Demon Souls looks absolutely amazing and my wife has started playing games thanks to the amazing DS5.

This is part of the problem. Gaming journalists mixing their own personal feelings and biases into actual gaming news [issues] and sounding like corporate mouthpieces, shills, hypemen, or console warriors themselves. This goes for all sides and not just Tom Warren alone. Gaming journalism in many ways is starting to reflect today's social and political climate of party tribalism, aggression and alternative facts (err, lies).

Clickbait resembling other clickbait articles which can (does) create a certain picture or scenario that isn't necessarily representative of actual facts and/or free from actual biases.

This is part of the problem. Gaming journalists mixing their own personal feelings and biases into actual gaming news [issues] and sounding like corporate mouthpieces, shills, hypemen, or console warriors themselves.

There are definitely patches of impartiality in "gaming journalism". It's cool to be passionate something, be it a product or platform, but the moment that passion impacts your objectivity you're no longer a journalist.

I'm not saying this is the case with Tom Warren as The Verge is not a site I read so I'm not familiar with his output. That said I've seen Digital Foundry called biassed so much from both PlayStation and Xbox fanboys that's frankly absurd. They'd have to be outright schizophrenic to be biased.

I've encountered my first annoying bug; I have bought a 5TB externa HD to put my fave PS4 game on, when I first plugged the drive in I was asked to format it which took no time at all (suspicious in itself). Then it wouldn't display any info about the external drive and also not list the content of the internal drive. So I thought I'd restart to see if that helped. So then it just got stuck trying to restart so I bit the bullet and forced it to shut down by holding down the power button. Switched it back on and it had to re-build the db etc. And then it recognized the external drive and all was good. Transferred Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Days Gone, Warframe, and a few others. But the issue I have now is that it can't update the games on the external hard drive. It downloads the update and then fails to copy them.

I'm going to try copy a game back to the internal drive and try updating it there to see if that works. Has anyone else had any issued with external drives. I'm wondering if it is the drive I'm using? Its a WD 5TB Elements.

No, Ghost and a few others. I'm wondering if closing the open game will help? Seems to be something wrong with how the PS5 is handling external drives.

Sorry, poor joke on how you'd need a 5TB drive to store the latest COD game. :)

My external drive crashed the PS5 after I unplugged it from the front USB (when prompted). Worked fine afterwards though.

...nice to have a USB on the back. I hate the external drive hanging off the front of the PS4.

Back