Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

is it just me ? or do PS4 games look washed out on PS5 ? No problem with PS5 games.

It was the same for me, and the reason was because if you have HDR set to automatic, the PS5 has HDR mode always enabled, and tonemaps the game back down to SDR if it doesn't have an HDR mode (or you just turn it off in-game). This is to avoid the delay with your TV switching to HDR mode for every game that supports it, it can just happen instantaneously.

Unfortunately, it's not perfect - especially for TV's like mine that don't have great HDR implementations. Disabling HDR from the system menu fixed this. It's an extra step now though for the few games where HDR works decently enough on my TV, as I now have to go to the system menu to enable it if I just want to run it for those games.

Maybe they can just skip folders and go to tags, this being next gen and all. A game can be both PSVR and PS+, Sony.

Please, for the love of God, make it so! I like to categorise games by genre, but also by things like "local multiplayer" or "currently playing." Which means I've often had to spend painstaking... seconds choosing which folder is better suited.

Astrobot really does show off the DualSense well. They introduce features gradually and they continue to impress. It's not just the haptics, it's the use of sound on the controller to re-inforce the haptics. Very neat.

It's also not a bad platform experience in it's own right and is a real fan service for PlayStation. I can see you wanting, and enjoying, getting the platinum.

And you were right of course. Finished this today and a couple of things:

1. I’m completely obsessed with the soundtrack, particularly the GPU song. Exhibit A:

Exhibit B (with the thing lip syncing to the song, cause of course)

I can’t even begin to describe how genius that is and how good it feels to enter and play through the level with that song playing. It’s been playing in my head all day, obviously. The lyrics are genius too.

2. The controller. Oh my god.

To me the one thing that actually made me stop and just sit there in complete awe is at one point in the Memory level, when the controller started tapping lightly.

At first I couldn’t understand what that was for, until I realised that a light rain fall had started in the game, and each drop falling on Astro’s little umbrella matched the tapping. And as I went on the light rain quickly turned heavier and then into a full storm, fully replicated by the haptics.

I honestly had to stop and take it all in. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Please, for the love of God, make it so! I like to categorise games by genre, but also by things like "local multiplayer" or "currently playing." Which means I've often had to spend painstaking... seconds choosing which folder is better suited.

I would so enjoy a multi-tag metadata system thats specified by the user.

Forget all this old school Folder stuff, even if you can have items in multiple Folders. Its easier to manage the game tags than to create Folders for everything and manage whats in or out.

Don’t know how you got this idea. 18Gbps on 2.0 will limit you to 4K60.

Realistically how much is there a need for more than that? Personally for me, the only reason to change into a 2.1 equipped TV for consoles would be to get more inches or better picture quality in game mode.

If it’s so noticeable, why did it take a service menu to confirm it’s occurring?

Because how you correctly said most people won't notice, but if you know what to look for you'll notice. It's also a matter of principle to not introduce lossy compression between GPU and display.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Playstation guy and I'm buying the PS5 asap, but I want to know what gear I'll effectively need.

Sony launched its latest console - the PlayStation 5 – globally on November 19, one week after the initial launch on select markets, including the US and Japan. TASS spoke exclusively to Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO, on the hardships of a global launch in 2020, the importance of exclusive titles, and why game prices are bound to rise.

Read More: https://tass.com/economy/1225233

Snippets:

Of all the things that I’ve learned this year, one is that I wouldn’t plan on doing another big console launch in the midst of a global pandemic, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody else. It’s been difficult, it’s been challenging from the production side, not being able to get anybody into the factories in Asia… Before we started production, we had to do all the manufacturing preparation by camera remotely. I mean, just imagine that for a precision device like the PlayStation 5.

Absolutely everything is sold.

[Console wars] is not a term I ever use or actually like. For me, it’s great that there’s competition. I think it makes us work harder. It avoids us getting complacent. It’s great that the consumer has a choice. I think that’s wonderful. We’re happy and we’re proud with what we have.

Great games are really important for the PlayStation 5, and if those great games are exclusive to our platform, we think that is a point of difference in our favor, and we’re very happy to be able to offer the PlayStation community games that they can only find on a PlayStation.

Regarding MS buying Zenimax

That’s a decision that is out of our hands, we’ll wait and see what happens. I look forward to learning about that.

Regarding Gamepass

There is actually news to come, but just not today. We have PlayStation Now which is our subscription service, and that is available in a number of markets.

And you were right of course. Finished this today and a couple of things:

1. I’m completely obsessed with the soundtrack, particularly the GPU song. Exhibit A:

Exhibit B (with the thing lip syncing to the song, cause of course)

I can’t even begin to describe how genius that is and how good it feels to enter and play through the level with that song playing. It’s been playing in my head all day, obviously. The lyrics are genius too.

To me the one thing that actually made me stop and just sit there in complete awe is at one point in the Memory level, when the controller started tapping lightly.

At first I couldn’t understand what that was for, until I realised that a light rain fall had started in the game, and each drop falling on Astro’s little umbrella matched the tapping. And as I went on the light rain quickly turned heavier and then into a full storm, fully replicated by the haptics.

I honestly had to stop and take it all in. Unbelievable.

That is cool as hell.

BC on PS5 came with some limitations, plus it meant that the PS5 design had less freedom in reaching a certain perfmance.

The XBOX Series can play many BC games at 120Hz. This appears impossible with the PS5. MS could reach higher performance because BC didnt limit the number of CU's.
Sony had to consider higher clocks and thus more expensive cooling solutions which probably contributed in the console's bigger size and heavier mass
Except Playstation seems to have a preferred refresh rate of 60fps(Hz) for their games. If it does 120fps(and some games do) then all well and dandy however the preferred fps seen in most BC games is 60fps and I am fine with that.

MS can do whatever the hell they want with their BC games. It doesn't affect the quality or gameplay of Sony published games at 60fps.

If it’s so noticeable, why did it take a service menu to confirm it’s occurring?

Don't ask awkward questions.

How do get "soon" from "after a future system software update"?

Sony touted suspend/resume as one of their key immediacy features in their February 2013 PS4 reveal, launched PS4 in November 2013 and the firmware supporting suspend/resume (2.50) was released n March 2015. :runaway:

You have to wonder how Sony's PS5 feature review meetings go: "Ok, next on the agenda is launch day support for VRR, or the alternative suggestion from Mr Saytora. A show of hands for VRR feature support please?. Ok, unanimous agreement on more particles in the Home Screen". :yes:

Told ya. Astrobot is Nintendo-like in it's obsessive tiny details and throwback references to PlayStation history. This was a labour of love for a lot of people and why it's getting great review scores. It was genius (and generous) of Sony to not only give this away free, but to pre-install it on every PS5.

And other games are using it to a lesser degree, e.g. in AC Valhalla when sneaky through grass the control tingles so you can feel you're moving through grass and therefore obscured.

Except Playstation seems to have a preferred refresh rate of 60fps(Hz) for their games. If it does 120fps(and some games do) then all well and dandy however the preferred fps seen in most BC games is 60fps and I am fine with that.

MS can do whatever the hell they want with their BC games. It doesn't affect the quality or gameplay of Sony published games at 60fps.
It doesnt matter what you prefer. This isnt about you.

tried days gone for the first time. it sure is a looker at 4k 60fps
beautiful game

It's just gorgeous, especially with native 4k (dynamic, but sticks very close to native majority of the time). Aside from the great texture work, two of the best graphical features which make it so impressive imo is the screen-space shadows where virtually every element, no matter how small, produces a shadow, and the almost complete lack of colour banding. So often in games with hazy lighting conditions you can witness a lot of colour banding (eg: Death Stranding), Days Gone is almost pristine in this regard.

60fps makes such a huge difference too.

It's just gorgeous, especially with native 4k (dynamic, but sticks very close to native majority of the time). Aside from the great texture work, two of the best graphical features which make it so impressive imo is the screen-space shadows where virtually every element, no matter how small, produces a shadow, and the almost complete lack of colour banding. So often in games with hazy lighting conditions you can witness a lot of colour banding (eg: Death Stranding), Days Gone is almost pristine in this regard.

60fps makes such a huge difference too.

They use screen space shadows too in Demon's souls remake. Curious ot know if they as help to Sony Bend. @Graham

Any PS5 owners try Bloodborne yet? Does the brute force processing eliminate the frame-pacing issues or are they still there? Want to play through it again but I might wait till I get a new console sometime in the future.

Back