Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2020-11-21_0-44-9.png

edited: removed tweet and added YT comment

Watch Dogs seems to be rendering at higher res with better AA on PS5 but worse drawing distance and AF. But given the game is also from Ubisoft, probably shares engine with AC:V?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch Dogs seems to be rendering at higher res with better AA and reflections on PS5 as well. But given the game is also from Ubisoft, probably shares engine with AC:V?
Weird, as in YT channel itself the guy making comparisom said RT is exactly the same with XSX having better draw distance/AF and PS5 higher average resolution, dont know why he cropped that part.

Neither tears or drops frames, better showing then Valhalla for XSX although I cant see difference in draw distance.

Edit
Oh I just checked that twitter account lol

Watch Dogs seems to be rendering at higher res with better AA and reflections on PS5 as well. But given the game is also from Ubisoft, probably shares engine with AC:V?

People see want they want to see. There are far more differences in the first scene pic than the wired line. The moon light is reflected off the windows of
all 4 cars on the rollercoaster on the XSX and only two on the PS5. The background is lit different and more detailed in the XSX scene.

It’s GDK. I checked.
I didn’t realize you could run it from external. Must test

Inside the game installation maintenance for The Touryst, it displays warning if you try to move it.

"One or more of your selections needs faster storage. You can move it, but it won't be playable."
After moving it to external it displays 2 sideways arrows on the bottom right of the tile. That is supposed to indicate that the title needs to be moved to NVME to be played.

Then when you try to launch it, it displays full screen popup saying:

"Sorry, this game cannot be played from external storage.
To play The Touryst, you'll need to transfer it to a storage expansion card or the consoles internal storge"​

[Transfer Game] [Learn More] [Close]​

BTW, its ridiculous how quick the tiny little game of 548.9 Megs transfers. So I didn't mind toying with it.

It’s GDK. I checked.
I didn’t realize you could run it from external. Must test
Oh, I wasn't saying it is XDK. I was just guessing based on the profile of the game ie it's not a heavy or taxing game and given what Ori achieved through XDK alone I assumed that The Touryst could be an XDK game. It's actually cool that it is a GDK game. I'd guess Shin'en wants to get a headstart on familiarizing themselves with the new console and its dev environment. Gives me hope they plan to release more game on the Xbox platform in the future.

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn't saying it is XDK. I was just guessing based on the profile of the game ie it's not a heavy or taxing game and given what Ori achieved through XDK alone I assumed that The Touryst could be an XDK game. It's actually cool that it is a GDK game. I'd guess Shin'en wants to get a headstart on familiarizing themselves with the new console and its dev environment. Gives me hope the plan to release more game on the Xbox platform in the future.
No worries. A lot of indies using the GDK. I think it’s faster for them to deploy to multiple platforms so the effort is worth it for them. PC to XBO and everything in between

I would think developers have to be aware of that in the same way they have to know about esram.

On Xbox one there are no pools just a contiguous allocation so a single asset, most likely a buffer can span both esram and ddr3. Developers need to know where thoes addresses are allocated and allocate accordingly.

Given the relative similarly of series memory Vs esram I assume they have done the same.

Well yes, and I assume for the GDK you know all about memory ranges for all consoles. But for the last gen XDK - that does not expose next gen hardware features - would the game know which optimal areas of memory everything was operating from?

Being next gen aware doesn't necessarily ensure knowledge of which areas of next gen specific memory you're operating from, given that next gen is completely different to X1/S.

Well yes, and I assume for the GDK you know all about memory ranges for all consoles. But for the last gen XDK - that does not expose next gen hardware features - would the game know which optimal areas of memory everything was operating from?

Being next gen aware doesn't necessarily ensure knowledge of which areas of next gen specific memory you're operating from, given that next gen is completely different to X1/S.

I assume you just get addresses 0x00 to 0xFF but obviously much bigger, it's up to you to know that the first 10gb mapped is fast and the rest is less fast.

Memory is memory, the bandwidth is not relevant to the hardware or access, its merely how the software utilises it.

For some reason, and I can't recall why or where, I thought it was a simple Flag or parameter set to be GPU Optimal memory or not. Maybe I'm scrambling it up with InfinityCache LLC usage?

I complete the spreadsheet. Mainly GDK. Only a handful of titles leveraging the Gen9 Aware

I was able to install everything, pause, check the file type and cancel installation without owning it.
I got some glimpses into incomplete titles as well:
spreadsheet here:
Xbox Series Optimized Titles.xlsx

I suppose Cyberpunk2077 shocked me, but perhaps it shouldn't. They have the real patch coming next year. The info is subject to change anyway, so it's only really worth checking at release.

BTW, its ridiculous how quick the tiny little game of 548.9 Megs transfers. So I didn't mind toying with it.
Let’s just take a minute to appreciate that a 550MB game “needs” to be on SSD. The whole thing when running might fit in the slow RAM.

Fun game, by the way. Trying to land (sea?) a 540 in the surf competition was infuriating. Worth a try on GamePass.

Let’s just take a minute to appreciate that a 550MB game “needs” to be on SSD. The whole thing when running might fit in the slow RAM.

Fun game, by the way. Trying to land (sea?) a 540 in the surf competition was infuriating. Worth a try on GamePass.

Yeah. I was hoping they'd have some lower level of conditional bits, like the title can specify if it requires NVME or not.

It's fun game indeed. I wish I could manage the drums well enough (always mess up at same part with 3-notes close) and also the 3 arcade game high scores. Somehow it didn't take me too many times on the 540 surf.

Yeah. I was hoping they'd have some lower level of conditional bits, like the title can specify if it requires NVME or not.

It's fun game indeed. I wish I could manage the drums well enough (always mess up at same part with 3-notes close) and also the 3 arcade game high scores. Somehow it didn't take me too many times on the 540 surf.

Drums were easy. Did it on 1 try, but then again I played drums as a kid. 540 surf was hard af, took me over 200 tries. Arcade & volleyball was my last ones. Probably my next hardest, but figured I was able to do the 540 surf & it couldn't be any harder. LOL Probably one of my proudest 100%.

Tommy McClain

Has there been any speculations on the possibility of PS5 featuring 64MB of infinity cache?
Looking a the 6800/6900xt chip i can't help but think the PS5 version is based on the cut in half version of it (2SEs vs 4SEs)

The full 6900xt chip has a 519mm2 die size, halved version of the chip with 2SEs (40CUs) and 64MB of IC would be ~260mm2. PS5 APU is estimated to be 308mm2
That leaves 48mm2 for 8 Zen 2 cores, 8mb cache and custom(extra) IO fixed function processors

Anyone got a estimate of how much space each zen2 core takes and how much space 8mb l3 cache takes?

Has there been any speculations on the possibility of PS5 featuring 64MB of infinity cache?

Anyone got a estimate of how much space each zen2 core takes and how much space 8mb l3 cache takes?

Plenty of speculation that's mostly around the SOC being too small to have significant portions of IC, when you build up what area is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back