Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

HDMI 2.1 on TVs has existed for 18 months, but until last week when the consoles released there had been no HDMI 2.1 sources..
Yup, there have been very few devices capable of outputting HDMI 2.1 signals in which to test. Many TVs are still catching up because they've had so devices on which to test the inputs.

Has anyone put the 2 colour options side by side and seen an actual difference? Seems like a nothing burger to me, ie. please don't try to convince me to go get a CX, this B7 is still working good.

Yup if something as hard to see as that is bothering you it would be better to have a high end PC because there will be much bigger more perceptible differences between a high end PC vs a console.

Yup if something as hard to see as that is bothering you it would be better to have a high end PC because there will be much bigger more perceptible differences between a high end PC vs a console.

Well it's not the same thing though..
Plenty of PC gamers use >$2500 systems on $300 1080p TN monitors because they really want 144FPS, whereas many console gamers invest on $2500 OLEDs to play their games on their $300 consoles.

Seems like a nothing burger to me, ie. please don't try to convince me to go get a CX, this B7 is still working good.
Of course not.

At this point you might as well just wait for the C1 series in 2021.
;)

It looks like waiting for reviews was good strategy, because apparently HDMI 2.0 TV's will be enough for the PS5.
Don’t know how you got this idea. 18Gbps on 2.0 will limit you to 4K60. 4K120 at 422 won’t be noticeable for most. Full chroma bandwidth is only really necessary for PC as it can affect the appearance of text. Games and movies are mostly unaffected just due to the nature of the content, when you talk about the difference being perceptible by a human.

Seems unlikely to me.

It also demonstrates that "professional" game reviewers like Digital Foundry are just blind. Have to wait a week for a TV reviewer to tell us the output picture quality is crap.

Wait what ? If I'm not mistaken, until hdmi 2.1, YUV 4.2.2 was the max setting for 4k 60hz with HDR. And it looks fine. Except some very specific content (that I don't know about), I don't belive you'll be able to tell the difference between 422 and 444. Plus, and even if it's not 100% related, oled panel are still 10bits, I don't get the "need" for 12 bits signal...

Don’t know how you got this idea. 18Gbps on 2.0 will limit you to 4K60. 4K120 at 422 won’t be noticeable for most. Full chroma bandwidth is only really necessary for PC as it can affect the appearance of text. Games and movies are mostly unaffected just due to the nature of the content, when you talk about the difference being perceptible by a human.

as if console games didn't have any text or graphics ;-)

It took me few seconds to notice that I'm on 422 when I tested HDR 4K/60 in Gran Turismo Sport on PS4Pro, it's clearly visible in their "Display Settings Assistant". And I confirmed that I'm seeing chroma subsampling artifacts when I dropped resolution to 1080p (HDR RGB 444).

Last edited:
as if console games didn't have any text or graphics ;-)

It took me few seconds to notice that I'm on 422 when I tested HDR 4K/60 in Gran Turismo Sport on PS4Pro, it's clearly visible in their "Display Settings Assistant". And I confirmed that I'm seeing chroma subsampling artifacts when I dropped resolution to 1080p (HDR RGB 444).
If it’s so noticeable, why did it take a service menu to confirm it’s occurring?

The PS5 has a video output setting:

4K Video Transfer Rate
Adjust the transfer rate for 4K resolution video. If you experience flickering on your screen, try selecting -1 or -2 to limit transfer speed, and possibly improve picture quality.

Is -1 same as 4:2:2 and -2 same as 4:2:0?
It has also Automatic, guess that selects between those two?

is it just me ? or do PS4 games look washed out on PS5 ? No problem with PS5 games.

I had the same issue with Warframe at first. When I started playing it was washed out, like there was way too little contrast, and it was definitely no where near as sharp looking as on the PS4. But then I discovered that the HDMI port I was using on the TV didn't support 4K HDR. So I swapped those over and now its all crisp and shiny again. It also seem to be running 4K60 which is nice, but it does have adaptive resolution in play so...

Maybe you are hitting something like that?

The PS5 has a video output setting:

4K Video Transfer Rate
Adjust the transfer rate for 4K resolution video. If you experience flickering on your screen, try selecting -1 or -2 to limit transfer speed, and possibly improve picture quality.

Is -1 same as 4:2:2 and -2 same as 4:2:0?
It has also Automatic, guess that selects between those two?

Yes, those mappings are correct. Automatic will downgrade from full chroma when deemed necessary by the system, I suppose.

Sony recently confirmed VRR will arrive soon to PS5 with an update.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

I wish the FAQ had a changelog. I confirmed with archive.org that VRR wasn't present in the original FAQ.

I wish the FAQ had a changelog. I confirmed with archive.org that VRR wasn't present in the original FAQ.
The article has being modified yesterday. That must be it. I read this article a few day ago and there wasn't any mention of VRR.

<meta property="article:modified_time" name="article:modified_time" content="2020-11-20T12:14:43-08:00">

Back