Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like an engine that just can't hit 60fps properly. They should have chosen a lower resolution to achieve it while there ought to have been an option for stable 30Hz lock at higher native resolution given the inconsistencies.

Hopefully they can address it since it's seemingly very well selling.

------
At lower resolutions, the triangle sizes get smaller too, and PS5 may still have an advantage there by default. Still, not a good look for MS with what appears to be a growing trend. o_O

Last edited:
In fact, at its worst, we noted PS5 delivering a 15 per cent performance advantage over its Microsoft equivalent in identical scenarios.

acv4tdknq.jpg

@Dictator Not 15% more, 30% more.

What is front end heavy? You mean little to no changes to the backend? i.e. renderer, asset loader and such of the engine?
I think Sony has an advantage in vertex part of rendering duo to programmable geometry pipeline and early dev tools they sent, but also in pixel fillrate duo to same amount of ROPs but considerably higher clock speeds. I dont know how and if devs are using mesh shaders but if shader cores are underutilize PS5 will always have advantage. This is almost similar to Nvidia vs Radeon few years ago, although at much much smaller scale.

acv4tdknq.jpg

@Dictator Not 15% more, 30% more.
Yea that is just massive difference that cannot really be explained by anything other then shitty state of dev tools and late dev kits MS sent. Sony played blinder here, they better fix that quickly (as in before they are not supply constrained) because they will be burned hard. Thats lower then 5700XT.

Digital Foundry was invited by MS to fly to the USA and make some videos on the Xbox. They seemed very confident about everything, however, in retrospect, I can see why MS would go the PR route of hyping up the device if the tools and the development kits were not ready yet.

Did the Digital Foundry guys who were flown to MS ever reflect on this?

Digital Foundry was invited by MS to fly to the USA and make some videos on the Xbox. They seemed very confident about everything, however, in retrospect, I can see why MS would go the PR route of hyping up the device if the tools and the development kits were not ready yet.

They flew more than them.
And they appreciate it. It’s a really in-depth look at the hardware well in advance. That’s what you should be doing with journalists. MS didn’t tell them what to write so, I can’t imagine walking away feeling like it’s a negative experience.

MS having issues with the software doesn’t mean they can’t be proud of what they’ve done with the hardware. It’s clear they have software problems; it took nearly forever to see a game actually running on XSX. It was concerning and that concern turned out to be real and legitimate.

you have to remember that when digital foundry went up to microsoft it was literally the week before microsoft decided everyone would be working from home for the foreseeable future. Its quite likely everything was looking rosy and on track software wise then.

I wonder why they didn't suggest having the variable resolution of the "High Frame Rate" mode while RT is enabled. The first video that DigitalFoundry did showed that it would always be >60hz, whereas the current 4k/RT mode is always <60hz.

I personally would like variable/reconstructed 4k w/RT @60hz. Currently that option doesn't exist and would provide the best of both worlds.

Will DF confirm the 422 chroma limit on ps5@4k120?

They may not be aware of it yet, as the HDTVTest video wasn't released until late yesterday. Even if they are, they may not have time to take away from their current work loads to investigate. Though it may be worth asking them directly on their Patreon or Social Media accounts, linking to the Vincent video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back