Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Ohio GOP Leadership attempts to make it look like they're going to be doing something but then you get to the exceptions and realize this won't be enforced either, exactly like the bars being restricted...

We are issuing a curfew in Ohio that will start Thursday. This will run from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. for 21 days. We believe this will help reduce #COVID19 spread. I'm also asking each Ohioan every day to do at least one thing that reduces your contact with others.

We are #InThisTogetherOhio. Each one of us will make a difference. If we can cut down contacts by 20-25 percent, this will make a difference. Paired with mask-wearing, this will go a long way from stopping our hospitals from being overrun.

Exceptions: The curfew does not apply to those who need to be at work, those who have an emergency, or those who need medical care. The curfew is not intended to stop anyone from getting groceries, a carry-out/drive-thru meal, or delivery. A lot of this is common sense.​

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1328783441681403905.html

Last edited:
Danish study on the effectiveness of masks:
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

"
Conclusion:
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection."

It looks like Sweden have decided to change their strategy:

https://www.ft.com/content/67fc5152-d500-4b9e-ad5c-79e1bf2b68e2

Warning that the situation was “going to get worse”, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said on Monday the limit on public gatherings in Sweden would be cut from 50 people to eight.

“It is a clear and sharp signal to every person in our country as to what applies in the future. Don’t go to the gym, don’t go the library, don’t have dinner out, don’t have parties — cancel!” Mr Lofven told a press conference.

I guess a total lockdown isn't required as Swedish people can follow such rules. Or am I naive? :)

Re-Worded
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by up to 50%

What? I can save up to 50% on my car insurance? No Thanks. I don't need the money. Let's just set it on fire.

I like your reworded item, as that doesn't diminish the safety provided.

So Ohio GOV was on TV earlier today, like before it was even noon, but he didn't say much of anything not already spewed forth before. Nothing of significance on their Twitter accounts either.

Today's Ohio COVId19 numbers have been delayed. All the pages that refer to it simply says (in hard to read powder red on powder blue background) Note: Today's case number summary will be delayed".

Pretty much the same as the Moderna vaccine, another mRNA one. I wonder if this is something we'll see replicated across the spectrum of vaccine types? I know the Russians are claiming over 90% efficacy with their modified adenovirus (no actual data available yet) and there are various other vaccines being developed using similar techniques including some from China and India. If all the vaccines offer a similar amount of protection for a reasonable amount of time, it ought to be possible to get a grip on things relatively quickly (once they are widely available) and really shut down the threat from the virus. I'll stick my neck out and say Christmas 2021 could be almost back to normal, especially as the various vaccine manufacturers between them expect to produce perhaps billions of doses by the end of 2021, all being well.

The problem is not knowing if they are all just creating asymptomatic carriers who could still potentially spread the disease! Probably not, but it will some years before we're certain. It would be rather helpful if the vaccines provided sterilising immunity to at least a proportion of those who are given them. Probably too much to hope for.

300 Maskless Anti-Vaxxers Proudly Hold Bizarro Farm Bash in Virginia

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/3...m-bash-in-virginia/ar-BB1baGde?ocid=Peregrine

As many Americans responsibly don face masks, distance from their families, and await the arrival of a COVID-19 vaccine, a group of 300 people sat tightly-packed on hay bales Sunday at a Virginia farm to hear anti-vaccination activists and “ancestral health” experts offer up an alternate reality.

The event was hosted by the Weston A. Price foundation—a nonprofit “dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to the human diet through education, research and activism,” according to its website. It was held at the Swoope, Virginia-based Polyface Farm, owned by the infamous Joel Salatin, whose own website describes him as a “Christian libertarian environmentalist capitalist lunatic farmer.”

The size of the gathering at Polyface Farms would be ripe for condemnation anywhere during a deadly pandemic, but it was especially stunning in Swoope, which The Staunton News Leader reported had a whopping 52 percent positivity rate on Wednesday.

Swoope’s Augusta County—pop. 74,701—had a cumulative total of 938 confirmed coronavirus cases on Wednesday, with 11 total deaths.

Re-Worded
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by up to 50%

Maybe you could propose your rewording to the actual researchers?

Most coronavirus cases are spread by people without symptoms, CDC now says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...ple-without-symptoms-cdc-now-says/ar-BB1bdOVi

Most coronavirus infections are spread by people who have no symptoms, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in newly updated guidance.

It's one of the main reasons mask use is so important, the CDC said.

"Most SARS-CoV-2 infections are spread by people without symptoms," the agency said in a section of its website devoted to explaining the science of how to use masks to control the spread of the virus.

"CDC and others estimate that more than 50% of all infections are transmitted from people who are not exhibiting symptoms," it added in the guidance posted Friday.

"This means at least half of new infections come from people likely unaware they are infectious to others."

According to the CDC, 24% of people who transmit the virus to others never develop symptoms and another 35% were pre-symptomatic. It also said 41% infected others while experiencing symptoms.

15 Members of Texas Family Contract COVID Linked to Birthday Party: 'Please Protect Yourself'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1...day-party-please-protect-yourself/ar-BB1bfXLY

About 15 family members in Texas contracted the coronavirus, traced to a recent gathering for a birthday party.

Alexa Aragonez, a 26-year-old from Arlington, said that her family felt it would be safe to celebrate her cousin's wife's birthday since collectively they had been sticking to strict COVID-19 guidelines, wearing masks and social distancing, according to a report by the Forth Worth Star-Telegram.

Alexa said she didn't attend the November 1 party, but she did drop off her 57-year-old mother, Enriqueta Aragonez. There were 11 other people in attendance, all younger than Enriqueta—including Alexa's pregnant cousin and four children all under the age of 12.

All 12 people who attended the party contracted COVID-19. Soon after, another three family members also received positive test results, for a total of 15. Alexa, however, tested negative.

Although the majority of the family faced mild cases of the virus, Enriqueta was hospitalized.

It's scary to think that what if my entire family would have had the severe case and every single one of the 15 folks had to go to the hospital," Alexa told the Star-Telegram. "One, I would feel guilty for taking resources from people that really do need it, and two, I would be at risk of losing my entire family."

Back