Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

3D audio profile test. When it says the different profiles are higher lower, does it mean in pitch or that the source is located higher / lower?
I think default or one lower feels better to me.

Sony isn't MS. Cerny isn't part of the MS team.

Cerny's design philosophy is clearly different to MS's isn't it?

So what if MS decided to go with the increase in CU and it benefits them with BC.

Cerny's philosophy is clearly aimed at having PS4/PS4 Pro backwards compatibilty as he sees it. He designed all the SOC's for the consoles so he would know what he would want as a result. The results clearly seem to indicate that Cerny's design philosophy of the PS5 was correct for Sony's implementation of backwards compatibilty with over 99% backwards compatible success rate.
BC on PS5 came with some limitations, plus it meant that the PS5 design had less freedom in reaching a certain perfmance.

The XBOX Series can play many BC games at 120Hz. This appears impossible with the PS5. MS could reach higher performance because BC didnt limit the number of CU's.
Sony had to consider higher clocks and thus more expensive cooling solutions which probably contributed in the console's bigger size and heavier mass

The backwards compatibility of each console is indicative of the platforms history. MS have relied on direct X from the og xbox and keeping things relatively easier to carry over to new hw which is why they can do what they are doing now.

Sony have largely restarted with new architecture and tools every time and have never thought about bc beyond the traditional idea of carrying over hardware to replicate the behavior of previous systems.

Even with MSs more fine grained approach with likely tons more resources dedicated to it, it clearly isnt perfect. so sonys rougher approach makes sense. Both machines approach to bc are leagues beyond any other previous attempts which is most important.

Id say comparisons to this or that particular initiative of individual systems are not all that fruitful

Developer Psyonix told Eurogamer there were a few reasons for the decision, and pointed out enabling 120fps on PS5 "requires a full native port", whereas it's just a "minor patch" on Xbox Series X and S.

"Our team's main focus this year was our recent free to play transition and updating major features like our Tournaments system," Psyonix said.

"Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn't possible due to our focus elsewhere."
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-court-for-ps4-games-running-at-120fps-on-ps5

Couple of my thoughts;

BC - Sony need to patch games - at least those on the PS+ collection to give the option of 60fps. Being digital only I am missing out on that option and would love to at least try TLG @60fps.

Sony need to get QR/suspend up and running - I love the jumping straight into levels but suspension with at least a couple games please.

The controller is incredibly nice - I’d say it’s perfect, but maybe I’m biased. It just feels so solid and premium - and then there’s the features!

Overall very happy, it’s snug inside my cabinet without the stand and seems fine so far but keeping a close eye on it.

Couple of my thoughts;

BC - Sony need to patch games - at least those on the PS+ collection to give the option of 60fps. Being digital only I am missing out on that option and would love to at least try TLG @60fps.

Sony need to get QR/suspend up and running - I love the jumping straight into levels but suspension with at least a couple games please.

The controller is incredibly nice - I’d say it’s perfect, but maybe I’m biased. It just feels so solid and premium - and then there’s the features!

Overall very happy, it’s snug inside my cabinet without the stand and seems fine so far but keeping a close eye on it.

They have an equivalent to QuickResume; you just need to select the cards. Rather than selecting "Start game", just go down a level and pick a card. You'll be surprised at how quickly you're in a game at specific checkpoints.

Ok, so a few things:

- DualSense is how I want to play all my games from now. Goddamit I'm spoiled.

- Completely inaudible during the day, but at night when in complete silence the coil whine is really distracting (perhaps more so than the Pro lifting off) because it's not a constant sound. I wonder if my unit makes more noise than others and I should just send it back (not now though.. I'm willing to wait about half a year until supply&demand settles down.. thank you EU warranty policies).

- I like the new UI, but I don't like the fact that putting the console in rest mode / offline takes more steps than it did with the old UI. They should bring the power icon to the bottom left.

- I want more peripherals that work like DualSense. I want a HOTAS, a steering wheel, VR controllers, etc. with voice coil actuators for haptic response and haptic triggers. Regular rumble is rubbish that needs to end. There I said it.

- I found my first bug: I was doing transferring my games from the PS4 Pro to the PS5, and in the middle of the process I tested/benchmarked my internet connection. It brought the whole transfer procedure down and I had to start over.

- Battery life on the DualSense seems solid. Which is great because using it is how I want to play all my games from now on.

- I found my second bug: When I installed Final Fantasy XV I tried to run the Comrades stand-alone DLC to test coop, and the whole thing crashed. It was the first time the console really rebooted.

Please tell me that the back of the cabinet of open for ventilation!?!?! :runaway:
It is! I'm not a monster, this thing was expensive :D

So how few hours of sleep did everyone get?
Not enough. Probably 4? (Ssssh don't tell my wife!)
Also, I forced myself out of my house where I've been working remotely and came to the office today, just so I could avoid temptation.

Sony isn't MS. Cerny isn't part of the MS team.

Cerny's design philosophy is clearly different to MS's isn't it?

So what if MS decided to go with the increase in CU and it benefits them with BC.

Cerny's philosophy is clearly aimed at having PS4/PS4 Pro backwards compatibilty as he sees it. He designed all the SOC's for the consoles so he would know what he would want as a result. The results clearly seem to indicate that Cerny's design philosophy of the PS5 was correct for Sony's implementation of backwards compatibilty with over 99% backwards compatible success rate.

PS5's BC certainly sounds less enthusiastic than SeriesX's but as I've mentioned before there's a cost for Microsoft consoles running everything on a virtual machine, and that cost is not zero.
The fact that the console is running all PS4 games natively (except maybe for a few CPU instructions) means the patches made for allowing higher framerates and/or higher dynamic resolution should be very simple to apply, and performance should be more predictable than an emulator. It is, after all, just behaving like a PS4 / Pro running at ~2.5x the clocks with >2x the memory bandwidth.

So that's why I can't do 4K120 4:4:4 on my LG C9 despite the TV supporting the full 48Gbps bandwidth of HDMI 2.1.
I was afraid it was a problem with my TV, but if it's on the console I guess I can expect a patch to solve it rather quickly (quicker than LG's cadence of TV firmwares at least..).

Whoa two surprising things

1. The bandwidth limit
2. He admits yt videos is not too lucrative

Hopefully they can upgrade it via firmware update, and yeah, Vincent, that's why other YouTubers begs money to patrons on their videos.

I was afraid it was a problem with my TV, but if it's on the console I guess I can expect a patch to solve it rather quickly (quicker than LG's cadence of TV firmwares at least..).
Seems unlikely to me.

It also demonstrates that "professional" game reviewers like Digital Foundry are just blind. Have to wait a week for a TV reviewer to tell us the output picture quality is crap.

They have an equivalent to QuickResume; you just need to select the cards. Rather than selecting "Start game", just go down a level and pick a card. You'll be surprised at how quickly you're in a game at specific checkpoints.
Yes, that’s the bit I mentioned when I said jumping straight into levels, but it’s not as useful as QR...if PS5 had QR as well it’s be hands down the most convenient of consoles to game in.

yeah, exactly my thoughts ... I bet that X900H also have limited bandwidth, because it doesn't do 4k120 from the PC, which is presumably 4:4:4.

edit:
Seems unlikely to me.

It also demonstrates that "professional" game reviewers like Digital Foundry are just blind. Have to wait a week for a TV reviewer to tell us the output picture quality is crap.

It looks like waiting for reviews was good strategy, because apparently HDMI 2.0 TV's will be enough for the PS5.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely to me.
Why is it unlikely? The console is 1 week old on a handful of markets and 1 day old on the rest of the world.. This is the same company that made HDR work through HDMI 1.4 on a console that was assembled (let alone developed) 2 years before the HDR10 standard was even finalized.

Eeerm... AFAIK nothing of what Vincent said is going against Digital Foundry's statements, and output picture quality isn't crap (I would know, I have a PS5 connected to a LG C9 just like Vincent)..
Vincent confirmed a 120Hz output out on the PS5, and the difference between decompressed RGB 4:4:4 and compressed YUV 4:2:2 is really hard to notice in anything other than text. I don't think DigitalFoundry ever set out to discover color artifacts within YUV coding and I don't know if they even have the test equipment for that.

In fact, the PS4 Pro would use YUV 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0 in most early HDMI 2.0 TVs that couldn't do 18Gbps and I don't remember people complaining about bad picture quality in those either.

Back