Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Spider-Man games are dense city open worlds and you can go from the console's main menu to swinging about the city in seconds. Seconds. :???:

You can measure just about everything in seconds. My C64 could load up Outrun from tape in seconds as well. about 300 seconds, but still, seconds.

You can measure just about everything in seconds. My C64 could load up Outrun from tape in seconds as well. about 300 seconds, but still, seconds.
You can do all sorts of dumb ass things but in the technical forums we generally use the appropriate metric.

As I posted previously, the games optimised for PS5's storage - like, Astrobot and Spider-Man Remastered and Spider-Man files Morales - are loading in a few seconds. It's apparent most other games continue to store and load their assets as they have been for years. Both Spider-Man games are dense city open worlds and you can go from the console's main menu to swinging about the city in seconds. Seconds. :???:
We dont know what they are doing under hood and what thy are loading but I am surprised certain games like NBA2K21 and complex games like AC with speed travel show such a little difference. Its bigger surprise then XSX being behind in launch titles tbh.

Only AMD card that is underperforming is...XSX lol

Seems like the only one that lost this match, so far. But its guaranteed MS will improve the Xbox platform, this is just the first week lol.
PS5 is just in a very good spot atm, BC is top notch and so is their hardware and games offerings. PC is in a sweet spot too with Zen3 and the Ampere/RNDA2 lineup, basically setting a 20TF 6800XT onboard competing very well in rendering.

We dont know what they are doing under hood and what thy are loading but I am surprised certain games like NBA2K21 and complex games like AC with speed travel show such a little difference.

It may not be known exactly what these games are doing under the good but it's blatantly clear they are not optimised for nextgen storage. And this is the point; using the performance of such games to dismiss nextgen storage as not being up to the hype while ignoring you go from home screen to swinging between buildings in Spider-Man is six seconds is silly.

This is what I mentioned the other day in the DigitalFoundry thread @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...al-discussion-2020.61533/page-51#post-2176214

The XboxOneGen9Aware is the XDK with minor additions to allow the game to see if they're running on Series X or Series S. It does not allow access to newer APIs or to RDNA2 functionality. The title is still operating in "Backwards Compatibility" mode. It's used mostly to allow higher resolutions or refresh rates. This is also used by Sea Of Thieves.
Interesting. I wonder how many took this route. I suspect cyberpunk and call of duty warzone. And Star Wars squadrons ?
Man I had no idea this is a thing. Could this also apply for Forza horizon ?

It may not be known exactly what these games are doing under the good but it's blatantly clear they are not optimised for nextgen storage. And this is the point; using the performance of such games to dismiss nextgen storage as not being up to the hype while ignoring you go from home screen to swinging between buildings in Spider-Man is six seconds is silly.
In part I am messing with you, given the reaction people have on cross gen launch title face offs these past few days.

I couldnt give a damn about additional few seconds of load time either way.

Interesting. I wonder how many took this route. I suspect cyberpunk and call of duty warzone. And Star Wars squadrons ?
Man I had no idea this is a thing. Could this also apply for Forza horizon ?
Any game that doesnt use any of the new features could take that route.
It doesn't stop games from having higher settings as well as framerates and resolutions.
It doesn't have access to new features like RT etc.

Don't know about all the games you mentioned but the 1P ones seemed like thats the route they may have taken.

Any game that doesnt use any of the new features could take that route.
It doesn't stop games from having higher settings as well as framerates and resolutions.
It doesn't have access to new features like RT etc.

Don't know about all the games you mentioned but the 1P ones seemed like thats the route they may have taken.

So it’s basically a pseudo BC instant enchantment. For upgrading titles without really upgrading them.

So in theory certain titles like AC Valhalla, because it doesn’t use any of the new features like VRS, RT etc. Could potentially be this type of title? Not that I’m saying it is of course, but LOL if Ubisoft just said “F it”

So it’s basically a pseudo BC instant enchantment. For upgrading titles without really upgrading them.

So in theory certain titles like AC Valhalla, because it doesn’t use any of the new features like VRS, RT etc. Could potentially be this type of title? Not that I’m saying it is of course, but LOL if Ubisoft just said “F it”

its possible, also in backwards compatible mode the GPU emulates a GCN gpu, not an RDNA one, so maybe an emulation layer is causing the issues? gears 5 was done in the GDK for sure and it doesnt have any issues, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I know! If only MS went with AMD and had something akin to 5700XT :)

Only AMD card that is underperforming is...XSX lol
So you are saying the 5700xt is better than the 6800, XSX is the 6800 bar, the 4 disabled CU and the other four removed? Without looking at whether it is RDNA 1 or 2, the PS5 is spec like a 5700xt with four disabled CU...in all benckmarks the 6800 beats the 5700 by the paper specs.

So the only conclusion in that the tools are giving problems. The 6800 is getting 60 fps at native 4k on ultra on AC: Valhalla, so even if you take away the 8 CUs, it should still be able to maintain 60 fps at native 4k at high settings, yet it cannot even maintain dynamic to 1440p 4k, yet it is not something wrong with the tools.

6800 has a ~2100 boost clock + 2000 memory and also consumes ~250 watts @ load (well over the entire SX power draw). So the "muh tools" argument as being the the only problem is pretty weak.

6800 has a ~2100 boost clock + 2000 memory and also consumes ~250 watts @ load (well over the entire SX power draw). So the "muh tools" argument as being the the only problem is pretty weak.
The benchmark was done with the same clock as the XSX, and even if the memory clock is slightly less, it should still be able to do native 4k at 60 fps with high settings in AC: Vahalla.

I don't know how people couldn't see the PS5 being an equal. You take a 5700 with RDNA 2 architectural changes then boost it to 2.2ghz then you have a really crazy GPU. I have only seen clocks boost that high on 5700s with the power limit soft mods and only then does it play tag with 2080s.
That is still 18% less than XSX cut down 6800, so it is still the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back